Question about online check-in on Carnival

familycruise41

We just booked a cruise for the family at the end of December on Carnival. I noticed that online check-in and youth program registration are not open until Oct 1. Is this like Southwest Airlines where it's to your advantage to check in at the earliest possible time when they open it? Or should I just log on and take care of it any time beginning on that date?

We tried to buy FTTF but it says it is sold out... not sure where that leaves us regarding the urgency of checking in at a certain time (or not). How does the staggered embarkment time work? Do we pick our slot?

Also, if someone can give me an idea of what info/documents I need to have handy for that check in (passports?) that would be great.

Last time we cruised, it was sans kids on honeymoon in 1999 so things seem very different now :)

If you want a certain time slot for your "arrival time" you probably want to do your on line check in pretty close to Oct. 1. Have your passports, a credit card, and phone number for an emergency contact on hand. Not a long process, nice to get it over and done.

We just booked a cruise for the family at the end of December on Carnival. I noticed that online check-in and youth program registration are not open until Oct 1. Is this like Southwest Airlines where it's to your advantage to check in at the earliest possible time when they open it? Or should I just log on and take care of it any time beginning on that date?

I do not know of any advantage to completing online check-in immediately upon it's availability (90 days out, as you've discovered).

We tried to buy FTTF but it says it is sold out... not sure where that leaves us regarding the urgency of checking in at a certain time (or not). How does the staggered embarkment time work? Do we pick our slot?

If you're interested in FTTF, keep checking back, especially right around final payment time and afterward. They usually release more FTTF's as the cruise date approaches. As to your arrival appointment time (I think that's what you meant by picking your slot), yes you pick your time slot as soon as your booking opens for online check-in (or soon there after). If you don't have FTTF (or are not Platinum/Diamond/suite guests), you cannot arrive at the terminal earlier than your chosen time slot; you can however arrive at the port later. If you do buy FTTF, you can arrive at the terminal when you want, regardless of the arrival time slot you chose.

Also, if someone can give me an idea of what info/documents I need to have handy for that check in (passports?) that would be great.

You'll need your printed boarding passes (one for each person), government ID's (passports if you have them; birth certificates with a government issued photo ID otherwise) and the credit card you supplied during online check-in. You'll need to print your luggage tags and attach them to whatever luggage you want to check with the porters at the cruise port.

Last time we cruised, it was sans kids on honeymoon in 1999 so things seem very different now :)

See above in bold.

I did my online check in exactly at the 90 day mark for my upcoming cruise at 430am Eastern time and the earliest time I could get for pier check in was 1230. So I guess I needed to be on even earlier then that. I thought I would be early enough but guess not. I was hoping for something like 1130 when I used to normally check in.

To complete your online check in process make sure you have passports or ID, credit card number etc. Thats everything you will need to get the process going.

Have a great cruise!!

We just hit our 90-day mark for our November 25 cruise. I was up at 12:01am, so I went in and set my arrival appointment time at 11:30, which was the earliest time offered. Others in our roll call who set their arrival time later in the day reported that they were only able to get 12:30.

That's the only reason I can think of to check-in at the 90-day mark.