Jerk

c-leg5

last time we went to Georgetown, Grand Cayman there was a jerk grill just right of the pier, maybe opposite the National Museum. I don’t think it is still there. Is there any other place in town that has a grill and serves jerk in a casual setting?

don't remember JERK places in Cayman

JERK is a way to over spice crud meats ....... mask the protein flavor

Cayman is high dollar with little need to mask cheap ingredients

I LIKE jerk btw ..... just explaining IMO why you don't see often in CI

don't remember JERK places in Cayman

JERK is a way to over spice crud meats ....... mask the protein flavor

Cayman is high dollar with little need to mask cheap ingredients

I LIKE jerk btw ..... just explaining IMO why you don't see often in CI

Lol way to make it sound appetizing!

I have found a photo now of the location we went to on TA. It says Seymour’s but I am not sure that was the name when we went - I will have to search through old photos. Anyway it appears Seymour moves around and the last location I see is near Calico Jacks, not sure if he is still there.

Jerk is very much part of Caymanian culture. The Cayman Islands and Jamaica used to be the same country, so there was a lot of cross-pollination of food styles. There are quite a few jerk stands spread across the island, and people each have their favourites. You can find jerk dishes in many restaurants.

There are two basic styles of jerk - the dry rub and the paste/marinade. The dry rub is what is most often found in the USA, in my experience, whereas the marinade is more common on Grand Cayman (and presumably other places too - I'm not going to claim that it is unique to Cayman). The scotch bonnet peppers that are used give it a heat and a flavour which is very tasty. But jerk isn't just about the seasoning, but how it's cooked, too - traditionally it is done over green wood, usually pimento wood. That is more rare on Cayman - for that you need to go to Jamaica.

That being said, finding a jerk stand can be a challenge. They're not well-documented and can move around sometimes. I don't go into George Town very often, and usually find my jerk stands away from town, but here is what I have been able to find:

There used to be "Di Bess Jerk Stand" at the Tortuga Rum factory. That may be where Seymours went.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147366-d5955475-Reviews-Di_Bess_Jerk_Stand-George_Town_Grand_Cayman_Cayman_Islands.html

My tip would be to get to the port, wander around chatting with people in the various shops, and find a Caymanian and ask them where the best jerk stand in town is. :-)

We loved the jerk chicken at Coconut Joe’s along with the drink specials. Located across from the Comfort Suites and Marriott.

http://www.coconutjoecayman.com/?utm_source=tripadvisor&utm_medium=referral

I’d be surprised not to find jerked dishes on Cayman - that is so popular throughout the Carib!

Edited by blue_water
spelling

There used to be "Di Bess Jerk Stand" at the Tortuga Rum factory. That may be where Seymours went.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g147366-d5955475-Reviews-Di_Bess_Jerk_Stand-George_Town_Grand_Cayman_Cayman_Islands.html

The sign along the road by the entrance to the rum factory says “now featuring Seymour’s jerk” so I’d say you’re right. I’ve heard good things about it, but haven’t had it myself.

If you’re going to the beach, there’s often a jerk stand in the vicinity of Public Beach.

Our favourite is a stand in a parking lot near the Prospect Playhouse and the closed car wash, but that’s not near the port unless your ship diverts to the Spotts backup tender area.

If you ask one of the security guards at the port exit, I’m sure they have a lunchtime favourite relatively close to the port.

Oh you will find jerk dishes at just about every place. The question is how close they are to authentic jerk, rather than just a case of throw the chicken on the grill with a bit of jerk seasoning, you know?

Yes, the jerk marinade and Scotch Bonnets is what we crave, for sure. But you can’t always get the real thing, and we’ve enjoyed some good alternatives...