Best store for souvenirs and lunch

ryzmom

When docked in San Juan on Oasis, where is the best place to buy cool souvenirs, t-shirts, etc and the best place for lunch? We will be visiting both Forts on this day from 7 am - 1 pm. Thanks friends!

Are you sure about doing both forts, shopping and lunch in such a short time? If you get off the ship at 7:30am that gives you 5 hours time (assuming a 12:30pm all aboard time) to do everything. If you rush yourself and spend no more than one hour at each fort and one hour for lunch, that gives you one hour to shop and another hour total for walking from one place to another and back to the ship.

El Morro, while smaller in span than San Cristobal, is more impressive, better views and has more to see. I'd do just one of the forts and not be in such a rush. But that's just me. Whichever you decide, I truly hope you enjoy and have fun!!

Are you sure about doing both forts, shopping and lunch in such a short time? If you get off the ship at 7:30am that gives you 5 hours time (assuming a 12:30pm all aboard time) to do everything. If you rush yourself and spend no more than one hour at each fort and one hour for lunch, that gives you one hour to shop and another hour total for walking from one place to another and back to the ship.

El Morro, while smaller in span than San Cristobal, is more impressive, better views and has more to see. I'd do just one of the forts and not be in such a rush. But that's just me. Whichever you decide, I truly hope you enjoy and have fun!!

Thanks so much for letting me know. I didn't know how we were going to do it, but I was determined. I plan on taking the trolley and tram as much as we can and then walking the rest. We may not get to do a full sit down lunch but we do want to shop some. Thanks again!

Thanks so much for letting me know. I didn't know how we were going to do it, but I was determined. I plan on taking the trolley and tram as much as we can and then walking the rest. We may not get to do a full sit down lunch but we do want to shop some. Thanks again!

Don't wait for the trolleys. They are not even close to keeping to a schedule and when they do come they are usually full. I was in San Juan two weeks ago on a Wednesday. We spent just about over two hours on the grounds in front of El Morro with my family and saw the trolley twice. What concerned me wad that the one I saw was the enclosed type, which is usually the one circling the inner part of the city and never once saw the open-air one that circles the outer part that include stops at the piers, the capitol building and the forts. Honestly, unless you have mobility problems, you're better off walking. Less time wasted...

• 4 weeks later...

We will have similar times in San Juan 7am to 2pm. I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. Which fort would you think it’s best suitable for the kids? I’m not planning to dwell too much since their patience don’t last too long lol but we would like to also do some quick shopping. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We will have similar times in San Juan 7am to 2pm. I have a 4 year old and a 2 year old. Which fort would you think it’s best suitable for the kids? I’m not planning to dwell too much since their patience don’t last too long lol but we would like to also do some quick shopping. Any ideas?

Considering the kids I'd do El Morro. It's a bit of a longer walk than to San Cristobal fort but might be more fun for them and here's why: If you take Paseo de la Princesa after exiting the ship to your left you'll come to a big fountain on the way where the kids can dip their hands and play some. To the left of the fountain, in the corner of that plaza, if you look down into the water they will see huge tarpon fish roaming around. There's a fishermen area right there and the fish simply stay most of the day waiting for the fishermen to simply throw them their scraps. If you're lucky, you'll see them in action and witness the frenzy from the fish. They'll love it! Keep walking around the base of the city wall towards the fort and re-enter the city through the old big red city gate. There's a snow cone vendor in that corner which comes handy because a snow cone can keep the kiddos entertained for the next part. Make a left upon passing the gate and walk up a short but steep hill towards la Rogativa Statue where they will get their first glimpse of the bay from above. Keep walking past la Rogativa and keep right at the fork in the road. On the way you'll find lots of cats here. There's a program called Save a Gato (cat) where they feed the strays, try to keep them healthy and even collect kittens to control population. The kittens, once matured a bit more, are put up for adoption through local Petsmart stores.

Any way.... at the end of this street lies El Morro. Families take the kids all the time to the grounds just outside the fort to fly kites since 90% of the time, the wind is great for it. You can buy kites at Walgreens or CVS when you leave the ship just across the street or from vendors locate on the very far right of the grounds in front of the fort on the street near one of the plazas (not towards the fort). Once you're done at the fort walk towards calle Del Cristo which is downhill all the way. There are some shops there and at Fortaleza street (make a left where vehicle traffic does at the bottom of the hill). But before making that left take the kids all the way to the end where an old chapel is located. To it's right is the Pigeon Park. Buy a bag of corn or peas for about a buck each and have the kids feed the pigeons. They will even eat from their hands!! It will be an awesome experience for them. You can do the rest of your shopping of Fortaleza street on your way back to the ship.

My kid is 15 now and we still love go to SJ and do things like this.

• Thanks 1

El M is the fort, but if boredom is a concern, then let them a fly a kite on the grounds outside the fort.

El M is the fort, but if boredom is a concern, then let them a fly a kite on the grounds outside the fort.

I second the kites if your kids get bored. When we spent a couple of hours at Fort El Morro, there were a lot of families with kids (even some adults) flying kites. Not positive since I've never looked to purchase a kite there but I've seen other comments where local places have cheap kites for sale so you don't have to worry about bringing them from home. Great, wide open and breezy area for flying kites.

Considering the kids I'd do El Morro. It's a bit of a longer walk than to San Cristobal fort but might be more fun for them and here's why: If you take Paseo de la Princesa after exiting the ship to your left you'll come to a big fountain on the way where the kids can dip their hands and play some. To the left of the fountain, in the corner of that plaza, if you look down into the water they will see huge tarpon fish roaming around. There's a fishermen area right there and the fish simply stay most of the day waiting for the fishermen to simply throw them their scraps. If you're lucky, you'll see them in action and witness the frenzy from the fish. They'll love it! Keep walking around the base of the city wall towards the fort and re-enter the city through the old big red city gate. There's a snow cone vendor in that corner which comes handy because a snow cone can keep the kiddos entertained for the next part. Make a left upon passing the gate and walk up a short but steep hill towards la Rogativa Statue where they will get their first glimpse of the bay from above. Keep walking past la Rogativa and keep right at the fork in the road. On the way you'll find lots of cats here. There's a program called Save a Gato (cat) where they feed the strays, try to keep them healthy and even collect kittens to control population. The kittens, once matured a bit more, are put up for adoption through local Petsmart stores.

Any way.... at the end of this street lies El Morro. Families take the kids all the time to the grounds just outside the fort to fly kites since 90% of the time, the wind is great for it. You can buy kites at Walgreens or CVS when you leave the ship just across the street or from vendors locate on the very far right of the grounds in front of the fort on the street near one of the plazas (not towards the fort). Once you're done at the fort walk towards calle Del Cristo which is downhill all the way. There are some shops there and at Fortaleza street (make a left where vehicle traffic does at the bottom of the hill). But before making that left take the kids all the way to the end where an old chapel is located. To it's right is the Pigeon Park. Buy a bag of corn or peas for about a buck each and have the kids feed the pigeons. They will even eat from their hands!! It will be an awesome experience for them. You can do the rest of your shopping of Fortaleza street on your way back to the ship.

Wow thank you so much for the detailed reply, I will take everything into consideration, awesome tips!

Thank you!

I don't know how I missed your post...I'd have "second this" for yours too. I know that Paseo de la Princesa had a lot of damage from the storm in March and was closed down for a while. I had seen pictures of some of the damage and could not believe the destruction. The first of the March storms affected us and we're a bit inland. A neighbor lost a car when their tree fell on it from the winds. When did they finally get the repairs done to Paseo de la Princesa and have it open again? That had to have been a major blow after last year's hurricanes. We really enjoyed that last time we were in San Juan and I'm still "arm twisting" to get back, cruise or for a week. Thanks for the update.

I don't know how I missed your post...I'd have "second this" for yours too. I know that Paseo de la Princesa had a lot of damage from the storm in March and was closed down for a while. I had seen pictures of some of the damage and could not believe the destruction. The first of the March storms affected us and we're a bit inland. A neighbor lost a car when their tree fell on it from the winds. When did they finally get the repairs done to Paseo de la Princesa and have it open again? That had to have been a major blow after last year's hurricanes. We really enjoyed that last time we were in San Juan and I'm still "arm twisting" to get back, cruise or for a week. Thanks for the update.

Hey there!! Yes, Paseo de la Princesa has mostly reopened. There is an area just behind the big fountain where they still haven't replaced the guardrails that are at the lowest level near the water line so that's still closed. The wooden pier that used to be just before you reached the San Juan gate was completely destroyed by the big swells in March as well and I don't really think they have any plans to rebuild it in the near future. Other than that, the par of the wall that borders the water (not the old City wall but the one that separates the walkway from the water) was also destroyed from the wooden pier to the first corner (as when you're walking towards the ship) was also destroyed and has been replaced by temporary water filled plastic barriers like those found on road work zones. Thankfully, they are white rather than bright orange! The huge Ficus tree besides the city gate had to be cut down to almost a stump to save it but it's slowly flourishing again.

BTW, keep up that arm twisting!! For logistics reasons I had to cancel my family Fascination sailing this past summer in lieu of a two week Vegas/Grand Canyon/Antelope Canyon/Arches Nat. Park/Yellowstone vacation/road trip in 2019. BUT..... I am booked with DW for March 2020 on the Norwegian Epic sailing From San Juan during it's winter season deployment here.

Hey there!! Yes, Paseo de la Princesa has mostly reopened. There is an area just behind the big fountain where they still haven't replaced the guardrails that are at the lowest level near the water line so that's still closed. The wooden pier that used to be just before you reached the San Juan gate was completely destroyed by the big swells in March as well and I don't really think they have any plans to rebuild it in the near future. Other than that, the par of the wall that borders the water (not the old City wall but the one that separates the walkway from the water) was also destroyed from the wooden pier to the first corner (as when you're walking towards the ship) was also destroyed and has been replaced by temporary water filled plastic barriers like those found on road work zones. Thankfully, they are white rather than bright orange! The huge Ficus tree besides the city gate had to be cut down to almost a stump to save it but it's slowly flourishing again.

BTW, keep up that arm twisting!! For logistics reasons I had to cancel my family Fascination sailing this past summer in lieu of a two week Vegas/Grand Canyon/Antelope Canyon/Arches Nat. Park/Yellowstone vacation/road trip in 2019. BUT..... I am booked with DW for March 2020 on the Norwegian Epic sailing From San Juan during it's winter season deployment here.

Thanks for the update on Paseo de la Princesa and glad it's open and repairs for the rest are progressing. That is such a BEAUTIFUL area. That is really a shame about the Ficus tree, I do remember it well and really liked it, so have been wondering how it came through. So glad to hear that it's flourishing again and I'm sure it will take years to get to where it was though. I was able to get a few pictures the last time.

I'll always keep up with the arm twisting. Definitely not this year since we spent a week in New Orleans to celebrate a milestone birthday for a friend. That was a great time. The places you'll be going to this year, that I've been to anyway, are just gorgeous! We were in Vegas in 1998 (I only had a film camera) with some neighbors but hubby and I flew out three days prior to everyone else so we would have time to see some of the National Parks. We got to Death Valley, Grand Canyon's North Rim, and drove through Zion National Park to get to Bryce Canyon. That scenery is spectacular and we'd like a re do now that we have digital cameras. We still got good pictures though, just not many. We've never been to the others you mentioned but I've heard great things about them. There is an area about 20 - 30 minutes from Vegas called "Red Rock Canyon" that is also spectacular. The road goes in a loop through the park with areas to pull over and also some trails to walk. I hope you really enjoy that trip and make sure you have plenty of memory cards for your camera.

Thanks again for the update and I also saw your snorkeling tips for areas right around San Juan, which I'm sure will be beneficial to me in the future. I had no idea about the one just a short walk down the beach from where we stay in Isla Verde, which you already know. ;) I walked down that way in 2013 and we could also see it from our balcony at the hotel.

• 3 weeks later...

Reading this thread with interest as the daughter & I are booked on the Freedom for a B2B in March of 2020. Since we will be docking at the Pan America I take it we will need a cab to go back into Old San Juan. Right now I am considering staying at the Sheratan Old San Juan Friday & Saturday before our cruise. I think we will do a walking Tour on Sat, rest is still in the planning stages. On our turn around day, not sure what we will do. any suggestions would be appreciated.

EXCELLENT details, ty for taking the time to write such details :)

• 3 weeks later...