Mariner – 3.5 days + 2 hrs of Amazing Fun!

LuCruise

Thanks so much for your review! I am considering the 4 day for spring break and I love hearing about your trip. We have two teenagers who would love sky pad, laser tag, etc. Did you find the ship crowded at all? I am a little worry about spring break having every cabin at capacity. I know that the waterslides and everything will have lines just hoping not too long. Staying on in Nassau seems to have worked out well!

The SkyPad and Laser Tag were our kids favorite things. We went last week of the summer (for Canadians), so there were lots of kids but the line ups weren't bad. I had heard for previous weeks in August that SkyPad was busy so we went for when it opened (12pm on embarkment day, 3pm on other days) and we had no issue. Waterslides were fine too as they moved (2 parallel slides). The Flowrider may be slower as they only have one, but they did put the divider up on the sea day. For Laser Tag, we had the opposite where we had to wait for enough people to play a second game. I'd say the only thing that felt really busy were the pools on the sea day. But your teenagers should love it...and you too!

Day 3 - CoCo Cay

I was up by 7am but we had already arrived at CoCo Cay. Was excited for the day as I'd heard good things about the beach. Once our kids were up, we put on our bathing suits and cover ups and went to the Windjammer to grab breakfast. It was quite busy as everyone else had the same idea, but we still found a table with no issue.

After breakfast we returned to the room where we packed up our things....(jellyfish) sunscreen, regular sunscreen, hats, camera, 3 floats for the water, and 4 towels that we checked out from the pool deck. We headed down to catch a tender boat. Unfortunately, we must have missed one as we had to wait a bit and I think we all felt a little sea sick as the thing was really bobbing up and down. Once the boat started moving, it was fine and a lot smoother.

It doesn't take long to get to the island. I had tried to research where to go on the beach and so we headed past the Aqua park and towards the floating bar.

Aqua Park

IMG_1378%20Small_zpsx36fqvnr.jpeg

You can see how pretty the water is.

IMG_1383%20Small_zpsdvex9ntc.jpeg

We grabbed some loungers that were by the water (and after a bit purchased an umbrella for $30).

IMG_1386%20Small_zpsiyhu2ewp.jpeg

The Floating Bar on our other side

IMG_1387%20Small_zps0xzk1ffm.jpeg

We put on sunscreen and DH sat in the lounger and the kids and I went in the water.

I'll say that there is a bit of seaweed and there are some small rocks that you need to walk over so if that bothers you, you may want to get water shoes (but we didn't have and were fine). The water stays quite shallow for awhile so you can walk out for a bit.

Now..one thing about the water. I had heard a few weeks earlier that there were jellyfish in the water. This worried me, mostly because I didn't want it to scare our kids out of swimming in the ocean (and getting stung didn't sound like much fun). I had done research and had heard of special sea safe anit-jellyfish lotion. So we ordered some from Amazon to be on the safe side. It's a little bit more greasy than regular sunscreen but easy to apply. Thankfully we didn't see any jellyfish when we were there, but did see a sting ray out a bit, and someone warned us of a baby shark that they saw not too far out. Yikes! :eek: So we just stayed close to shore and kept our eyes open and were fine.

CoCo Cay (continued)

There is also a hammock area on the beach for use so DD and I checked it out.

IMG_1406%20Small_zpsbs9qaucw.jpeg

It's large enough for two. Very relaxing (once you figure out how to get on without tipping the other).

IMG_1408%20Small_zpsmlcmva8u.jpeg

They provide a BBQ lunch. We didn't want to lose our spot (especially as we purchased the umbrella) so we went in twos. It was a bit of a pain as we had to walk back to the front area for the food and then return to the loungers, but not a huge deal. The BBQ had lots of variety...hot dogs, burgers, I think some chicken, fish, mac & cheese (which was really good), other pasta salads, pita....and then fruit and sweets for dessert. They also provided drinks such as unsweetened ice tea, lemonade, lemon water, etc.

They ran some organized games on the beach right behind where we were sitting (i.e. just a touch past the Aqua Park). At 12:30pm they had a water balloon toss. DS and I joined in the competition. We weren't the first to break our balloons but we weren't the last group either. It was fun. Then a bit later there was a Hula Hoop competition. DD and DS joined in that. Had no idea that DS could hoop like that. He did quite well and lasted near the end. They had other things afterwards like limbo contest and relay races. We didn't stick around for these but nice that they have some activities going on.

DS had enough beach time and wanted to go back. The rest of us were enjoying so we stayed until close to 2pm and then returned to the front for the tender to return.

You can definitely see the new Pier being built, but it's hard to tell how much more they have to do. I guess the hardest part is the base, which looks done?

IMG_1422%20Small_zpskw0ljzlg.jpeg

A couple pictures of the Mariner as we got closer.

IMG_1424%20Small_zps5pbs9wfq.jpeg

and

IMG_1428%20Small_zpshvygz4i7.jpeg

Back on the Ship

Once back on the ship, we wanted to do some of the dry activities so we returned to our stateroom to get changed and put on closed shoes. Then we headed for the Sky Pad as it opened at 2:30pm and as mentioned, its best to go near opening time. Our theory was right and our kids even got on 2 or 3 times in a row. My son loved Laser Tag so we headed there next. Again we went a couple times in a row. Then I think my daughter wanted to do the Sky Pad again and DS wanted another game of Laser Tag so we split up. I'm pretty sure in there somewhere as well we either grabbed frozen yogurt from the machines or a cookie from the Windjammer.

Tonight was 'Dress Your Best' for dinner so back to the staterooms to shower and change. We wore our 'nicer' clothes (but probably DD was the only one more on the formal side).

Dress Your Best in MDR

Dinner was nice as usual with chatting with our table mates. The menu was standard. I think that was the night I tried this seafood pastry thing as an appetizer. Was ok, but the sauce was not my taste. Both kids ordered chicken fingers but DD didn't like it. At least she filled up on the onion soup for appetizer. Nothing on the regular menu interested me so I had the salmon, which was pretty good. Don't remember what DH had. The meal itself wasn't anything special or formal (guess no lobster on the shorter cruises), but the waiters did a parade and went to the back staircase with a son and dance thing. The couple at our table who reached "Diamond +" status said it is the song they do on every ship. Our kids enjoyed though as everyone swirled their napkins over their heads and then they went up to watch the "show".

The Ventriloquist and DH the Dummy

We headed to the Royal Theatre after dinner. It was around 8pm (i.e. 30 minutes before start time) and so we were able to grab front row. Now I normally love front row but this was a 'comedian' so was a little nervous as I am very shy and don't like to be picked on.

The headliner's name was Brad Cummings. He's been on The Late Show, and I'm sure he's a regular cruise performer. Anyways, he used different puppets with the puppets talking and he was quite funny (and you really couldn't see his lips moving - very good). Each time he looked into the audience I was cringing. He kept picking on this guy sitting in our row, down the a few seats on the left...and constantly during the act (that was part of his joke). At one point he picked on someone in our row on the far right.

Then he called the guy up onto the stage who is in our row on the left. Nope...he refused (don't blame him). He then tried the guy next to me. Nope. Then he tried the guy sitting 3 seats on my right. That's DH! Well DH is the opposite from me and was happy to join in the fun. So up on stage he goes.

I should mention that at this point, he had put his puppet away. Well, guess who gets to be the next dummy. :') He asks DH to sit on his knee and DH's expression was priceless. Too funny. So DH sat on his knee and the headliner told him to open his mouth wide every time he pinched the back of his neck. The headliner of course did all the words but it was super funny as DH followed the instructions perfectly (and even put in a few hand movements, which the headliner commented he doesn't need to do...lol). Then he even does a song. DH was perfect in his act and probably made the show. It was a good show (and we happened to see the headliner afterwards outside and were able to compliment him)

For the rest of the cruise, people recognized DH and would reference him by his name "Hey are you x?" He was a celebrity for a couple days. ;)

Edited by LuCruise

The Ventriloquist and DH the Dummy

For the rest of the cruise, people recognized DH and would reference him by his name "Hey are you x?" He was a celebrity for a couple days. ;)

The fame totally went to my head. I have an agent now. Call me, I'm booking company events, and bar mitzvahs.

;p

Day 4 - Sea Day

Sea Days are great as you can just enjoy the ship. DH and I were up early and sat out on the balcony. There was a dark cloud and all of a sudden it started raining hard. But the good news is that we were moving and up ahead we could see blue sky. Sure enough, after about 5 minutes, it was sunny and dry.

We decided to try the MDR for breakfast today. They have a buffet, not as big as the Windjammer but still a good selection of cheese, deli, muffins, fruits and other things. You can also order off the menu. DH and I both had the Eggs Benedict and it was really good. DD has strawberry pancakes that looked quite decadent. Think DS had French Toast. It's funny how on a cruise ship you can be full and yet feel obligated to eat.

With it being a sea day we figured the activities were going to be crowded. Thus after breakfast (while they were dry), the kids went on the Sky Pad a few times as the lines were short. Next they headed to the waterslides. They didn't have a "private" session on the slides like on our Nassau day, but it wasn't too busy. The Flowrider Boogie Boarding time was opening up soon so thought that DS might want to try that but he didn't want to. He seemed to like it more last time on Allure. Not sure why.

Think it was around 11am when we headed over to the pools. There are only 2 all around pools (i.e. not solarium) and well 'crowded' is an understatement. The issue is that we couldn't find a lounger...anywhere. We circled a couple times. I had to go back to the room so DH took the kids in the pool (and just put their stuff on the side of the pool). When I returned I circled again and got lucky as someone was just leaving (again, like going to the mall around Christmas). Phew.

DH asked if I wanted a drink as he was getting one. I'm not a big drinker and I typically wouldn't have a drink before 6pm, but it was 11am so close enough. He had this big cantaloupe thing and I had a pina colada. Yum. We headed back to the pool and there was a group that called out DH's name as they recognized him from the show. Who knew you could be famous for being a dummy. Too funny.

We hung around the pool, grabbed a light lunch in the Windjammer, and then returned to the pool area for the Belly Flop contest (as spectators of course). That's always a fun show to watch. DD and I had a great spot in the pool (DH and DS watched from side side as DS had enough water). There was actually one female participating, and of course a bunch of guys. Don't know how they do without it hurting themselves (or maybe they just don't care...lol), but you gotta give them credit.

Edited by LuCruise

Day 4 - Sea Day (continued)...

After the Belly Flop contest, DH and DS went to see the ice show as it was playing again. DD went back on the waterslides and had some required ice cream (not at the same time). Then I think she dried off and went back to the room to change so she could go back on the Sky Pad.

After that we met DH and DS in our stateroom. At 4pm, there was a Harry Potter trivia in the Schooner bar. DH is a huge fan and so wanted to attend. We had some time, so DS, DD and I explored the ship a bit. Not sure if we were supposed to be up there or not, but we poked around at deck 14 (although Ellington's was up there and I believe that was for anyone). There were some nice views of the ship.

We headed to the Schooner bar for the trivia and were amazed at how many other Harry Potter fans there were. It was packed! The guy running it came a bit late but went through the questions. DS didn't win but did quite well. The funny thing is, the prize was a Harry Potter book. You would think that the winner already has owns that? :confused:

We met our tablemates for dinner in the MDR for our last supper (sounds like a religious event). Meal was good as usual and the servers did a little "show" again.

After dinner we headed to the Royal Theatre for the show. It was a comedian so we were not sitting in front row....our kids would have to settle with second row. The show started with the Royal cast singing songs (poor DS), but then the comedian/juggler came out. He was entertaining..your typical cruise performer. Then the Royal cast sang again. They sang a few Queen songs which I loved. (Not sure if they recycle cast members from their We Will Rock You show from Anthem?)

After the show was the worst part of the cruise....time to head back to the cabin to pack. Boo hoo! We kept clothes out that we would need for the morning and packed up the rest. So sad. The cruise went so fast (but not complaining as we had a blast).

Thanks much as I really enjoyed reading your review! It was so nicely written and the pictures were great.

Quick question: How was your disembarkation and did you do self-assist or placed your bags outside the door on the last night? We're on the Nov 12-16 sailing and trying to decide if I can make it to FLL for an 11:15 AM flight or be on the safe side and book a 1:45 PM flight home.

Thanks!

Thanks much as I really enjoyed reading your review! It was so nicely written and the pictures were great.

Quick question: How was your disembarkation and did you do self-assist or placed your bags outside the door on the last night? We're on the Nov 12-16 sailing and trying to decide if I can make it to FLL for an 11:15 AM flight or be on the safe side and book a 1:45 PM flight home.

Thanks!

Thank you for your kind words. :-)

As for your question, you beat me to it as next post is disembarkation. :-)

Our flight wasn't until the evening so we left in usual way with getting an assigned luggage tag. It was pretty smooth. You are flying out of FLL (vs Miami)? If so, maybe you want to do self check out? Or book the later flight to be safe?

Kicked off

Today was the day we were kicked off of paradise and had to return to reality of cooking, cleaning, laundry, chores, taking kids to this program and that program, and worst of all....dreaded work. But there was one last breakfast to have first. You really feel like its your "last supper" and want to get your money's worth and eat everything. ;p

Of course, when everyone comes to the Windjammer at the same time, it's pretty crazy. This was the only time that we had a hard time finding a free table, but we finally did manage to grab one. We let our kids have "dessert" with their unhealthy breakfast (and they were upset that they only got one selection).

After our last breakfast :loudcry: we headed back to our room. I forgot to mention that the night before there were luggage tags waiting for us on our bed (that's like a kick in the stomach when you see them). Our flight wasn't until 8:30pm, and our tags had a departure of 8:30am (I think #26). When it was close to that time we packed up our last stuff, double checked the room, and headed to the Royal Theatre to wait. It was maybe 10 minutes after our time when they called us and off we went. Our luggage came out soon when we got to the carousel. So tough walking off the ship...it was sooo much better when we were walking in the reverse direction 4 days earlier.

I do like this close up picture as we walked off the ship.

IMG_1451%20Small_zpsmynk5idt.jpeg

Edited by LuCruise

Oh no. Are others missing the pictures too? I don't have a subscription but have a 'free' account created.

Yes, I've seen a bunch of posts that don't have photos anymore. The photos are still on Photobucket's website, and can be viewed there, but they won't let anyone embed a photo on another website without a subscription.

Yes, I've seen a bunch of posts that don't have photos anymore. The photos are still on Photobucket's website, and can be viewed there, but they won't let anyone embed a photo on another website without a subscription.

Interesting as I can still see all the beautiful photos back to the OP's initial post. I'm not as familiar with Photobucket though. I'm logged in and following the thread on my laptop... but not sure if that makes a difference.

Donna

Tell me more about the mattresses? Are they compatible to those on the Disney ships? Trying to pack a topper seems a bit unrealistic since we are flying in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on Disney magic but it was a little while ago so I don't remember how they compare. But for Mariner, I had no issues with the mattress and slept really well (maybe just exhausted from the busy days and hot sun? ;) ). I do like hard mattresses though so not sure if I'm fair to judge. You see people comment/ask about this. Is a mattress topper hard to pack? If so, would an extra comforter maybe work to lie on if so?

Do you have a link to your photos directly on Photobucket so I can view them there?

I've got one more post to do. Will see if I can try a different photo site. If that works, then I don't mind re-posting some photos at the end.