Currency for tips onboard

Jammy Bun

I know there isn't a currency exchange onboard, but does anyone know if the front desk is able to change large dollar bills into small ones, for tipping? I don't seem to be able to get hold of anything smaller than a $20 bill where we live!

Or should I just give tips (I'm thinking room service) in Euros or local currency - we're on the Midnight Sun itinerary, so currency will be UK £ and Norwegian krone.

Any help/advice gratefully received!

I know there isn't a currency exchange onboard, but does anyone know if the front desk is able to change large dollar bills into small ones, for tipping? I don't seem to be able to get hold of anything smaller than a $20 bill where we live!

Or should I just give tips (I'm thinking room service) in Euros or local currency - we're on the Midnight Sun itinerary, so currency will be UK £ and Norwegian krone.

Use your £ for tips and everyone will be happy to get them. All the employees seem to exchange and trade currencies.

Use your £ for tips and everyone will be happy to get them. All the employees seem to exchange and trade currencies.

Yes, in my experience the crew do trade currencies.

Our son used to work for Princess and was paid in US $. When in Alaska on a Vancouver based ship, many pax tipped in CAN $, so he bought the CAN $ off the service crew, who normally prefer US $.

Yes, the front desk can break bills. U$D is the ship board currency and I know that in the euro zone we were able to break large euro bills. I've never tried it in any other currency.

Thank you! That's another job can cross of my 'to do' list!

Janet

Yes, in my experience the crew do trade currencies.

Our son used to work for Princess and was paid in US $. When in Alaska on a Vancouver based ship, many pax tipped in CAN $, so he bought the CAN $ off the service crew, who normally prefer US $.

Thanks, that's interesting.

Janet

Yes, the front desk can break bills. U$D is the ship board currency and I know that in the euro zone we were able to break large euro bills. I've never tried it in any other currency.

Thanks! I'll take whatever dollars and euros we already have in our currency collection, and then rely on good old British £££.

Janet