San Juan hotels are SO expensive!

lyrehc0521

Last January. we had the LaConcha for $99.00 per nite. Sweet deal thru Priceline. This year , we have the CY Isla Verde for $336 taxes included. I happen to have a comp room but others in my group do not. I noticed, for your dates, that Priceline is offering a 4 star hotel in Isla Verde for $146.00 plus taxes. I would feel fairly confident that it would be a decent hotel. If you go for it, you pay in full up front, it is non refundable (however they do offer insurance but I am not sure what the covers) and they pick the hotel. Last January, we got lucky with LaConcha since it was right after the hurricanes. There are some pretty nice properties in Isla Verde, ie Courtyard, Hampton Suites, Embassy Suites, Intercontinental, that I think would qualify as 4 star.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not only are the hotel rates and associated resort fees expensive, but meals in the hotel are expensive. The Courtyard by Marriott Isla Verda is at the eastern edge of the beach so nothing is a short walk away. You pay a hefty price for the convenience of eating at the hotel.

If price is your main consideration, then the only reasonable options are a bed and breakfast, guest house or condo rental. However, these options are often more distant from shops, restaurants and other attractions.

Consider a hotel in Condado a block or so away from the beach. Their prices are lower, and they are close to all the attractions along Ashford Avenue. 

Consider making a fully-refundable deposit on a room now while continuing to watch prices. They bounce around a great deal--especially when check-in nears.

On 10/20/2018 at 8:47 AM, travelbug1971 said:

We stayed at Sheraton Old San Juan. Very nice, clean place, close to the dock. A Walgreens is underneath the hotel, if you need anything before the cruise. 

We also just stayed again at the Sheraton Old San Juan last month. Perfect location...great hotel and price point.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, just looking for recommendations, and with the CruiseCritic app no longer working it's somewhat hard to utilize the mobile version on my phone.

Anyways, I am tempted to book through AirBnB as well. I hope to find something decent as we only need it one night before the cruise. Looks like bundling our flight and hotel may be a better buy.

• 2 weeks later...