Need Help with Post Cruise Travel Plans!

Hi Everyone,

Husband and I are our 1 year old daughter will be doing a 13 night cruise from Sydney to New Zealand and back to Sydney in November. We arrive back in Sydney on Saturday Nov 10th and our flight back home to Michigan is on Sunday Nov 11th at 8:30pm. We'll have lots of big bags with us and I'm trying to figure out what is the best way to corral our luggage and still go out and see as many sights as possible both days!

My current thinking is just rent a car so we'll have a place for our things the whole time. Is that feasible? Will there be places to park our car in and around Sydney? Are there any hotels with shuttles to the airport that allow you to check out and leave your suitcases up with them until you leave? We were thinking of doing the blue mountains but not sure if you need a car for that or if there are better ways to get there.

Any input you can give to us about how to spend out 36 hours in Sydney are greatly appreciated!

Bonus points for those of you that can suggest things to do for the time between our arrival INTO Sydney (7:45am) to the time we board the ship (2pm) the day we cruise departs.

The blue mountains is amazing, and one of my favourite places in the world, but it's a fair bit of driving if you're tired from the cruise.

would you already have done the sights and activities in the city and surrounds before the cruise? If not then there's plenty to see and do there, from the Rocks, circular quay, bridge, opera house, botanic gardens, chinatown, Darling Harbour (which has the maritime museum, aquarium, wildlife world, Madame Tussauds etc). For that amount of time, I'd be tempted to stay close and experience things that can be easily reached via train/cab.

If you DO go to the Blue Mountains, I'd suggest staying up there, maybe in Katoomba or Leura. That means you can drive up, check it out, maybe do a short hike or two, then have a nice relaxed drive back down to the airport the following day.

Most hotels will take your bags early or hold them after check out till you are ready to go.

How about Ferry over to the zoo, some of the best views of the city and harbour you will see.

Not sure I’d bother with a car, there is parking but you’ll pay a fair bit.

Have you got a hotel booked?

I would book a quality hotel that's near a train station.get a late check out.

They with hold your bags , and catch the train to the airport.

There's plenty to do in Sydney.

Now for the bonus points.you should be able to board at 11:00.if no drop your bags at 10:00 and have a look around.

After clearing customs tha with work.

I would be flying in to Sydney at least the day before,you are cutting it a bit fine .what if your flight is delayed??

I'll go straight for bonus point. Sydney tower then to darling harbour. You could do wildlife world and see koalas and kangaroos up close. Leave luggage at your hotel and that would give you a good stretch of your legs. If you have time check out QVB. Alternatively go on the big red bus and have a quick tour of the highlights to give you ideas of what to see in more detail after the cruise. Parking in Sydney costs a fortune and driving in the city is not for the faint hearted. Whatever you do, make sure you are on deck for the sail out of Sydney harbour, it is really beautiful. I don't think you have time to make a trip to blue mountains unless you are happy to do that and nothing else. It is lovely so if you do it, head out straight after cruise and as suggested above stay out there Saturday night. If you do this then hire a car. Hydro majestic would be a good place to stay.

Sent from my Lenovo A7600-F using Forums mobile app

I’m not from Sydney but I know for a fact you’ll pay an arm and a leg for parking in the city. Not to mention George Street (one of the major streets in the CBD) mostly shut due to the construction of the Light Rail Line. First and foremost I’d make my way to central station and drop your bags at the SmarteCarte outlet at the concourse. I think it’s about $20 for half a day for two bags and it’s very secure. Then I would jump onto the light rail to Haymarket. There is a market called paddy’s right opposite the station and sells souvenirs and other “market” wares (think like a swap meet with clothes and mobile phone cases) the market opens early on a weekend and you can have breakfast upstairs in the food court. Haymarket is China town as well so have a little walk around there too. Now from here you can jump back on the light rail to go back to central station or you can continue to pyrmont (to visit the fish markets for lunch) or Darling Harbor for a stroll around and lunch at darling harbor. Personally I’d do the fish markets. If you plan it right you will get to the ship by 2pm. Hope this helps!

Safe travels!

Sent from my iPad using Forums