Sharing Wi-fi Across Devices?

DamianG

12 hours ago, paulatsea said:

Modems / Routers being changed for starlink now - just done our cabin.

Forgot to ask….are they fitting a modem / router in every single cabin? If so that should eliminate the issue that many report that the WiFi works well in public areas but is patchy in some cabins.

51 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Forgot to ask….are they fitting a modem / router in every single cabin? If so that should eliminate the issue that many report that the WiFi works well in public areas but is patchy in some cabins.

I think I read somewhere, pre covid,  that the new TVs installed on Aurora were capable of being a wifi booster, probably all modern smart TVs are.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think I read somewhere, pre covid,  that the new TVs installed on Aurora were capable of being a wifi booster, probably all modern smart TVs are.

I hope that also applies to the TVs in the accessible balcony cabins. If you recall, they didn’t fit the newer / larger wall mounted ones in the accessible balcony cabins on Aurora, they just replaced the tiny rubbish ones with marginally bigger rubbish ones!

16 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I hope that also applies to the TVs in the accessible balcony cabins. If you recall, they didn’t fit the newer / larger wall mounted ones in the accessible balcony cabins on Aurora, they just replaced the tiny rubbish ones with marginally bigger rubbish ones!

It was the "new" one on Aurora, I cannot remember where I read this info, but it must have been something on board.

There are a couple of blokes in jeans who have diligently been attaching a bizarre looking set of antennas to the rear of Aurora.  They’ve been out there in bad weather on sea days holding on tightly as they work.  Amazing how hi tec can look rather low tec to the casual observer.

As to whether this is starlink I don’t know, but I assume it’s a fair assumption.

IMG_2110.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2023 at 9:40 PM, Selbourne said:

Hi Selbourne - I believe so.

They were doing something behind the TV and said they were doing every cabin.

They are also fitting what look to be wireless transmitter/ receivers on the corridor ceilings by the cabins.

Yesterday they were setting up the antennas on the top deck.

Edited by paulatsea
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, crompton21 said:

There are a couple of blokes in jeans who have diligently been attaching a bizarre looking set of antennas to the rear of Aurora.  They’ve been out there in bad weather on sea days holding on tightly as they work.  Amazing how hi tec can look rather low tec to the casual observer.

As to whether this is starlink I don’t know, but I assume it’s a fair assumption.

IMG_2110.jpeg

Pretty sure it is - saw the same guys that were doing the cabins - they said they would be doing antennas on the top deck.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, crompton21 said:

IMG_2110.jpeg

That contraption looks rather like a large touring caravan, and the antennae more like chimneys,  or maybe the escape pod for any Italian Captain,

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

That contraption looks rather like a large touring caravan, and the antennae more like chimneys,  or maybe the escape pod for any Italian Captain,

5 hours ago, crompton21 said:

IMG_2110.jpeg

I think this is the aft port side of Auroras deck 13 Sun Deck. You can see the rectangular hatch on the roof and wooden planking which is on the image of Aurora taken at Andalsness in July. Foreshortening of the image means the funnel does not show on the Starlink image. The antennas are Starlink ones.

AURORA DECK 13.jpg

Starlink is live on Aurora.

Using it on Aurora now.

Ultimate package for the last few days of the cruise.

Very good performance in the cabin.

About 30 mbps download and 18 mbps upload speed according to various speed test I have run - these aren’t very accurate- but it’s like bring at home.

Very impressed.

Way faster than at the start of the cruise.

I will buy a full cruise package next time.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/7/2023 at 9:34 PM, IanB68 said:

Signed up for 1 device, when i wanted to check emails etc just turned on the mobile hotspot on wifes mobile and was able to connect via the hotspot with no issues

We've signed up for one device, mainly for my wife. We both have android phones and have used the hotspot feature which works like a dream at home so I presume it does on the ship, could you go further than the odd e mail for example. We're both light users, we just really use whatsapp and I might look at the football results or news every now and then. 

Can anyone with android phones and the hotspot facility confirm. It's not a biggie but could be handy I guess. 

On 1/11/2024 at 1:34 PM, doog442 said:

We've signed up for one device, mainly for my wife. We both have android phones and have used the hotspot feature which works like a dream at home so I presume it does on the ship, could you go further than the odd e mail for example. We're both light users, we just really use whatsapp and I might look at the football results or news every now and then. 

Can anyone with android phones and the hotspot facility confirm. It's not a biggie but could be handy I guess. 

Just back from Britannia in the Caribbean. I can confirm the hotspot feature worked a dream. Signed my wife into the Ship's WiFi and enabled the hotspot on her phone, then I connected to the internet through her phone for all the holiday. Both devices worked at once. The new Starlink satellite's work a treat as well.

WhatsApp, Facebook, Email, General Web access basically just not video (e.g. no Netflix, Disney+ or YouTube) on the "Essential" package.

• Thanks 1