Ketchican/tender

JGB

I noticed in a couple of reviews that the Grand tendered in Ketchican and that there was a problem with timely return tenders.

Specifically that there was a significant gap in time between tender return. My question is this..does any one know if this was a one time event or does this happen on a routine basis. I ask because my tour ends at 1:30 and I have a spa appt for 3..if I cannot get back to the ship I not only miss my appt but also get charged for it.

John

Tendering is only necessary at Ketchikan if there are more than four ship in port that day.

Here is the 2018 ship schedule, including expected berth number:

https://evogov.s3.amazonaws.com/media/16/media/122155.pdf

On Monday June 18 Grand will be tendering all day; on Monday August 27 Grand will tender upon arrival but move into Berth 4 after Golden vacates it at 2:00.

I may have missed other instances so double check your specific date there. If you are tendering then 90 minutes to reboard may be tight.

Hi John, you will probably be docked in Ketchican (we've been there 6 times and never tendered), but if there are more ships in that day than there are berths you may have to tender. I think if you check your travel itinerary on the Princesses site you can see if you are tendering at any particular port. You may also be able to check the cruise ship schedule for the port and see how many ships are there and maybe even the berth numbers assigned. Ketchican is a fun town, enjoy!

I noticed in a couple of reviews that the Grand tendered in Ketchican and that there was a problem with timely return tenders.

Specifically that there was a significant gap in time between tender return. My question is this..does any one know if this was a one time event or does this happen on a routine basis. I ask because my tour ends at 1:30 and I have a spa appt for 3..if I cannot get back to the ship I not only miss my appt but also get charged for it.

John

What day do you hit Ketchikan? As others have said, it depends on how many ships are there that day. With the specific day folks could tell if you even need to worry about tendering at all.

We have been there 4 times over the years and have always been able to use the docks. I have heard on here that there are times ships have to tender because the piers are in use. Check the arrivals on the day your ship will be there and keep in mind the time of arrival. More than 4 ships and an arrival late can well mean tendering.

This was helpful for me even though I wasn't the OP. 4 ships in port the day I will be there, so should be ok.

Note to OP, in the past when I have been somewhere that only requires a tender when there are a lot of ships present, this was not noted in my cruise personalizer, it was only made aware to me after boarding so they may not always provide advance notice.

This was helpful for me even though I wasn't the OP. 4 ships in port the day I will be there, so should be ok.

Note to OP, in the past when I have been somewhere that only requires a tender when there are a lot of ships present, this was not noted in my cruise personalizer, it was only made aware to me after boarding so they may not always provide advance notice.

We have seen the need for tender in a port go back and forth. On our last cruise, we were supposed to tender in Juneau but ended up docked. Status changed about 2 month before sailing.

Tendering is only necessary at Ketchikan if there are more than four ship in port that day.

Here is the 2018 ship schedule, including expected berth number:

https://evogov.s3.amazonaws.com/media/16/media/122155.pdf

On Monday June 18 Grand will be tendering all day; on Monday August 27 Grand will tender upon arrival but move into Berth 4 after Golden vacates it at 2:00.

I may have missed other instances so double check your specific date there. If you are tendering then 90 minutes to reboard may be tight.

As we are there on the 27th Aug, we are tendering in the morning but may into Berth 4 later in the day, according to your observations ;). Thanks.