Comparing Viking Sun with Seabourn Sojourn

Jim Avery

Thanks. Is this area near any cabins or other guest areas?

Since VO does allow smoking, why do they say “no smoking” very explicitly in their “what VO is not” area (a question to the forum, not Heidi13 only). Does this also imply that “no children under 18” in the “nots” area means that some cabins and guest areas may allow screaming toddlers??? (Though this would likely be quieter than having Jim aboard during football season....)

From memory, I believe the FAQ section states all cabins, balconies and interior spaces throughout the vessel are smoke free. Smoking only permitted in the designated area on Deck 8. Affirmative, Deck 8 has cabins P&S up fwd, but I doubt they would be affected by smoke further down the deck.

Personally I have never smoked and we both consider ourselves as ardent non-smokers. However, as s a retired Captain, I believe it is critical that the cruise lines provides some space for those passengers that opt to pollute the fresh air at sea. If they don't provide a smoking area, many smokers will find somewhere, with the resultant increase in fire risks. During our upcoming World Cruise we have a stretch of 8 sea days, which really is unrealistic for smokers to not smoke.

• Like 1

Thanks, I researched it a bit and it looks like they quarantine the smokers as well as they can, short of putting them in a dinghy and casting them adrift...

We are sensitive about this because of having had a couple of cruises negatively impacted by smokers, both those that obeyed the rules and those that didn’t. All on lux lines.

Our cabin on Sojourn was 516. I possibly have it categorized wrong as it did not feel any larger than our DV4 (4046) on Viking Sun. The veranda was notably deeper but not wider and as noted the swing out door negated some of the extra depth. Also on 5 deck the balcony rail is mostly steel compared to all glass on Viking. This limited the view somewhat. Cabins on Sojourn 6 deck and above had all glass. Glad there are choices because we absolutely feel we could not stay 120+ days on Sojourn but were just fine in 4046 on Viking Sun. Ragnar. Yes the crew have their own open deck on 9 deck around the funnel. No, never smelled smoke from them at all. Not sure if crew can smoke in their areas but we never smelled smoke in any area of the ship.

Amazingly we were in 4047 on the Star and 514 on the Quest so we had almost the same rooms. The V1 is 365SF and the DV4 is 270SF. I would definitely opt for the former. But that's just the room. Lots of other considerations for a world cruise which I don't believe we will ever take. Do like Grand Voyages tho.:)

That’s pretty good for comparison. Those figures include the balcony right? Sojourn balcony’s about 18” deeper but not all useable due to door swing. The room felt larger than Viking but not by much. Not laid out as well imho. Still, any cruise beats working.🍸😎

• 4 years later...
On 8/27/2018 at 1:01 PM, Jim Avery said:

On Viking room service was also always on time and nicely done. We sat at a low coffee table, not a full table on VS. This could easily be solved by putting a Hi-Lo table for the coffee table. Viking also has a good room service menu and allows ordering from the MDR or Manfredi's during their operating hours.

2 new-to-me things you mentioned here Jim:  

1) What is this Hi-Lo table?  You could request  a "Hi-Lo table" to replace your stateroom's coffee table? 

2) I could order to my stateroom from the MDR or Manfredi's 

when they are open?  Really? 

Edited by SempreMare

• 3 weeks later...

The debate over which line is better is typically unproductive. The real question is which line is best for me and my unique needs and likes.  It is kind of like marriage. My wife says I’m a good guy. We have been married for 46 years. But I am confident I would likely be a disaster married to other people, most of whom are wonderful.

Our process began by listing our must haves and then reading various Boards and reviews. We tried a luxury line and it wasn’t for us. That doesn’t mean the line isn’t great; only that it wasn’t great for us.

For us, Viking checked a lot of boxes—great food for a pescatarian, interesting itineraries, beautiful-modern cabins, comfortable bed, a wrap-around Promenade Deck, comfortable dress code, interesting lectures and a ship whose layout and size enable us to escape the limelight of work.

Edited by rbslos18
  • Like 5