Looking to cruise Italy like a local

shm9496

My husband and I are taking a long-anticipated vacation next summer, and are interested in traveling to southern Italy and nearby islands. But we'd love to keep the experience as authentic as possible by traveling on a boat patronized primarily by Italians: We're far more interested in culture than luxury. Does such a thing exist? Or are we doomed to one of the major US cruise lines if we can't afford a private charter? Thank you!

You´re not doomed to a US cruise line but can chose Costa or MSC... anyway it´s not much different from RCI, NCL or so. Although both lines are Italian/international there´s not too much of an Italian feeling and nothing local at all.

You need to go on a much smaller ship... Any mass market ship embarking up to 5.000 pax in a port won´t give you any kind of local feeling.

I´ve recently returned from a sailing yacht for 28 pax max starting in Sicily going to the islands of Vulcano, Lipari and Stromboli. Much more local feeling on that cruise (but actually it´s a Dutch/German company).

steamboats

You´re not doomed to a US cruise line but can chose Costa or MSC... anyway it´s not much different from RCI, NCL or so. Although both lines are Italian/international there´s not too much of an Italian feeling and nothing local at all.

You need to go on a much smaller ship... Any mass market ship embarking up to 5.000 pax in a port won´t give you any kind of local feeling.

I´ve recently returned from a sailing yacht for 28 pax max starting in Sicily going to the islands of Vulcano, Lipari and Stromboli. Much more local feeling on that cruise (but actually it´s a Dutch/German company).

steamboats

This sounds like an awesome trip!! Would you mind sharing what company this is? I did a land trip thru these areas and it was fantastic but going by boat sounds even better!

This sounds like an awesome trip!! Would you mind sharing what company this is? I did a land trip thru these areas and it was fantastic but going by boat sounds even better!

The company is called Sailing Classics. They do operate three sailing yachts. You can check out my review here (try google translate for translation). Cabins are pretty small. Crew does speak German, Dutch and English (in fact the service crew were two girls and a boy from South Africa who did not speak any German).

steamboats

The company is called Sailing Classics. They do operate three sailing yachts. You can check out my review here (try google translate for translation). Cabins are pretty small. Crew does speak German, Dutch and English (in fact the service crew were two girls and a boy from South Africa who did not speak any German).

steamboats

Thank you so much!

steamboats

Great pictures! Could you tell me if the company was good to deal with? I would love to go to Sardinia! Were there any solos on your trip? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, there were solos on our trip. And they do also offer a shared cabin (same sex of course).

We booked with the German office in Stuttgart. There´s another office in the Netherlands. We had no problems dealing with them.

steamboats

Thanks for the info.! I sent an email yesterday but have not heard back yet, will try again.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe 8 years ago my husband and I caught the Moby ferry to Olbia, Sardinia from the port at Civitavecchio. (It seemed almost all passengers were Italian). Once in Olbia we took a short cab ride to the airport where we rented a car for the week. However, Sardinia is the destination of choice for Italians in August and summer can be very crowded. We went in early May and it was beautiful.