Just back from Baltic on Breakaway

Trekker954

As a Royal Diamond Plus member, I'm no longer a loyal Royal. The food, especially desserts were incredible on NCL. They were always able to sit us in whatever restaurant we showed up in just about any time. Unlike Royal My Time Dining which really means, we can sit you at 5:15 or 9 pm. ugh The entertainers also amazed us. Burn the Floor dancers were incredible. Individual singers great in the bars. Staff was great. Even though most passengers took advance of the beverage package perk, I never waited for a drink. Plenty of bartenders and bars. I'm a believer now.

For the cons, lets say this is the first ship/sailing I've been on, even outside of North American, that Americans were not the majority. We only made up 40% when I inquired. The Baltic does incur a lot of lining up and queues, including guest services, excursion desk and OBC desk and of course St. Petersburg where everyone must queue in the theater, even those on private tours, and of course immigration lines are long. I know Americans understand what a queue is, but let me tell you, the majority of diversity on my sailing, left many ignorant of lining up which annoyed many.

One confrontation on the St. Petersburg immigration line to get back on the ship (you think this would move fast, but did not), was one pixie of woman yelled at a man who wanted to jump the line to join his buddies (all coming from a FIFA fan fest) (not her line mind you but she got involved with another annoyed passengers. Lets just say he was from a country that does not really acknowledge women and also one that immigration was taking their time with these men. This tiny woman laid into him good adding that he must not be use to a woman speaking to him like that. AT first he tried to ignore everyone on his case, but eventually sheepishly returned to the back of that line while his friends basically called him a derogatory name for listening to her. This type of behavior by many of the groups were endless. The lines on board guest services and excursions were crazy long waits. ugh.

If you have any questions about the Breakaway or Baltic, let me know.

As a Royal Diamond Plus member, I'm no longer a loyal Royal. The food, especially desserts were incredible on NCL. They were always able to sit us in whatever restaurant we showed up in just about any time. Unlike Royal My Time Dining which really means, we can sit you at 5:15 or 9 pm. ugh The entertainers also amazed us. Burn the Floor dancers were incredible. Individual singers great in the bars. Staff was great. Even though most passengers took advance of the beverage package perk, I never waited for a drink. Plenty of bartenders and bars. I'm a believer now.

For the cons, lets say this is the first ship/sailing I've been on, even outside of North American, that Americans were not the majority. We only made up 40% when I inquired. The Baltic does incur a lot of lining up and queues, including guest services, excursion desk and OBC desk and of course St. Petersburg where everyone must queue in the theater, even those on private tours, and of course immigration lines are long. I know Americans understand what a queue is, but let me tell you, the majority of diversity on my sailing, left many ignorant of lining up which annoyed many.

One confrontation on the St. Petersburg immigration line to get back on the ship (you think this would move fast, but did not), was one pixie of woman yelled at a man who wanted to jump the line to join his buddies (all coming from a FIFA fan fest) (not her line mind you but she got involved with another annoyed passengers. Lets just say he was from a country that does not really acknowledge women and also one that immigration was taking their time with these men. This tiny woman laid into him good adding that he must not be use to a woman speaking to him like that. AT first he tried to ignore everyone on his case, but eventually sheepishly returned to the back of that line while his friends basically called him a derogatory name for listening to her. This type of behavior by many of the groups were endless. The lines on board guest services and excursions were crazy long waits. ugh.

If you have any questions about the Breakaway or Baltic, let me know.

Trekker954, thanks for posting this! I leave on the Breakaway next week and enjoyed reading about everyone's experiences so far. Did you do any excursions (private or NCL) and what did you like the best of this itinerary? Did the ship feel crowded (I've only cruised smaller ships so this "mega" ship will be an experience for me)? Any tips you can offer?

Thanks for your quick posting. Couple of questions:

Regarding getting off the ship in STP - how diligently were they checking that you went through the theater to disembark? if they were diligent did they also check to see that you were registered for group A, B or C? I've heard mixed reviews on this process. Tempted to just walk off as we have a private tour.

How did the transfer to Stockholm go? Were you eligible for the free transport? Any issues with the train?

Lastly do you know if there's an "escape" room on this ship?

Thanks!

The NCL website lists Escape the Big Top under entertainment for the Breakaway and states there's no online reservations for it. Here's the description :

A carnival takes an unfortunate turn when a circus act goes awry. A magician puts a curse on everyone, and it’s up to you so solve the clues break the spell. Do you have what it takes to be the first to lift the curse? “Escape the Big Top” is fast-paced and full of excitement and intrigue — a not-to-be-missed activity for the whole family.

ForestG - thanks for the quick reply. I missed it on the dailies as it was not highlighted as a "special" event. Just buried in the list of activities for the day. Thank goodness for these boards as I now know to sign up for it up on embarking.

Thanks so much for the post. We are on the July 13 sailing and are so excited! I would be interested in knowing if you did any of the NCL excursions or did ports on your own, We have the Alla Grand Tour in SPB and Stockholm, and only one NCL tour at disembarkation, primarily because we have a late afternoon flight back to the US and the tour included transportation to the airport (and we wouldn't have to worry about storing luggage, etc.) I like the fact that the passengers are not primarily American, because it just adds more to the experience. Were there a lot of families and children on your sailing? I do like children (have 3 of my own), but it does add a different dynamic.

Great report! We did this cruise about a month ago and also noticed the line cutters. The popular move was for one person to join a group in front of us and to me, it's no big deal. But then another and another and another would join and it was very frustrating. They obviously knew what they were doing and it was a game and really pretty pathetic they felt the need to do this. I just brushed it off. This happened mostly on the lines to get back on the ship.

We really didn't experience many more line cutters on the ship - but as you said there were actually very few lines.

Thanks for the report! Nice to hear about the Breakaway when it is away, we get few reports. Did you go into the new "Syd Norman's Pour House?" (It was Fat Cats Jazz Bar before the short dry dock.)

Can't wait for Breakaway to return to New York for a brief time this fall. I will be on her repositioning cruise to New Orleans (my fourth time on. I agree with all you said about the ship!)