Are there really starving people on a cruise ship?

Ah, ad-hominem attacks and name calling, the mark of true character.

I'm both elitist, and retired army - people who might be so thin-skinned as to be offended at being called an ass aren't the kind of folks whose opinions matter to me anyway.

Remember - offense cannot be given. It can only be taken.

*edit* Speaking of being elitist, let me chime in on behalf of the English language elites here, and educate you: An ad hominem attack is using a personal attack to attempt to undermine someone's character, as if such undermining invalidates someone's argument. Which is why it is one of the logical fallacies. Pointing out ad-hominem attacks *and* name calling is redundant. Beyond that, an ad hominem attack requires someone to be attempting to counter someone's argument (with the use of a personal attack). My contention in this thread has no bearing on the subject - only that I disagree that using "Starving people on a cruise ship" is misleading - I only clicked here because I thought I was going to read about actual starving people; pseudo-slave and underfed crewmembers, and maybe an expose.

Beyond that, I've disagreed with someone for mislabeling the OP elitist; I didn't make a personal attack on that person, so no ad hominem in play. Beyond that, I have no contention either way with the OP's opinions on Carnival MDR food quality. I don't cruise carnival. Because *I* am elitist. =D

Words have meaning. Don't abuse them. That's the mark of true character.

Edited by Dashofpepper

I'm both elitist, and retired army - people who might be so thin-skinned as to be offended at being called an ass aren't the kind of folks whose opinions matter to me anyway.

I'm not offended at all, You made me laugh out loud. I've always felt that when someone immediately goes to the insults they are simply revealing that they have no legitimate point to make.

I'm not offended at all, You made me laugh out loud. I've always felt that when someone immediately goes to the insults they are simply revealing that they have no legitimate point to make.

We're all here for the chuckles.

Let's go back to discussing whether picky people on a cruise ship are suffering from starvation, or just "First World Problem" syndrome.:cool:

The reason I started the thread is the constant bashing of the MDR food. The specialty restaurants sound good but I don’t know if they are worth the upcharge. I’ve always enjoyed having the same servers for the week and reading some posts, it’s almost like you’re better off in the Windjammer for dinner.

I would say give My Time Dining a try (with a catch). We have done MTD on every one of our cruises and all but one cruise we were sat in the same section (normally the same table) each night with the same waitstaff. The catch was on Allure - I think due to the size, it's a bit trickier to get into a section with a specific waiter. However, when you check in each night, just ask if you can be sat in your waiter's section and they will normally try to accommodate you.

The beef tenderloin usually 2nd night mdr pretty darn awesome good in RCL MDR, a must not miss or the prime rib & lobster tail!

On the CCL and starving passengers! I ran into a family on an excursion and they were bashing CCL food and said they were having a hard time finding something decent to eat, and they were on Sunshine! I guess eating burgers and fries gets old quick!

I know the WJ can pretty repetitive at times! Liberty was the worst at that so far, and Vision was good for its size, Brilliance, Adventure great! Majesty was just off and stuff was constantly broken and freestyles always out!

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Forums mobile app

I’ve been hungry on a RC ship one cruise. It seemed I was always looking for food while the Buffett was closed, and then I’d figure out where food was only to find that closed. Yeah it was a pre dinner snack, but we had MTD and knew dining early wasn’t really an option either. Depending on the fellow cruisers we found early MTD can be packed on longer cruises.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're about 3 weeks away from our next cruise on Oasis.

We were on Empress last year for a Cuba trip and made it a B2B with a Carnival ship out of Jacksonville to the Bahamas. It just worked out as Jacksonville was on our way back to NY from Tampa.

The two cruises were very different and Empress won hands down by ship condition, decor, service and food.

I did notice the menu was a little different than years past, but comparing it to the second cruise, it was great.

I don't mean to knock CCL, but, I could start a thread on the obvious differences and a B2B made it easy to compare.

Anyway, back to food. Although the menu seemed leaner in options, I always found something to eat. I'm not a big fan of specialty dining as I don't think the upcharge is worth it. For example, we love Hibachi dining. On RCCL, Izumi is $45/pp or $180 for a family of 4. We have a local Hibachi restaurant that normally costs us about $120 with tip. Is Izumi that good. I know I'm on vacation, but considering there are dining options included in the trip price, it seems like a lot. Chops at $49. I'm a bit of a beef snob, I only buy Prime beef for home steaks and sometimes will splurge on aged prime. I've had some pretty good steaks on a cruise, but nothing worth $50 more.

The one benefit I do see in the Specialty dining on RCCL, is the customization to your schedule. On our itinerary, we chose late dining to maximize time in port, however, that created a bit of a conflict choosing our entertainment. I can see how Specialty dining or my time dining would work out better. We have been cruising for close to 25 years and always loved the personal attention you get in the MDR having the same servers everyday. For example, I normally like a pitcher of ice water on the table with some cut lemon for dinner. I normally don't drink enough water during the day and make up for it at dinner. In the MDR, I can ask my waiter for the water on the first day, slip him a tip and voila, I'm taken care of the whole trip.

Bouncing around from server to server didn't appeal to us when we tried NCL a few times.

So, should I be concerned about the food. I've viewed the menus online and was able to fine something to choose every night. I didn't get wowed that often, but I think I would be satisfied. I can see the attraction to the Ultimate dining experience and am happy for those who choose it. I just don't think I can pick where and what I wan to eat weeks in advanced.

Am I going to slim down on my cruise?

Enjoy Social Media Much??? Didn't you answer your own Question....CC:rolleyes:

*edit* Speaking of being elitist, let me chime in on behalf of the English language elites here, and educate you: An ad hominem attack is using a personal attack to attempt to undermine someone's character, as if such undermining invalidates someone's argument. Which is why it is one of the logical fallacies. Pointing out ad-hominem attacks *and* name calling is redundant. Beyond that, an ad hominem attack requires someone to be attempting to counter someone's argument (with the use of a personal attack). My contention in this thread has no bearing on the subject - only that I disagree that using "Starving people on a cruise ship" is misleading - I only clicked here because I thought I was going to read about actual starving people; pseudo-slave and underfed crewmembers, and maybe an expose.

Beyond that, I've disagreed with someone for mislabeling the OP elitist; I didn't make a personal attack on that person, so no ad hominem in play. Beyond that, I have no contention either way with the OP's opinions on Carnival MDR food quality. I don't cruise carnival. Because *I* am elitist. =D

Words have meaning. Don't abuse them. That's the mark of true character.

Retired Enlisted or Officer???

Mike

Enlisted 11B -> West Point -> Commission

Best of both? =D

Mustang!!! For the most part Best Officers in the Army....Worst ROTC....In my Humble Enlisted Opinion

Thanks For Your service!!

Mike (Spec4)

One reason RC has been my preferred cruise line for over 30 yrs (yes I have sailed with others) is because of the reassurance that neither I or my travel companions will "starve". There has always been sufficient choice to cater for all tastes as well as restricted diets.

One reason we moan about the food on forums like this is that some of us with a long history of sailing with RC have seen a decline in standards as well as choice in MDR. I have been served a lamb shank which was under cooked, vegetables under cooked or over cooked. I have had the odd meal in MDR where it has been inedible. So people do have a reason to moan because that is what forums are for. However, generally the food is good especially if you make smart choices.

During our cruising history, we have always checked out the MDR menu before deciding whether to give it a miss on a given day and go to WJ instead. For us it is part of the fun, as is trying a speciality restaurant on the odd occasion. Why? Well just for a different experience and to try meals that are not served elsewhere.

If I was generally unhappy with the food served on RC ships, I would stop sailing with them.

The reason I started the thread is the constant bashing of the MDR food. The specialty restaurants sound good but I don’t know if they are worth the upcharge. I’ve always enjoyed having the same servers for the week and reading some posts, it’s almost like you’re better off in the Windjammer for dinner.

Could have fooled me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums