Tipping on the way to the ship

Peachypooh

Porters in the US ports are also unionized, and earn more per year than 75% of the people they are taking care of.

Porters in Miami and Fort Lauderdale are unionized, but lets be clear that there is a significant difference in salary between the porters who load luggage at the drop-off points and the longshoremen who drive the forklifts that load the freight on the ship. It also may matter if they are just a "casual" or a "journeyman".

While in Port Canaveral earlier this month, we pulled our car up to the curb to unload our bags. I had a 5 in my pocket as this is what I usually tip. Two porters were chatting it up, glanced up and looked in our direction, and then continued on with their conversation. I popped the trunk, slowly got out of the car and lingered to give one of them a chance to get our bags out of the trunk. Not happening. So, I get the bag out of the trunk myself and as I'm rolling it to the luggage cart, surprise, one of the porters NOW decides to pay attention to me. Gee, thanks for the help with the bag buddy. Obviously at this point, I had determined I was not going to tip, because they didn't do their job.

Regarding the bit I highlighted in red: Why wait to see if one of them would come over? I always ask for what I need right then and there. If I popped the trunk and got out, already knowing I needed help, I'd say, "Sir, may I please get some help with these bags". Certainly one of them would come over to honor my request, and of course, I would tip for the service. Now, if no one even acknowledged me after my verbal request, then that's a different story. But, I must say, I have never pulled up to a luggage drop-off at either Port of Miami or Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale when the luggage porters were not already at our trunk before we even got out of the car. I have never cruised out of Port Canaveral though.

Regarding the bit I highlighted in red: Why wait to see if one of them would come over? I always ask for what I need right then and there. If I popped the trunk and got out, already knowing I needed help, I'd say, "Sir, may I please get some help with these bags". Certainly one of them would come over to honor my request, and of course, I would tip for the service. Now, if no one even acknowledged me after my verbal request, then that's a different story. But, I must say, I have never pulled up to a luggage drop-off at either Port of Miami or Port Everglades in Fort Lauderdale when the luggage porters were not already at our trunk before we even got out of the car. I have never cruised out of Port Canaveral though.

Honestly, I don't need anyone to carry my bag. But often times they are at the trunk anyways, so I let them take it, and tip. On this occasion they saw me and ignored me, and I did not feel the need to ask for their help. No sweat off my back, and an extra $5 that gets to stay in my pocket. Their loss. You snooze you lose.

What I had a problem with is the fact that the guy had the nerve to ask for money, in return for him literally doing nothing.

Honestly, I don't need anyone to carry my bag. But often times they are at the trunk anyways, so I let them take it, and tip. On this occasion they saw me and ignored me, and I did not feel the need to ask for their help. No sweat off my back, and an extra $5 that gets to stay in my pocket. Their loss. You snooze you lose.

What I had a problem with is the fact that the guy had the nerve to ask for money, in return for him literally doing nothing.

I understand this point, but in my previous post, I was only addressing the point I'd highlighted, if only to point out to readers to actually ASK and most likely they will receive the help they need.

It is very much reflective of the local culture and norms.

Porters in the Port of Vancouver as an example are unionized longshoreman. Very well paid and signage put up by the port saying Tips are not required or expected.

Some places such as Miami the expectation is to tip porters.

Shuttle buses are another weird one. Depends on where in the world your traveling.

Interesting. I think they are probably unionized most places but I guessing the reason for the sign has to do with tipping in Canada period. They do not have the same attitude as we do about tipping. I remember about 5 years ago we spent a week in and around Toronto. We took a wonderful day trip to the falls. After the guide led us all around, several stops and was very helpful our tour ended. I think we may have been the only people who tipped.

I’ve tipped the porters $20, for 1 - 3 people. If I went with a larger group, would likely raise it then. Shuttle drivers much the same as what has been posted. If they get up to help me load and unload my bags, I tip always.