Allure of the Seas 08-19-2018 Questions

will88

We're starting the cruise in 2 weeks - had registered and booked shows etc online but haven't booked excursions. Our Ports of Call are Philipsburg, St Maarten, San Juan, Puerto Rico, Labadee, Haiti. Can you recommend some activities (not too strenuous - not too interested in zipline/parasailing, interested in local/shopping/snorkeling/beach)? I know it's running pretty late but better late than never. :)

Another important question: The Skating Rink on ship, do they have hockey skates too or it's just figure skates? Young hockey players always trip with figure skates. :) BTW they give you coats so it's not too cold right? Any gloves or one should bring own?

Thanks a lot!

With regard to ice skating, they give you skates (no idea if they have hockey skates), helmets, knee and elbow pads. You supply long pants, socks, and any coats you thnk you need.

Can you recommend some activities (not too strenuous - not too interested in zipline/parasailing, interested in local/shopping/snorkeling/beach)?

Maho Beach in St Martin is famous for the airplanes that fly over at 20 feet when they land at the airport on the beach. They also have great food and some shopping. It’s about a 30 min taxi ride from the port. Hope your search goes well.

Cody

As mentioned. cab to Maho in St. Martin and watch the planes. Sunset Beach Bar (if recovered from the hurricane) is a great place to grab something to eat and drink and watch the plane. The beach is also accessible from the bar.

Also cab out to Orient Beach and find some beach chairs. Only word of advice, part of Orient beach is nude so with young ones, stay away from that area.

San Juan... short in port time. You will dock in Old San Juan. You can walk to Castillo del Morro, the fort you see on sail in. It's really pretty neat and a good way to spend some time. Also you can search out Barrachina Restaurant where the Pina Colada was invented. Had friends eat there and thought it was pretty good. Not sure what's open yet, but we were there in Feb. and most of Old San Juan had recovered. There's also tours of Bacardi Rum Distillery, but it's on the other side of the bay. You can ferry across, but given the short time in port, you might not want to try that. Lot's of shops and restaurants open though.

Labadee is the private beach. The calmest and sandiest beach is Columbus Cove. If you go to any other beach, make sure you have water shoes as it can get quite rocky. Nelly's beach is nice too, but Columbus Cove is the original beach and usually (not always) less crowded as it's farther away. If you go to the Straw Market, be aware that they are very pushy. Unless you are dying to see it, avoid it or just walk down the middle of the path and ignore the vendors. Don't let them put any bracelets or anything on anyone as "free," as they will then demand payment.

If you go to any other beach, make sure you have water shoes as it can get quite rocky.

I wish I would’ve knew this in July on Nassau. I stubbed my toe on a rock that looked just like sand, sliced my toe open. Luckily the ship was close by and it didn’t need stitches. I will wear water shoes from now on!!

Cody

As far as I noticed, all the skates had toe picks. They do not give you jackets, but I was fine in a light long sleeve shirt. You do have to wear long pants and they provide helmets.

We're starting the cruise in 2 weeks - had registered and booked shows etc online but haven't booked excursions. Our Ports of Call are Philipsburg, St Maarten, San Juan, Puerto Rico, Labadee, Haiti. Can you recommend some activities (not too strenuous - not too interested in zipline/parasailing, interested in local/shopping/snorkeling/beach)? I know it's running pretty late but better late than never. :)

Thanks a lot!

I can help somewhat with the beaches since that is what we do. St Maarten - since the hurricane, Orient is not ready yet. So we take the the water taxi across to Great Bay. Decent beach, lots of shopping and restaurants. Will be doing that area since Orient is not good yet. San Juan - take a cab and go to Isle Verde, we love it there, great beach, vendors etc. Labadee - We go to Nellie's Beach there. Less rocky than some of the others. Also you can jet ski off the beach in St Maarten. Snorkeling off any of these beaches is not the best, you can do some in Labadee, but not great snorkeling. Let me know if you have any other questions - been to all these ports many times!

As mentioned. cab to Maho in St. Martin and watch the planes. Sunset Beach Bar (if recovered from the hurricane) is a great place to grab something to eat and drink and watch the plane. The beach is also accessible from the bar.

FYI - Orient is gone since the hurricane - looks like it was never developed. Very sad, but that is the way it is. We are looking forward to when it is back up and running again. By far our favorite place to go to the beach in SMX

Thanks so much everyone for the reply! It's a bummer that there's no hockey skates, I don't think it's worth it for us to bring it onto the ship.

We'll definitely check out Maho beach then. Was a little concerned over safety, but I guess just stay away from direct jet stream it should be fine. We'll take the suggestion walk in San Juan and try some suggested beaches too.

Also thanks for the reminder of water shoes. Forgot to buy them last cruise, wasn't a huge issue but having them is better.

Would appreciate more suggestions about snorkeling location too.Also how much is the taxi to Maho beach? I saw online that US $ is accepted anywhere. Is tip usually the same as US in San Juan and St. Martin? Thanks so much again!!

Taxi is per person? So 4 people is $40 one way or there's a cap on total?

The per person rate goes down a bit when there are more people. I seem to recall around $8 per person if there are 6 or more.

Another important question: The Skating Rink on ship, do they have hockey skates too or it's just figure skates? Young hockey players always trip with figure skates. :) BTW they give you coats so it's not too cold right? Any gloves or one should bring own?

Thanks a lot!

For San Juan, we like to just get off, ignore the over enthusiastic tour operators and just walk around Old San Juan. There is a free hop on/off trolley and you can shop, tour, and find someplace good to eat.

My son and I loved the Vivo Beach club in San Juan last year. I am on your sailing and have booked it again for this trip. (traveling solo though)

It is a very well kept facility with a wonderful pool and access to a beautiful beach. The lunch was great and is included.

Skating: When we were on Freedom of the Seas they had hockey skates too. I had put on figure skates and tried it but kept sticking the toe picks. Since I hadn't planned to do any triple axles or anything I went back and got hockey skates. When we were young all of the girls skates had the toe picks and we would get someone to file them off so we wouldn't fall. Also my husband got hockey skates too.

Edited by Hopetotravel
added something

Thanks again everyone - I'm just so amazed at how helpful everyone on the forum is! Fingers crossed that they have hockey skates on Allure too then. Will walk around the San Juan some. Happy cruising too Tony!