LIVE from Grand Princess 01/07/06 Sailing

LauraS

• Administrators

Ah ha! Just had to add my "musings" about the Internet Cafe on board the ship. They could clearly double or TRIPLE the number of computers on board -- during primetime - to handle the number of people who want to use them. IMHO I felt access was sketchy at best. At least two times I had to have the Purser's Desk page an internet techie to "unlock" me from the boards (I had been signed on using my admin name, natch, and simply couldn't walk away from the computer.

One evening at midnight, my niece signed on to check e-mail. Her computer FROZE. She visited the pursur's deck to let them know she was still logged on and being charged. No problem, they took her information and said they'd make sure she wasn't charged.

A $152 charge appeared on the bill anyway. Now, here's the gig....how well does a ship handle something to FIX it. We all know errors happen, that's life. It is the speed and manner in which something is corrected. I'm happy to report they came through with flying colors. We had many internet charges that needed to be removed from the bill, as we never got through and simply froze the computers up. (I think I have some kind of kinetic energy running through my fingertips from spending so much time on the internet for my job - lol). Princess removed all those charges....no questions asked. Nicely done.

TIP: To check if a specific computer is up and running and able to access the network, simply click on the FREE Access Princess Website button before you swipe your card. If it brings up the page right away, g/a and use that station.

Laura

Laura, thanks for the review, and thanks for clearing up the controversy about AdmiralNelson. I've been a lot more suspicious of new posters recently because of people admitting here that they've created second user names, and I bet that's why other people are suspicious too, so it helps when someone in the know can tell us what's really going on!

• Administrators
Laura, thanks for the review, and thanks for clearing up the controversy about AdmiralNelson. I've been a lot more suspicious of new posters recently because of people admitting here that they've created second user names, and I bet that's why other people are suspicious too, so it helps when someone in the know can tell us what's really going on!

No problem, that's what I do.

Laura

Yes, that's exactly why I was suspicious:)

Thanks for your review Laura. As mentioned earlier I am almost looking forward to going to Playa Del Carmen instead of the Grand Cayman, especially if it will save on tendering time.

Lots of movies I haven't seen yet on MUTS, not that there will be any time for them;)

Laura thank you for posting your review of the ships and ports. We are really looking forward to the port changes (hope they stay for our cruise), I would rather have longer times in port then feel rushed through everything.

Ceramics? sounds interesting, friends and I used to love getting together to do ceramics but they closed shop...how much do they charge for that, by the piece or hour?

Its so sad we have to live in such a skeptical world...but trust is very hard to come by in this day and age. So thank you for the info on Admiral Nelson...even though DH and I never doubted his info it seemed to always be verified by others on the ship at time of his postings...perhaps he didn't notice the listing/leaning cuz he has his sea legs. ;) We will miss his updates while he is on his well deserved vacation...no matter what position they hold on a ship I feel they give 110% of themselves dealing with thousands of people on a weekly basis...they don't have the luxury to shut the door when nerves are frayed (like some of us who work in an office enviroment)...they are still expected to smile and be nice.

Again thanks for all your help.

• Administrators

Here's a group picture taken at our Cruise Critic Sailaway gathering. This picture shows about 20 of us, but about 30 actuallly showed up (as evidenced by the number of lanyards I gave out).

That'd be Host Randy in the back row -- standing third from the left w/ the cool shades and CC t-shirt on. I'm directly in front of him in the black sparkly shirt...and kneeling directly in front of me in his CC t-shirt is Host Graham. You'll find Host Anne standing sort of in the middle wearing a black and grey Notre Dame sweatshirt.

It was great meeting everyonesailaway.jpg.....

Laura

Instead, I sought out the FRESH BREWED coffee in the Lobby Lounge just forward of the center atrium. Brought my own insulated mug. You can also get cappucino/lattes here as well ($$). They do have paper cups for your coffee, no lids. You can also get fresh brewed at the bar on Deck 5 just outside the Michaelangelo Dining Room.

I'm sure I'm just dense, but I'm having a hard time figuring out where these are. I thought the Lobby Bar (or Lounge) was the same as the bar outside the Michaelangelo Dining Room? Can somebody clear this up for me? :confused:

• Administrators

More specific re: places for brewed coffee:

On Promenade Deck 7 - at the Bar located in the Promenade area , which is slightly forward of the steps of the atrium.

On Deck 5 -- The bar just outside the Michaelangelo Dining Room.

More specific re: places for brewed coffee:

On Promenade Deck 7 - at the Bar located in the Promenade area , which is slightly forward of the steps of the atrium.

On Deck 5 -- The bar just outside the Michaelangelo Dining Room.

Geez, Thanks a lot! Now everybody knows:(

• Administrators
Geez, Thanks a lot! Now everybody knows:(

LOL, Steve -- that's exactly what I told our writer when she returned from her Grand Princess review cruise and included it in her official review!!!!!!

Anything I can do to save CC members from that.....stuff.....

Oh, and they brew fresh coffee in both Sabatini's and Sterling Steakhouse.

LAURA

Thanks Laura for your review, I do have a question though, did you tender to all ports? Just curious as my hubby is in a wheelchair and we are wondering about the tendering issues. We are on the Grand on 2/4/ and cannot wait. Sounds like you had a wonderful cruise.

Grand Princess February 2006

Carnival Ectasy February 2005

Diamond Princess May 2004

Raphasody of the Seas May 2003

Soverign of the Seas January 2002

Laura, I'm so glad you took the time to answer the questions folks had and then to tell us about your sailing. I am glad you had a wonderful cruise. :D The group shot of the cruise critic folks is great. Maybe there should be one thread to post any CC group photos in the Photo Gallery or even another choice under "Fun Stuff". I took a great one last year on the Golden of about 50 CC'ers.

I never doubted that Admiral Nelson was not on the Grand. His information and pride of his fellow crew members showed through many times. Unfortunately, he has been noticeably absent the last few days. I hope he is well and returns here soon to chat with those who are interested in what he has to say. We are all fortunate to have an "insider" on the Grand!:D

I drink decaf coffee and have always managed to drink what ever is served to me on board. I have never gone to find the "good" stuff. Is there a charge for the brewed coffee at either of those locations you mentioned? I also bring a large, insolated mug with me.....will they fill that up?

Again, thanks for your reports....and of course for everything you do here on the boards.:D

Hey Admiral Nelson - hoping you didn't get run off the boards.

Have a couple minor questions:

1) Do ALL the cabins have micro-fridges in them? I'm in a little inside cabin on Baha deck. I like to bring Gatorade to take along at each port, and am hoping I have a way to keep it nice and cold!

2) Also, most other cruise lines I've been on, I beliebe the only lunch option on embarkation day was the buffet. But I read that someone thought the Da Vinci might be open and serving right away on embarkation. Is that true?

If you are still checking the boards but no longer posting, feel free to reply via email.

Thanks!

Mark (manderson9999@excite.com)

• Administrators
In the picture, I noticed shorts, sweat shirts, jackets, T-shirts. Good grief, I thought you said it was warm, but not hot!

Jim

If memory serves, it was about 60ish when we left Galveston...and late in the afternoon. I was wearing long jeans and a three-quarter sleeved shirt. There was a chill in the air as we headed out to sea.

• Administrators
Thanks Laura for your review, I do have a question though, did you tender to all ports? Just curious as my hubby is in a wheelchair and we are wondering about the tendering issues. We are on the Grand on 2/4/ and cannot wait. Sounds like you had a wonderful cruise.

We had a great time...I'm missing my hosts as I write this :)

We tendered into all ports EXCEPT Costa Maya.

• Administrators
Laura, I'm so glad you took the time to answer the questions folks had and then to tell us about your sailing.

I drink decaf coffee and have always managed to drink what ever is served to me on board. I have never gone to find the "good" stuff. Is there a charge for the brewed coffee at either of those locations you mentioned? I also bring a large, insolated mug with me.....will they fill that up?

Again, thanks for your reports....and of course for everything you do here on the boards.:D

No additional charge for brewed coffee. You "serve yourself" on Deck 7 -- a staff member pours for you at the Lobby Bar. I too had my own insulated mug. Never a double take by a staff member.

Thanks for posting all the info on your cruise. One more question:

How was the temperature on the last night of the cruise? We're on the Grand on 2/4 - 2/11, and the last night of the cruise is our 10th anniversary. I was going to book the ultimate balcony dinner for that night, but I just had the thought that it may be too chilly. Any input from recent cruisers?

Thanks in advance!

• Administrators
Hey Admiral Nelson - hoping you didn't get run off the boards.

Have a couple minor questions:

1) Do ALL the cabins have micro-fridges in them? I'm in a little inside cabin on Baha deck. I like to bring Gatorade to take along at each port, and am hoping I have a way to keep it nice and cold!

2) Also, most other cruise lines I've been on, I beliebe the only lunch option on embarkation day was the buffet. But I read that someone thought the Da Vinci might be open and serving right away on embarkation. Is that true?

If you are still checking the boards but no longer posting, feel free to reply via email.

Thanks!

Mark (manderson9999@excite.com)

I saw a mini-fridge in Host Graham's inside cabin.

According to my Patters the Da Vinci dining room was open for lunch on embarkation day from noon - 2pm.

• Administrators
Thanks for posting all the info on your cruise. One more question:

How was the temperature on the last night of the cruise? We're on the Grand on 2/4 - 2/11, and the last night of the cruise is our 10th anniversary. I was going to book the ultimate balcony dinner for that night, but I just had the thought that it may be too chilly. Any input from recent cruisers?

Thanks in advance!

I think you might be right about it being chilly. I could barely venture out on my balcony after dark on the way back to Galveston, it WAS windy and chilly.

Why not give Sabatini's a try for your special night? It certainly suits the occasion...

Laura, how much did ceramics cost? im interested,,,,

also, i agree about the MUTS,,,,i cant wait,,,loved it last time too! its the perfect entertainment for my DH and I,,,,

did you tender at playa or dock?

thanks, wendy

Archived