What can Carnival do for Birthdays?

Vitesacd

We were on Carnival for my 70th Bday. Our room steward wrote Happy Birthday on the mirror in the room. PLUS I also received that $50 spa credit a credit for a couple of pix from the photo department and a bottle of champagne. My DW ended up using the spa credit to get her nails done and whatever. We thought it was very generous of Carnival.

Cheers

Len

2 years ago we were on a Carnival cruise and on his actual birth date during the cruise, DH received a $50 gift certificate for the Spa. He used it towards a mani-pedi and loved them both. We often cruise during our birthdays and have received a bottle of wine or a small cake in the MDR (we did not pay for them) but this was the first time either of us received a Spa gift certificate.

Last September, a friend and I were on our first Alaska cruise. We chose the dates we did specifically to go to Glacier Bay, even though it departed 4 days after her birthday. We still called it her birthday cruise!

About 3 weeks before the cruise, I emailed Legend's maitre'd to find out how I should go about ordering a small birthday cake that they could surprise her with in the MDR. Yes, with the candle and the singing too. I gave the dates of our cruise and names, and asked how do I arrange this---order then or on the ship, pay then or on ship, check with dining room, servers---I just had no idea and was looking for guidance. Next day, he responded "Yes, we can." No other explanation at all. I figured I would just get a small cake onboard and have it in the room.

I can't remember if it was night 1 or 2 that our server came to me at the table in front of everyone and said he would bring "my" birthday cake! I kept telling him it wasn't my birthday. Trying to secretly tell him it was my friend's birthday. We were at a 6-top of all ladies, and everyone pretty much figured out what was going on. It was actually funny. They brought out a fabulous chocolate with chocolate cake and sang to her. She shared with everyone at our table; servers brought more plates/forks and cut and served it to all of us. Maitre'd Manuel later came asking for me and asked if everything was okay. Of course---it was wonderful! And they did not charge at all for any of this. Later, my friend was given a $50 spa certificate; she used it to buy some kind of $62 hair treatment and was very pleased.

Basically, they ran with my inquiring to the Legend Maitre'd and handled it beautifully.

On your reservation online there is a spot to note special occasions and my wife did get s nice fruit and cake dessert, free photo card, and spa credit (they wouldn’t allow it to be used on products, just services, have heard mixed results), the free photo was a nice touch for sure. Buys Carnival a lot of goodwill for a few cents worth of paper

Carnival does this automatically if your birthday falls on a day that your are sailing. You might want to make sure that you never sail on her birthday if this is the case. Or that she knows that it’s automatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not true. I sailed last week and my birthday fell during the cruise. I got the card with the spa and photo gift vouchers and was deathly afraid that I’d get the waiters singing to me also. Fortunately, the waiters did not sing to me at dinner. You must have to specially request that and my spouse knew not to try a stunt like that!

• 1 month later...

I sailed on Fascination last month during my Bday.  I received the $50 spa card.  We had a port every day so I didn't have time to use the card.  I did however call and ask if I could use the card towards products and they said no.  I have read that others have been able to purchase products with the spa card (so maybe at least try if you aren't using it on a service).  

We did not mention my bday to anyone because we dine on our time.  One evening the servers sang and brought a piece of cake with a candle.  The cake was... interesting.

20180cake 907_204237.jpg

On 9/17/2018 at 7:51 AM, GradUT said:

Not true. I sailed last week and my birthday fell during the cruise. I got the card with the spa and photo gift vouchers and was deathly afraid that I’d get the waiters singing to me also. Fortunately, the waiters did not sing to me at dinner. You must have to specially request that and my spouse knew not to try a stunt like that!

You were lucky.  We sailed last month and were celebrating our anniversary.  We received the spa gift card from our steward, and the servers sang to us with cake during formal dinner (we were at David's the first night).  They also sang Happy Birthday with cake to a tablemate.  I know neither my husband or I requested singing and I don't the other couple knew anything about it either.

It was sweet to be recognized though and did not particularly affect our dinner. At least Carnival lets you take the cake with you - Princess didn't when we had our anniversary with them and were too full.

On 10/31/2018 at 10:28 AM, crbnlvr said:

I sailed on Fascination last month during my Bday.  I received the $50 spa card.  We had a port every day so I didn't have time to use the card.  I did however call and ask if I could use the card towards products and they said no.  I have read that others have been able to purchase products with the spa card (so maybe at least try if you aren't using it on a service).  

We did not mention my bday to anyone because we dine on our time.  One evening the servers sang and brought a piece of cake with a candle.  The cake was... interesting.

20180cake 907_204237.jpg

What was the flavor of that “cake”? Lol did it come like that or was the picture taken after several bites?