LIVE from Grand Princess 01/07/06 Sailing

LauraS

Hope u all see this, Al sugested it... Tara you got the RA JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. the only thing is that you have to be back at school on SUNDAY night... I spoke to Jay Alt told him the situation and he really wants you,so he said he could wait till you get back , I told him OK, so i hope that i made the right decision and told him u would take it, i know that you really wanted the job and he really wants you to have it, so if you can call me or e-mail me..instant message me, i will pay for it,....

mom...ps hope your trip is good...

I have said this in another thread; the turnaround in Galveston on New Year's Eve was actually faster than a normal turnaround. We finished embarkation in 8 hours instead of 10.5 hours (usual time). It may well have seemed longer to the passengers as they had to wait longer for us to get in but the embarkation was quicker. Remember normally when you arrive at the dock to join a cruise not everybody arrives at once, it is staggered so easier. When we arrived everybody was waiting so all passengers wanted to get on at the same time, this means the passenger has to wait longer, it doesn't mean that we take longer to get everybody onboard. It was an unfortunate situation but one that could not be helped.

As for taking flash lights with you on a cruise, that's always a good idea however the problem we are having are not that type of problem. It's to do with the power to an engine not lighting. The lighting dimming as the other poster described is normal when the ship gets underway, when the captain made his announcement the ship was just leaving Costa Maya. It is a 30 second affair, quite normal.

Thanks for the updates...it is always nice to hear from you since you can give a behind the scenes viewpoint.

I have said this in another thread; the turnaround in Galveston on New Year's Eve was actually faster than a normal turnaround. We finished embarkation in 8 hours instead of 10.5 hours (usual time). It may well have seemed longer to the passengers as they had to wait longer for us to get in but the embarkation was quicker. Remember normally when you arrive at the dock to join a cruise not everybody arrives at once, it is staggered so easier. When we arrived everybody was waiting so all passengers wanted to get on at the same time, this means the passenger has to wait longer, it doesn't mean that we take longer to get everybody onboard. It was an unfortunate situation but one that could not be helped.

Horatio, are you suggesting that we don't get there so early on Saturday? Give us an update on Friday if you can, as I'll be driving in Saturday morning. I'll have a good brunch & arrive later if means less waiting in line. BTW-love the avatar-very appropriate.

As for taking flash lights with you on a cruise, that's always a good idea however the problem we are having are not that type of problem. It's to do with the power to an engine not lighting. The lighting dimming as the other poster described is normal when the ship gets underway, when the captain made his announcement the ship was just leaving Costa Maya. It is a 30 second affair, quite normal.

Not sure what happened this time, but there certainly was a NOT normal lighting situation on the Christmas Eve cruise. Not sure if it was a complete ship blackout or not, but it certainly affected the restaurants and at least one side of the ship.

In the dining room, the lights went out and emergency lighting kicked in for about one course. Then for a few seconds, everything went out briefly before coming back on full blast. Meanwhile, during the same time period, my sister in a cabin a few floors up had a complete blackout and she and her daughters wandered into the hall to play cards under the emergency lighting out there until regular service was restored.

When the lights were working, however, there was no problem with the twinkly lights in the dining room. ;)

Horatio, are you suggesting that we don't get there so early on Saturday? Give us an update on Friday if you can, as I'll be driving in Saturday morning. I'll have a good brunch & arrive later if means less waiting in line. BTW-love the avatar-very appropriate.

Hi Snoozeman,

I noticed you're sailing on the Grand. I'll be there too. I read in one of your posts that you have goats. We have 9 pygmies, but unfortunately they can't go with us.

writrgirl

Guest AdmiralNelson

As long as you get to the terminal (and I mean in the terminal not in Galveston) by 1500hrs on Saturday you will be fine. We get underway at 1600hrs on a normal day and at the moment it's anything but normal. With the changes to the itinerary we should make pretty good time though. I will know more about the time of arrival in Galveston on the last sea day of this cruise.

Hi Snoozeman,

I noticed you're sailing on the Grand. I'll be there too. I read in one of your posts that you have goats. We have 9 pygmies, but unfortunately they can't go with us.

writrgirl

Really, I've got South African Boers. Just had 13 babies this past week, one more to deliver b4 I can leave for Grand. Our C-C meet time is on our roll call. I'll compare notes with ya'.

As long as you get to the terminal (and I mean in the terminal not in Galveston) by 1500hrs on Saturday you will be fine. We get underway at 1600hrs on a normal day and at the moment it's anything but normal. With the changes to the itinerary we should make pretty good time though. I will know more about the time of arrival in Galveston on the last sea day of this cruise.

THANK YOU H -- I'll watch for your updates!!!

Hope the C-C hosts are taking care of the ship and not doing too much damage!!!

Hello Admiral,

question: we're sailing on Grand on 02.11.06, and our return flight from Houston (IAH) at 1pm, is this enough time to get there from Galveston?

Is there a special place for roll call postings? I am fairly new to this forum, and I haven't found it yet. (by the way, I am assuming that a roll call thread is a list of all the cruise critic forum members who are travelling on the same ship/dates).

Thanks.

Jeff

Grand Princess 2/11/06

Guest AdmiralNelson
Hello Admiral,

question: we're sailing on Grand on 02.11.06, and our return flight from Houston (IAH) at 1pm, is this enough time to get there from Galveston?

It depends, booking an early flight always has certain risks. As long as the ship is not delayed getting in and you ask for express disembarkation, you should be off the ship early (7a.m.) Just be prepared to make changes if we are late. And sometimes a ship can be delayed because of weather not just technical problems. Having said all that, I'm sure it will be OK.

Guest AdmiralNelson
The question has been asked in a thread below ... and two different answers have been give.

Where , on the ship, do they give out tender ticket?

It depends, today they are being given out in the Explorer Lounge, it depends where the pontoon is (where you board the tender). We don't want to send people to the stern if the pontoon is forward so we move it. You will have to listen to the anouncements when you are here, as this information changes for many reasons.

Hi Gang ~ Laura told me to tell you that she is frustrated with trying to post (computers and the boards locking up on her at different times) so she'll post a complete review when she returns. I'll continue to drop by since if it locks up on me it doesn't cost $$$ since I'm a Platinum member.

Had a fabulous dinner last night at Sabatini's. We had more food than one should be able to consume and it was all outstanding (along with terrific service). We were there for about 2 1/2 hours. We all then stopped by with Randy (it really was his birthday) at the webcam to wave to all of you....where was everyone??? :)

We all then went up to the pool deck to watch Batman Begins on MUTS. It's an amazing way to watch a movie at night. We'll do it again if there's something else we'd like to see.

We're in Playa for the day. Never been here so we're about to go out and explore. We'll give you details later.

Have a good one....

Laura,Anne or Admiral.......since your in Playa today and Cozumel tommorrow, is the Grand going to spend the night off Playa, go to Coz & spend the night or just sail around until tommorrow morning?

One last thing...Admiral, glad to see you've overcome the past criticism and have stuck around giving us updates. We are having a get together prior to Muster on 2/11 at Oasis bar and would love for you to join us for a few minutes. I know your duties will probably preclude you from doing this but still would like to buy you a drink. Just leave us a note in our new upgraded cabin and we'll get in touch if you can't attend.

Mike

www.homepage.mac.com/csealove/

Archived