Mariner – 3.5 days + 2 hrs of Amazing Fun!

LuCruise

Waterslides

As with the SkyPad, the waterslides were added as part of the refurbishment. Our kids had a lot of fun on them. They are very "parent-friendly"; meaning that you can just wait at the bottom and have your kids walk up the winding stairs where you can see them. Then when they go down the slides, there is an open part so you can tell when it is them...especially if on the yellow slide (in order to catch that picture).

The stairway

IMG_1349%20Small_zpsin88npz2.jpeg

View from the bottom:

IMG_1310%20Small_zps2ldjuusg.jpeg

I almost went on it, but hesitated due to most landing flat in the water in the end with their head emerged under water (and water up the nose?). Was fun just watching them.

Sail Away

It was perfect timing for them to go on the slides as DH and I could also watch the ship sail with the beautiful views of Miami coast.

IMG_1315%20Small_zpssvfmixip.jpeg

And another

IMG_1314%20Small_zpsf3dm1kff.jpeg

Some dream homes along the water

IMG_1317%20Small_zpsrlic4n0w.jpeg

So peaceful to watch as we sailed away.

Lu Cruise, great post can't wait to see more as I am sailing on her on the Oct 1st sailing. There have ben many posts on the main board about RCCl's mattresses being too hard. So being that they just refurbished the Mariner wanted to ask you how comfortable the mattresses are so I know whether to order or bring a mattress topper with me.

Was on B2B Mariner a few weeks ago. Great crew!!! Sky Pad fun - (no reservations taken.) 4 people can go on at a time. If it rains they don’t open and then wait until everything is dried off. I did it without the virtual helmet as I wanted to be able to look around and talk to the person who was helping me. Happy to have have the experience. Had done water slides on Adventure - great fun. Noticed a small pool - the kind you manually fill -for toddlers near the mini golf. IMO Mariner would not be optimum ship for parents / grandparents bringing toddlers. There are other Royal Ships with nicer toddler and kids pools!

Lu Cruise, great post can't wait to see more as I am sailing on her on the Oct 1st sailing. There have ben many posts on the main board about RCCl's mattresses being too hard. So being that they just refurbished the Mariner wanted to ask you how comfortable the mattresses are so I know whether to order or bring a mattress topper with me.

Bet you can't wait for Oct. Everyone is different and think that DH and I probably like harder vs softer mattresses, but found the mattress very comfortable and slept very well.

I'm interested in booking a cruise on Mariner. Hoping you will motivate me to go ahead and pull the trigger! :D Shouldn't take much effort on your part! I just have to figure out when it fits into our schrdule.

Mariner is awesome! Our previous cruise was Allure so it's missing the Boardwalk and Central Park and Broadway style show, but I would go on her again in a heartbeat. We all had an amazing time with so much to do both in amenities and things going on. Highly recommend it if you can make it work.

Was on B2B Mariner a few weeks ago. Great crew!!! Sky Pad fun - (no reservations taken.) 4 people can go on at a time. If it rains they don’t open and then wait until everything is dried off. I did it without the virtual helmet as I wanted to be able to look around and talk to the person who was helping me. Happy to have have the experience. Had done water slides on Adventure - great fun. Noticed a small pool - the kind you manually fill -for toddlers near the mini golf. IMO Mariner would not be optimum ship for parents / grandparents bringing toddlers. There are other Royal Ships with nicer toddler and kids pools!

Yes. When we went they didn't always have all 4 SkyPad's running but it seemed like at busier times that they sent more staff up so they could run all 4. My kids too tried it once without the helmet. Great option for both.

And yeah, we noticed the blow up pool for toddlers at the mini-golf, but very true. There is no shallow pool in the main area. They did block off part of one of the pools in the flat section so they could sit there (and it was used). There is a kids club for young ones but didn't pay much attention. Agree with you though for the young ones if selecting a ship.

Pre-Chops Dinner

Forgot to mention two things. We decided to try a specialty restaurant this time and selected Chops. DH is a steak lover. I don't eat chicken or beef, but love fish and seafood. And for our kids, even if they just ate the sides, we figured they would enjoy it (mac and cheese, fries were on the menu).

Since we had a nice dinner booked for the first night:

• We wanted a lighter meal for lunch. Most go to the Windjammer on day 1, but we decided to try Cafe Promenade. Our kids had the pizza (no Sorrentos so this is where they server it). Ok...not so light but at least not tons of buffet food. DH and I both tried these brie sandwiches in pita. They looked basic and plain but were actually really good. And it's a cruise ship so we were still required to try dessert. They had those coconut ranger cookies that people talk about and I agree...yum! Kids had pudding thing and DH also had some cookie. Lunch was good and we weren't overstuffed to make room for dinner. Perfect.

• On Allure we had MTD, but we booked 6 pm traditional dining on Mariner. I was reminded on cruise critic a few weeks earlier that with traditional we may be seated with other people. Thus, sometime before muster we stopped at the dining room and let them know that we wouldn't be there that evening. They showed us our table (#403 by the window) and we were assigned a table with 4 other people so glad we stopped in as we didn't want them waiting for us to arrive to order.

Chops

Our Chops reservation was for 6pm. DH and DS wore slacks and dress shirt. DD and I wore dress. (DD has a fancy dress she wore at her brother's bar mitzvah back in April so at least this was a chance to wear it again before she outgrew it). We were seated in the far end and the server came up right away and introduced herself and asked us our names. I guess it's the style but I found it funny how she kept calling me "Miss x" (where x is my name).

Chops is the only place where I took food pictures (think I would have felt funny taking out my camera in MDR when sitting with others), but hopefully they show off the food.

They start by bringing out bread and butter. It looks like nothing special, but it was warm and fresh.

IMG_1324%20Small_zpssmm8ljbn.jpeg

DH's new drink that he orders is Old Fashioned, but he changes the alcohol to rye. (I stuck with white wine and kids ordered a lemonade.)

IMG_1326%20Small_zpsu7th5dyf.jpeg

For appetizers, DH ordered Beef Carpaccio

IMG_1322%20Small_zpsdkf5tqpl.jpeg

And I ordered Caesar Salad

IMG_1325%20Small_zps5ixff7un.jpeg

Nothing interested our kids so they stuck with the bread (but DD did try some of my salad and liked it)

Chops Meal (continued)...

For our main meal, DH and DS ordered the Filet Mignon (9oz for DH. 6oz for DS). My 13 year year old is super picky, but he really loved the meat. DH said it was delicious too. (I just have to take their word for it).

IMG_1330%20Small_zpsdvccfwfg.jpeg

For myself, I love shrimp. The menu had it listed as 'spicy shirmp', so I asked if they could make it not spicy. The waitress had to check with the kitchen (surprised this is not a common request), but it was no issue. Think it was in a butter/garlic sauce and it was as good as it looks.

IMG_1329%20Small_zps1yxvsha0.jpeg

DD9 had the steak from the children's menu. It came with fries. She actually didn't love it, but could have been the way that we requested it as we order it more well done for her to be on safe side. But she also ordered a max & cheese side with it that was really good. Picture of her meal.

IMG_1327%20Small_zpsg7cpsqrx.jpeg

DS also got his own mac & cheese. And we ordered asparagus, tater tots and truffle french fries for sides.

Chops Dessert (continued)...

Now for the best part...dessert. DH ordered some coffee with dessert as he likes that combo.

Both DH and DS ordered the Key Lime Pie. They said it was pretty good.

IMG_1337%20Small_zpsjp8vlco5.jpeg

DD ordered the cheesecake. She loved it and I think DH and DS were a bit envious that they didn't select that as well.

IMG_1336%20Small_zpspej43kwa.jpeg

I'm a chocolate lover and one of my favorites is the molten lava cake, and they had 'warm chocolate cake' so figured it was similar. It was quite delicious with the right amount of richness.

IMG_1338%20Small_zpssawiopaj.jpeg

Chops Pricing (continued)...

One final comment/warning about booking Chops. When you pre-book, they charge you the adult price per person regardless of their age (i.e. 12 and under should have kids cost which is $10 + gratuity). The waitress didn't say anything to us, so I asked if they credit us for our 9 year old. She said she wasn't sure but to check with the front.

So as we headed out, I stopped at the front. They asked if she ordered form the kids menu. I was honest and said she got her entree from there but did have the mac and cheese and cheesecake (don't remember if cheesecake was on kids menu or adult only). But since she ordered entree from kids menu, they did refund her meal as OBC and then charged us the kids price. Glad they refunded us with no issue, I was a bit annoyed that they didn't refund us automatically or say anything. If I wasn't on cruise critic then I would have no idea about it.

Overall Comment

We really loved our meal and and as soon as we returned from our cruise, we signed on to cruise planner booked specialty for next time. :D

Evening Fun

We finished our dinner just before 8pm...full tummies and all. Our plan was for all of us to go to the arcade for the free hour that started at 8pm and then catch the ice show at 9:15pm. But that plan changed for DH and DS as they saw that Avengers Infinity War was playing at the poolside. Was surprised that something beat the arcade for DS as he's your typical video game teenager, but he loves those superhero movies as well.

So off they went to the pool and DD and I checked out the arcade. Only certain games were free such as the racing ones, and Ms Packman (an old classic from my day). We got on a few at the start and then it started getting busy. That was ok though as we had enough and wanted to get good seats for the ice show.

Down to Studio B for the ice show. We stood with the crowd outside and then when the doors opened, DD noticed 2 seats up front and centre. Bingo. (We're the type that like to be up front).

The show is pretty good. Those skaters make it look so easy even though you know that it's anything but. Spoiler for any that have not seen it...there is one scene where they come out as clowns that is quite funny. And the downside of sitting in the front row is that we got squirted by a water gun. Guess it serves us right. ;p

IMG_1342%20Small_zps6nxwp1dz.jpeg

I recommend seeing the show if you can make it. On our cruise it played night 1 at 7:30pm and 9:15pm, and then again on the last sea day 2pm.

End of Day 1

After the ice show DD and I headed back to our room. Mariner is laid out pretty well and it didn't take us long to get used to the ship and find our stateroom (and I'm really bad with directions...lol).

It wasn't much longer that DH and DS returned to the room.

Was tempted to go to the 10:15pm comedy show, especially as this was the only family friendly showing, but knew that it would be too late for our daughter (even though she wanted to go). So, we called it a night. There was another busy day ahead tomorrow.

Day 2 - Nassau (aka Sea Day)

I woke up by 7am and discovered the beauty of a balcony as I watched the sun rise a we arrived in Nassau.

IMG_1347%20Small_zpss6ihu1ld.jpeg

It was neat to watch as the captain slowly got closer then we turned around to 'park' at our location in port.

We were across from a Carnival ship. (Look how few balcony rooms this particular ship has - or doesn't have)

IMG_1348%20Small_zpsxymy1hhe.jpeg

And we found out later that on the other side of us was the Disney Dream and another Carnival ship.

DH and our kids woke up shortly afterwards. We hadn't eaten for 10 hours and the law is "tho must eat on a cruise" so we threw on bathing suits and cover ups and headed to the Windjammer. We knew too that the earlier to go, the better.

I must say that the selection is impressive....We thought that the first buffet of fruits, muffins, meat, cheese, fried egg, smoked salmon, and some other stuff was it, and then we found another section with more stuff...and then even more at the whole back of the Windjammer with tons of other stuff...pancakes, waffles, bacon, more egg stuff, cereals, yogurts, muesli, and on and on. We had to follow the rules so we filled out plates and didn't leave hungry (of course we didn't have to eat anything as we started out full from dinner last night...lol).

We wobbled out and headed to deck 13 to hit the waterslides and activities.

Our Own Waterslides

Today was Nassau so we figured a lot were staying onboard. After breakfast we thought we'd head to the waterslides to avoid the crowds. Well our kids basically had the slides to themselves. Up the stairs, down the slide, repeat about 20 times. Without a wait going up those winding stairs, it didn't take long for them to get tired.

At 10am the Boogie boarding timeslot was opening at the Flowrider. Our son quite liked it on Allure so he wanted to go on it. The Mariner only has one Flowrider (vs 2 on Allure), but the line wasn't long since not too many people were around (they first finished off the people who were in line for the standing session first). He gave it a shot and got onto his knees, but then had enough. He found it ok but maybe the novelty made him love it more the first time. He's certainly braver than me though as I wouldn't try it (mostly because I don't like water splashing in my face....plus wouldn't see very well without my glasses).

IMG_1360%20Small_zpspklql7uv.jpeg

Video Games and Activities

There was a Wii Tournament at 11am that our son wanted to join so he and DH headed off there. DD and I went to the pool which wasn't too busy since many were in port.

Where else to meet up but the Windjammer? We were all pretty stuffed though so just nibbled on our plates.

After lunch, DH went to explore the shopping area in Nassau and the kids and I hung around the ship. Everyone was dry and we returned to our stateroom for us to all put on socks and closed shoes as the next activities required these. The rock wall was opened until 2:30pm so they tried that. On Allure, my DD went many times but they found this one harder so after the few times, they didn't return.

IMG_1371%20Small_zpsjcz9vfsx.jpeg

We also hit the SkyPad again as our kids loved that. It wasn't busy at all so a good time to go.

Then we went to the front of the ship to try the mini golf. It's in a very quiet area (in fact we were the only ones there). The area also has these cute clam shell loungers and as someone on here mentioned, a small kiddy portable "pool". We played mini gold for a bit but it was pretty hot up there with no breeze.

So we ventured next to the fitness area. They have lots of machines and we all tried, but then the fitness police came around and kicked my DD9 off it. We let DS continue for about 10 minutes the DD didn't like the fact that he could go on and she couldn't so we left.

DH joined us again from his time in Nassau. We next wanted to try Laser Tag so we headed to Studio B.

**Notes for Laser Tag:

1. Make sure that you have closed shoes. DH only had his open toed sandals and good shoes so they wouldn't let him play.
  2. You cannot bring on any bulky belongings. I carry a pouch with my stuff so DH held it since he wasn't playing. So it's best to just have your SeaPass and put it in your pocket.

LaserTag is lots of fun. My son just wanted to play again and again. They need at least 8 people to play so you may have to wait if not enough people. Once they call you in, they prep you with the equipment, you watch a short video and you are split into 2 teams. Recommend trying it if you get a chance.

Night 2 - Dinner Time

The only bad thing with a 6pm dinner time is that it cuts your afternoon a bit short as we need to make sure that we all have time to shower and change beforehand. But we managed and made it to the MDR for 6pm. Traditional works differently in that at your time, they open the doors and you go and find your own assigned table (kind of like a herd of cows). This is the entrance as you walk in. The photo doesn't capture it, but it's quite beautiful looking at all 3 levels.

IMG_1298%20Small_zpskj6yx55s.jpeg

We had a nice table on the end by the window so we could look out to the water. Our table was the "Canadian" table, eh. There was a nice couple who turned out to live not too far from us back home near Toronto. They were interesting to talk to as they just made Diamond + status. At our table was also a mom with her 15 year old son from NB, also nice and interesting people.

Our waiter and assistant waiter introduced themselves (as we missed night 1 due to Chops). There was definitely less interaction with them compared with our waiters when we were on Allure. I think it's due to the fact that they left us alone on Mariner to chat amoug ourselves, whereas on Allure we had My Time and they engaged us in conversation with it being just the four of us. But it was interesting talking with our tablemates and we enjoyed the evening and catching up with everyone's day.

For the meal, they of course start you with rolls and butter which is always a hit. (Our kids could have probably just had that for dinner and they would have been content) Don't remember all our meals, but for me, I started with the Caesar salad (which I had almost every night on Allure) and ordered the pasta with scallops (tiny scallops but meal was ok). Our kids got introduced to onion soup, which they loved, especially our DD...but I think it was more the think layer of cheese on top rather than the soup. For their entree, DD had kids pizza and I think DH and DS had New York Steak, which did not compare to Chops at all. For dessert, I had carrot cake, but don't remember others.

The meal took close to 2 hrs, which our kids remained quite patient. After dinner we were off to the show.

Pattycake08,

I am also sailing on Oct 1, solo this time. After my experience on Freedom this past February where I hardly slept for 6 nights because the bed was so hard I promised myself to always bring a topper. I ordered a twin size one the other day from Walmart for only $10.00. I haven't decided yet whether to leave it behind and order another one to use on Symphony in January or bring it home.

Gallery of Dreams

Our dinner took us close to 8pm. We briefly strolled in the Promenade and then headed to the Royal Theater to see the evening's production show. I've always been one to love front row as I love to be able to see the actor's expressions and all the theatre details. And, I've gotten our kids into that as well. So when we came in, they headed right for the front. This night, the front was taken but we got central seats in second row. Like everything with Royal, the theatre itself is quite pretty and elegant. Even the curtain was pretty.

IMG_1448%20Small_zpsyw1opci0.jpeg

Tonight's show was 'Gallery of Dreams'. The costumes and set were great and the Royal singers pretty good (same leads that are in the show later the week). However, I must say that although I understood the basic 'theme', I'm not sure if there was a an actual story (and if there was, I couldn't tell you what it was). Nevertheless, it was still enjoyable....although I don't think our son would agree as he did not look very amused (vs DD and I who love theatre).

After the show, there was a 'Teen Sky Pad' session so DH and DS went there. DD and I walked through the Promenade and then went back to the room. Unfortunately, DH and DS returned not much after us as apparently it started raining, and they won't run the SkyPad in rain. So much for teen SkyPad at night.

We just let them watch tv for a bit room (same movie played on the tv...monsters vs aliens) and then we got ready for our day tomorrow in CoCo Cay.

Thanks so much for your review! I am considering the 4 day for spring break and I love hearing about your trip. We have two teenagers who would love sky pad, laser tag, etc. Did you find the ship crowded at all? I am a little worry about spring break having every cabin at capacity. I know that the waterslides and everything will have lines just hoping not too long. Staying on in Nassau seems to have worked out well!