MSC Civitavecchia Bus to Rome?

cntrydncr1

Can anyone help with this? I'll be on the Seaview next April. Trying to figure out Rome. Wondering approximately what time the excursion bus arrives in Rome and where they drop you off if you are doing the city on your own?? Thanks in advance!

Can anyone help with this? I'll be on the Seaview next April. Trying to figure out Rome. Wondering approximately what time the excursion bus arrives in Rome and where they drop you off if you are doing the city on your own?? Thanks in advance!

We did this in March off of the Orchestra. I don't remember the time we arrived in Rome but it was 1 1/2 hr ride and we were dropped off at the Colosseum. We had plenty of time to walk everywhere we wanted and also stop for lunch. Rome was easily navigable by foot and we are in our 70,s.

• Thanks 1

We did Rome on Splendida in the summer of 2016. They had set up the "Vatican Express", i.e. a short bus ride from the ship to the train station, and then a nice train ride to the Vatican. From there, it is easy to take in some very nice Roman sites. I remember getting to the Vatican around 10. We had enough time to do a complete Hop-On-Hop-Off bus ride before heading out for lunch.

We had a Western Med cruise in 2015. We disembarked in Civitavecchia but there were other cruisers (who embarked in Naples, Barcelona, Palma, Cannes, and La Spezia) who took the train to Rome with us (not paid excursion from MSC). The regional train has a stop near the Vatican. The train ride to Rome was less than an hour. This is less expensive option than the excursion from MSC.

• 2 months later...

We are planning our April 20th 2019 cruise from Barcelona to Barcelona.  Stopping in Civitavecchia on the 5th day.  There is so much to do and see in Rome that we don't want to miss our bus back to the ship.  Once you miss it, you will be in very deep trouble, they don't wait for you.  You will need to fly to the next destination overnight, not going to be fun. 

Our plan is to book the cruise excursion "Walking tour".  It should be stress free going from the ship and back.  

If you take the train or car, you have to waste time going to the station.  I have kids and they don't want to walk much.  

Does anyone know what time do you debark from the ship and get on the bus to Rome?  Thanks

3 hours ago, peter9982nyc said:

We are planning our April 20th 2019 cruise from Barcelona to Barcelona.  Stopping in Civitavecchia on the 5th day.  There is so much to do and see in Rome that we don't want to miss our bus back to the ship.  Once you miss it, you will be in very deep trouble, they don't wait for you.  You will need to fly to the next destination overnight, not going to be fun. 

Our plan is to book the cruise excursion "Walking tour".  It should be stress free going from the ship and back.  

If you take the train or car, you have to waste time going to the station.  I have kids and they don't want to walk much.  

Does anyone know what time do you debark from the ship and get on the bus to Rome?  Thanks

Approximately 15 minutes after the ship is cleared by local authorities.

• Thanks 1

We got the train a few years ago and it's not that far to train station, about 10 minutes from port gates I think. The ticket also included all the buses, public transport in Rome. Get off at Vatican first, make sure you book online to avoid long queue to enter, after Vatican get train into center,very easy to walk around and then get train back to port, much cheaper and easier then coaches which often get delayed by traffic.

• Thanks 1