RCL dress code - kids/teens - not to beat a dead horse

So this is going to be my first RCL cruise, I’ve done carnival and Norwegian. In the dining room, my young son could wear dress shorts with a polo or button down and boat shoes, there seems to be mixed reviews on that on RCL.

Also my boyfriend and his girls (10 and 14) are coming. What does a teenage girl wear for dinner? Bear in mind she normally wears band T-shirt’s and black jeans. I’m at a loss as what to suggest she wears. As it seems like she’s going to eat alone at the buffet if we can’t cinvince her of other clothes.

Nowadays, decent shorts and tees are fine...Teens usually want to dress semi-nicely...after all, the "opposite sex" will be looking! I wouldn't do "band" tees, but a plain tee is fine.

I think jeans are a bit warm for tropical weather...but whatever floats her boat! I wouldn't worry about it too much.

So this is going to be my first RCL cruise, I’ve done carnival and Norwegian. In the dining room, my young son could wear dress shorts with a polo or button down and boat shoes, there seems to be mixed reviews on that on RCL.

Also my boyfriend and his girls (10 and 14) are coming. What does a teenage girl wear for dinner? Bear in mind she normally wears band T-shirt’s and black jeans. I’m at a loss as what to suggest she wears. As it seems like she’s going to eat alone at the buffet if we can’t cinvince her of other clothes.

No one cares anymore, they don't enforce anything. Wear whatever you like.

There is actually no dress code. There is "suggested dress" each evening in the cruise compass. It seems as if people rarely follow it too closely.

Main dining room technically does say no shorts for dinner - rarely enforced. I would, however, suggest packing a pair of long pants for your son just in case someone does decide to enforce the rules.

Normally girls/ladies do dress in skirts, Capri pants, sundresses, sparkly-type tops, pants, etc. for dinner. Girls could wear jeans, lightweight otherwise too hot, but would suggest a dressier top.

I have a niece who we would never be able to get to wear a floral summer dress or dressy dress but can get to wear solid colored "Shift" or "Swing" dresses. They can be worn alone or add a long necklace to change them up. Depending on her mood she pairs them with nice sandals, flats or maybe a heel. Typically we find these solid "Shift" or "Swing" dresses at places like JC Penny's, Target, Old Navy or Amazon. Just Google the term "Shift Dress" or "Swing Dress" if you don't know what I am talking about. Typically you can get them in a variation of sleeve lengths from sleeveless to long sleeve. Also they double well as a casual dress and beach coverup.

I have a niece who we would never be able to get to wear a floral summer dress or dressy dress but can get to wear solid colored "Shift" or "Swing" dresses. They can be worn alone or add a long necklace to change them up. Depending on her mood she pairs them with nice sandals, flats or maybe a heel. Typically we find these solid "Shift" or "Swing" dresses at places like JC Penny's, Target, Old Navy or Amazon. Just Google the term "Shift Dress" or "Swing Dress" if you don't know what I am talking about. Typically you can get them in a variation of sleeve lengths from sleeveless to long sleeve. Also they double well as a casual dress and beach coverup.

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

If they don't like to wear dresses you could also go for a nice jacket with some plain black jeans! When I was younger I hated wearing dresses and would wear like a cute bomber jacket, or a light weight blazer which made a plain t-shirt and jean combo look a lot nicer.

Jeans are fine and I don’t think band t shirts would be a problem. Personally, I’d rather see the 14 year old in jeans & t shirt than some of the dresses that are way too adult for 14.

Sherri:)

I think people do care, its just not enforced by staff except on the odd occasion.

Couldn't agree more; though I did see someone (adult) turned away from MDR on formal night for wearing shorts and tank top.

Shorts, pants or dresses no one will care. It's 2018 times have changed. The majority of other cruisers as well as the cruise lines have relaxed their opinions of "attire suggestions". It seems some cruisers are much more stuck on this than the cruise lines themselves. No one wants or needs to wear something they are uncomfortable with. Enjoy you cruise!!!