LIVE from Grand Princess 01/07/06 Sailing

LauraS

I'm sorry if you feel this way, maybe you can ask for a credit when you get onboard as some of the crew aren't doing their jobs instead, they are surfing the internet. I'm just wondering if you are all real passengers? I mean don't you people have jobs to go to, I mean you seem to spend a lot of time here??

As for the ship listing (which means leaning), the ship was listing to port in Playa and was listing to starboard in Cozumel. Why? In Playa we were on a southerly heading (although not underway) and in Cozumel we had a northerly heading (not underway) so the tilt, leaning or listing as it's been described was for tender assistance. As for right now whilst we are at sea. There is no list, not that we are aware of. Maybe Anne has broken a heel!

There's no reason to cop an attitude with me, I thought I was asking a legitimate question and I can assure you I'm not the only one wondering. And to try to make it sound as if I am unreasonable because I'm asking for proof is below the belt. I am not the person claiming to be a spokesperson for a cruise line, honestly it is disappointing to me that you speak to others in such a tone. I do know however that most of the people that work for Princess don't share your attitude. Good luck to you.

He's legit.

Thanks--I need to get away from the dust!! The water will be so good!!

It is so dry in central Texas. As I mentioned, I'm very rural and I'm wearing a neckerchief out on the ranch because it is so dry, windy, and dusty. (BTW-That's why cowboys always wore neckerchiefs) Wow, first time I've ever used the word neckerchief on the internet and I've done it 3 times. And we actually just call them Kerchiefs:)

Now if the C-C hosts leave the ship in working order--I'll be outta here!!;)

Dry, windy, dusty, sounds like Las Vegas! Looks like there will be a lot of Texans on our sailing!

Looking forward to your review, have a great trip:)

"Why would you get in trouble for posting here? I'm also wondering why you never answered specific questions about the ship like when Host Anne asked why the ship is leaning towards one side? Sorry, I'm still skeptical as to if you are a Princess employee on the Grand at this time. Also, Cruise Critic members are on this cruise but none of them have verified that you are on their sailing? Just trying to understand:)"

WOW - you're accusing Admiral of "copping an attitude" AFTER you do a post like that???? :eek:

"Why would you get in trouble for posting here? I'm also wondering why you never answered specific questions about the ship like when Host Anne asked why the ship is leaning towards one side? Sorry, I'm still skeptical as to if you are a Princess employee on the Grand at this time. Also, Cruise Critic members are on this cruise but none of them have verified that you are on their sailing? Just trying to understand:)"

WOW - you're accusing Admiral of "copping an attitude" AFTER you do a post like that???? :eek:

Oy, I give up. I'm glad you all are so trusting:) I seemed to notice little inconsistencies in his postings over the past few weeks. Those of us that have nothing better to do with their time know that several more prolific posters here have made up multiple screen names to "cheer" Princess. Sorry I even brought it up! Happy sailings:)

Zydeco really spoiled us a few weeks ago and the C-C hosts started this thread, so a few from our roll-call will try to keep a "Live from" thread this next week. We seem to have some really nice folks & some platinums so we'll try to keep one going with current information.

Cindy--I agree I like this itinerary much better.:)

Thanks to everyone for the good wishes--as soon as we're out to sea I'm washing the dust off, putting in new contacts, and meeting my C-C'ers for a drink.

There's no reason to cop an attitude with me, I thought I was asking a legitimate question and I can assure you I'm not the only one wondering. And to try to make it sound as if I am unreasonable because I'm asking for proof is below the belt. I am not the person claiming to be a spokesperson for a cruise line, honestly it is disappointing to me that you speak to others in such a tone. I do know however that most of the people that work for Princess don't share your attitude. Good luck to you.

It isn't the first time he copped an attitude. While I think the "admiral" is probably on the ship, there are times when less than admiral qualities have crept into his/hers/its posts.

Sorry you can't meet up with some of us that would love to thank you personally for all your information and your insight to what is going on - but understand, and hope you have great well deserved vacation.

I'm sure you don't, but I hope you don't take any of our comments personally when we vent here, it's an outlet we use for good and bad, and having you available recently to focus us has been great!

Thanks!

I know in IT we have a bulletin board for the helpdesk that is usually updated with current outages/issues. It sounds like you need something like this for your customer service reps?

Timing is a big factor and if you walked out just as the tender was leaving then that helps. However, the swells yesterday in Playa Del Carmen where worse than today that is why the tendering went smoother. The tender you rode yesterday held 285 maximum the tender today held 350 maximum, all of the above information is fact. We have a lot of equipment on the bridge to tell us this, we don’t just look out of the window and say ‘Well looks a little choppy today.’ You can confirm this information with any member of the deck crew seeing as you are onboard, they will give you the same information I am privy to (you never know you might actually be talking to me.) What you as a passenger perceive and the facts can be very different, just being onboard Anne does not necessarily qualify you in current sea conditions.

As for Princess not telling people and if the itinerary changes, yes I agree, if they know for certain this change will happen then they should tell people. However, it's not certain, that's the problem with this kind of situation. It could be fixed by then. Imagine we tell people there is a change and then when they get here we say “Actually it’s changed again,” how would people feel then, they would think we were amateurs and didn’t know what was going on. I know this information and I am sharing what I know with you all. However, my information regards to itinerary changes could change at any time. I think there could be more information on the website I have said that already in other threads. However, you have to be very certain about something before changing information that has been set for a long time. I agree more information is always better, as long as it’s correct information, that’s the tricky part.

AdmiralNelson,

Too bad you are getting off. We will be getting on 1/21. Want to swing by cabin B230 on your way off? My DW and I have appreciated your posts about the Grand even though you have had to put up with some harsh critics. We look forward to your posts this coming week. Look forward to hearing updates from you on which ports we are going to on our cruise.

Hi All! I notice alot of upset due to lack of communication and with the Admirals replys. I do think Princess lacks greatly there, but I can understand why the Admiral doesn't introduce himself. The fact of getting in trouble for posting here, could lead to some type of reprimand. That would be true for any employee of any company telling the 'outside' world little tidbits of information or company policys etc.... I say, Thanks for giving us the info that you can. If he were not leaving for another ship soon, I'm betting he wouldn't even be posting now. He seems to know an awful lot not to be an employee. As for Grand Cayman, we are supposed to meet up with friends who are on the RCCL or I would love to stop at Playa....however I do not think I would have picked an all Mexico cruise either.. Hey Snoozeman...let me know how the room is, I'll be in 712 in a couple of weeks!!! Happy Cruising everyone!

How were the ports on the Grand Princess cruise? Anyone do any snorkeling? Has there been much damage to reefs and ports from hurricaines? Also, would the seas be a bit calmer for cruising in March or April.....I would really like to do a Grand cruise in February, but now I am scared the ship will break down.;)

Also, has anyone ever sailed on the Star Princess...I don't hear much negative about that on most boards, it looks like a nice ship & itenerary too.:cool:

As mentioned above, check out Zyedcocruiser's post here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=269752

There are hundreds of pics from his snorkeling adventures, I don't think you'll be disappointed:)

Regarding the ship breaking down, I've never heard of a ship totally breaking down at sea however it may limp a bit from port to port. As you can see from what's reported here the itineraries may change or you may get more sea days.

Admiral,

I think your answers have been clear and as complete as possible. Sorry you have to listen to so much _____. After working in the cruise industry for years I know that you get mixed signals from the people in charge. I also know that is the cruise contract it says that they can change iteneraries as they need. They can skip islands if they wish. They DO NOT have to give ship board credits. It is very kind of them if they do. I will be on the Grand on 2/4.

Do not sweat the stuff you cannot change. I am awlays happy when I am on a Princess Ship. I have done many Princess Cruises and still like them the best. And I have said Crystal to Carnival. I have never been on a bad cruise.

;)

E711

Thanks Horatio!!

One of the people going on the Grand with me in April will be in cabin E711. Others will be in cabins E715 and E709.

I'd love to hear any comments you have when you get back from your cruise. For instance, I know these are listed as obstructed view but there shouldn't be lifeboats per the deck plan. Hopefully just some cables or somesuch.

Thanks and have a great cruise!

Admiral,

I think your answers have been clear and as complete as possible. Sorry you have to listen to so much _____. After working in the cruise industry for years I know that you get mixed signals from the people in charge. I also know that is the cruise contract it says that they can change iteneraries as they need. They can skip islands if they wish. They DO NOT have to give ship board credits. It is very kind of them if they do. I will be on the Grand on 2/4.

Tisha:

We have an active roll call for the 2/4 cruise: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=252205. Come join us!

Admiral,

Do not sweat the stuff you cannot change. I am awlays happy when I am on a Princess Ship. I have done many Princess Cruises and still like them the best. And I have said Crystal to Carnival. I have never been on a bad cruise.

;)

Wow, it's your first post and you just happen to be on the same sailing as I am! That's great!:)

It isn't the first time he copped an attitude. While I think the "admiral" is probably on the ship, there are times when less than admiral qualities have crept into his/hers/its posts.

Laura or one of the mods, could you please confirm AdmiralNelson's identiy for all of us, or at least tell us if you're not sure who this person is? Since the mods can see people's IP addresses, hopefully they can clear up this controversy.

From Host Anne's post:

As for the listing...the ship has had a slight list since we left Galveston although I must say that the list yesterday was very, very noticable. We weren't worried about it but it did seem odd that throughout the cruise, there has been a slight list to the ship overall.

She should check her high heels!

Oops/ Now i feel like a polly. Didn't read the whole thread . MY BAD.

Oy, I give up. I'm glad you all are so trusting:) I seemed to notice little inconsistencies in his postings over the past few weeks. Those of us that have nothing better to do with their time know that several more prolific posters here have made up multiple screen names to "cheer" Princess. Sorry I even brought it up! Happy sailings:)
At the risk of turning a very informative thread live from Grand Princess into a name calling match, why are some so suspicious? Wait - I know the answer to that...others are wondering too. :rolleyes: There is no one here making up double screen names, least of all AdmiralNelson so those who are suspicious of such should go back to their den and try to figure out some other reason to support those suspicions. If one feels that someone isn’t who he says he is, perhaps they should just move on instead of trying to start trouble. In the meantime, I think we should be thankful that Admiral is willing to post here for us and give us some insight into the inner workings of Grand Princess.
Regarding the ship breaking down, I've never heard of a ship totally breaking down at sea however it may limp a bit from port to port. As you can see from what's reported here the itineraries may change or you may get more sea days.
Recently there have been no instances of this but in years past a number of Carnival ships and even Golden Princess 1 had breakdowns severe enough (Golden Princess 1 had an engine room fire on the way to Alaska from San Francisco) so they were dead in the water for several days.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Grand Princess report. :cool:

Hello All ~ just got home from Houston and we were very fortunate to be able to catch an earlier flight. Saved us from sitting in the Houston airport for a couple of hours. Haven't had a chance to fly Continental much in the past, but we found them very accommodating on this trip. It was a nice ending to a nice trip.

Yesterday was pretty low-key. The CC hosts met for drinks before our final dinner. We ate in the Painted Desert steakhouse (food again was excellent) and then stopped by the dining room to say goodbye and thank our waiters. They were outstanding all week long and we're very appreciative for their hard work. I don't think enough passengers really think about how hard the crew on ships work. Be sure to complete your evaluation forms and note crew who have given you outstanding service. It means a lot for them.

Disembarkation began early this morning. They started calling passengers at 6:45 AM (the Patter said disembarkation would begin at 8:30). It didn't matter for us as we anticipated getting off the ship around 9:00 AM from the outset. We chose to carry our own luggage off the ship (they call this express disembarkation -- we only had a couple of roll-aboard suitcases) so getting off was simple and easy. The only line occurred once we were into the terminal where you go through customs. Took about 25 minutes to get through the line and turn in our customs form. Emerald Limos was waiting for us and our return trip to Bush (Intercontinental) only took about 75 minutes (no traffic on a Saturday morning). I'd highly recommend Emerald as they were prompt, waited for us when our flights were delayed upon arriving last week and called at 8:30 this morning to confirm they were waiting for us. Great service!

OK....let's discuss the controversy that's run through this thread. Laura began this thread to provide information on our cruise experience to all of you back home. Nothing any of us wrote about was meant to cause any controversy. I provided honest information and like to let people know what's good and what's bad about a cruise. Some people don't like to hear about the things that are less than perfect. That's OK....I don't like to have things that don't go right on a cruise. But it does happen and for the most part you go on and enjoy yourself (which is what everyone we sailed with did). It seemed like my questioning the "list" of the ship hit a "nerve" that brought what I'd consider some "defensive" responses from Admiral Nelson. I was asking an honest question; I never questioned whether something was wrong with the ship (although the ship definitely has mechanical problems with generators) when asking about the list. But there was without a doubt a list to the port side of the ship throughout the entire cruise. It was evident again this morning upon docking. Once again, our shower wouldn't even drain totally because the list to port was great enough that water was against the far wall of the shower (it happened a couple of times throughout the cruise). When you walked down the hallways this morning and when we went up to the Horizon Court, the list was evident. After being on 24 cruises, I can't recall this happening on any other ship (inlcuding this one -- I've sailed her before). It's fine to not have an answer to a question but to make someone here sound like they don't have any idea what they are talking about isn't the best way to respond. Many others saw the same thing I did. Did I feel unsafe? No, not at all. I was just curious.

Is the Admiral who he says he is? I don't know them personally; did not meet them on this cruise and have no way of knowing as a host whether they are who they say they are. It's fine for people to believe the Admiral and it's fine for people to be skeptical. What's not fine is for people to start slamming one another for what they think. It's not why Laura began the thread and it's not why we partcipate in Cruise Critic. This is a place to share information. Most share great, honest information. That's the way we want to keep it .... and we welcome all to post - cruise line employees as well.

I will be posting a review before too long. It will include the great things we experienced this week and the areas where I think improvements can be made. I'll let you know when it's finished.

Thanks for hanging in here with us this week. We hope that everyone sailing on Grand (or any other ship for that matter) in the near future has a fabulous vacation.

Archived