Sharing Wi-fi Across Devices?

DamianG

To those who have purchased a Travel Router - did you try "Mobile Hotspot" (e.g. on a Samsung Galaxy S22 the mobile hotspot feature turns your phone into a de-facto travel router and works whether your phone is connected via the phone's mobile data or WiFi connection). The one time I tried it it didn't work but that was maybe 4 years ago. Not bought the internet package since.

On 10/4/2023 at 2:53 PM, paulatsea said:

You may use multiple devices on one package but can only use a single device at any one time. If you wish to use multiple devices simultaneously, you will need to buy additional packages that are available at a discounted rate. 

from P&O site .

So, I’m confused about this because when I try and buy the package at £134.40 and click on 2 devices under my husband’s name (but zero device under my own name) it’s doubling the cost to £255.

So, am I correct that if I click one device only, my husband and I can both use our phones and I pads as long as we are not logged on at the same time?

16 minutes ago, The Med said:

So, I’m confused about this because when I try and buy the package at £134.40 and click on 2 devices under my husband’s name (but zero device under my own name) it’s doubling the cost to £255.

So, am I correct that if I click one device only, my husband and I can both use our phones and I pads as long as we are not logged on at the same time?

Yes correct - just get it for one device / person and both use it at different times. Make sure you log off on one device before using the other one.

Edited by paulatsea
  • Thanks 1

I am currently on Aurora and have booked the internet for the whole cruise for one device. Access can only be from one device at a time (obviously) but if you try to log on from a different device, it asks whether you want to disconnect the device logged on. If so, it disconnects the other device so you can log on. 

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, pete14 said:

I am currently on Aurora and have booked the internet for the whole cruise for one device. Access can only be from one device at a time (obviously) but if you try to log on from a different device, it asks whether you want to disconnect the device logged on. If so, it disconnects the other device so you can log on. 

Ditto Iona.  Access from one device at a time but you can log off Device A and log onto Device B.  Or logon to Device B and boot Device A off.  We had two phones and a laptop that we connected one at a  time.

I'll add Iona's wifi was very good, could stream and download no problem though did go for the pricier option.  Can't remember it going down either.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, pete14 said:

Pete is starlink on aurora yet ? I’m going on Friday dec 1st. Hope cruise is good and aurora is all ok ?

On 11/26/2023 at 8:06 PM, pete14 said:

It worked that way on Ventura as well. No need to log off. When either of us logged on, if the other hadn’t logged off we just clicked “Disconnect other device” (or whatever the words were). We just payed for the one device. It worked really well but I think Ventura had Starlink. I’m concerned that it doesn’t sound as though it’s been installed on Aurora yet or, if it has, it doesn’t work as well. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/27/2023 at 7:12 AM, paulatsea said:

Pete is starlink on aurora yet ? I’m going on Friday dec 1st. Hope cruise is good and aurora is all ok ?

Starlink is not on Aurora yet. The email with the discount offer I responded to implied quite strongly that it was much improved but didn’t mention Starlink. It depends what you want to do. We were not looking to do anything really complicated, just browsing and email etc and it was OK for that. We had a couple of outages of several hours for which we have been refunded (only on request I believe).

Despite her age, I think Aurora is a lovely ship. We found issues with the offerings in the MDR which I may expand upon further to end my blog. Sindhu and the Beach House are quite small and booked up quickly so if you want to use them, book them as soon as online bookings are available. I hope you have a great cruise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

Starlink is not on Aurora yet. The email with the discount offer I responded to implied quite strongly that it was much improved but didn’t mention Starlink. It depends what you want to do. We were not looking to do anything really complicated, just browsing and email etc and it was OK for that. We had a couple of outages of several hours for which we have been refunded (only on request I believe).

Despite her age, I think Aurora is a lovely ship. We found issues with the offerings in the MDR which I may expand upon further to end my blog. Sindhu and the Beach House are quite small and booked up quickly so if you want to use them, book them as soon as online bookings are available. I hope you have a great cruise.

Thanks Pete - we love Aurora  - always been good for us. Can’t wait to get onboard on Friday.

10 minutes ago, paulatsea said:

Thanks Pete - we love Aurora  - always been good for us. Can’t wait to get onboard on Friday.

Have a great cruise Paul. It will be interesting to know if you can find out anything about when Starlink is being installed on Aurora. I asked at reception on Ventura if Starlink was ‘live’ (as I assumed that it was) and whether they knew if (or when) it was live on Aurora. The chap that I asked didn’t even understand the question, so a conversation ensured between all the reception staff and none of them even knew what Starlink was, let alone whether or not it was fitted to any or all of the ships. Strange given how P&O has been promoting it 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Have a great cruise Paul. It will be interesting to know if you can find out anything about when Starlink is being installed on Aurora. I asked at reception on Ventura if Starlink was ‘live’ (as I assumed that it was) and whether they knew if (or when) it was live on Aurora. The chap that I asked didn’t even understand the question, so a conversation ensured between all the reception staff and none of them even knew what Starlink was, let alone whether or not it was fitted to any or all of the ships. Strange given how P&O has been promoting it 🤔

Thanks Selbourne - Will do. I’ll report back.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

When you're queuing to speak to P&O at present they keep repeating a message about how excited they are Starlink is now onboard all their ships!  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

When you're queuing to speak to P&O at present they keep repeating a message about how excited they are Starlink is now onboard all their ships!  

It might be onboard but it certainly was not connected on Aurora. Or at least I hope it wasn’t connected because if it was, it is most underwhelming for a system that is supposed to be a big improvement. 

• Like 2

Might be a convenient thread to mention this on (apologies if not!)......

We were on Arvia on her Transatlantic cruise 27/10 to 10/11 and decided we could live without wifi for two weeks, cost being the deciding factor.

We had read that if we wanted to we could take out a 24 hour pass at £18(??) anytime during the cruise so decided to use some of our OBC. When I logged on to My Holiday and navigated to WiFi, I was offered WiFi for the last 6 days of the cruise at a reasonable £36, ie £6 per day for the remainder of the cruise. 

I gratefully accepted and, as said, switched between my, and my wife's phone and even the Kindle to download a couple of  books.

If one device is logged in and you try to log in with a second device, it offers you the option to disconnect the first.

Incidentally, having bought the package, I found that 'My Holiday' worked a lot better!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

However I assume it would have been SpaceX rockets that launched the starlink satellites, unless Musk subcontracted it to NASA.

Yes - all Elon’s spaceX company but different launch systems for different purposes.

The space-x “starship” is the one which auto destructed - it’s the  prototype vehicle to carry people and cargo to orbit,  the moon, mars. 

It was a successful test in that it got further than the previous ones. Nothing to do with starlink satellites.

space-x “falcon” are the ones that launch the starlink satellites. 

to infinity and beyond !

Edited by paulatsea

On 11/28/2023 at 1:47 PM, paulatsea said:

Thanks Selbourne - Will do. I’ll report back.

On Aurora the noo.

starlink update:

Found an engineer who knows what’s going on ! Reception and other crew don’t know anything.

Modems / Routers being changed for starlink now - just done our cabin.
Antennas on the top will be changed soon weather permitting.

Engineer reckons less than 2 weeks to switch over.

All great on Aurora - currently on route to Fuerteventura.

currently using the WiFi ultimate package for the sea days when I need it.
satisfactory in the cabin.  

Very good elsewhere.

Over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paulatsea said:

On Aurora the noo.

starlink update:

Found an engineer who knows what’s going on ! Reception and other crew don’t know anything.

Modems / Routers being changed for starlink now - just done our cabin.
Antennas on the top will be changed soon weather permitting.

Engineer reckons less than 2 weeks to switch over.

All great on Aurora - currently on route to Fuerteventura.

currently using the WiFi ultimate package for the sea days when I need it.
satisfactory in the cabin.  

Very good elsewhere.

Over.

Thank you so much Paul. That’s great news. Enjoy the rest of your cruise. Miserable here!

• Thanks 1