Harvest Caye Snorkeling

busydad12

We are intermediate snorkelers and were wondering if any one has done the Barrier reef snorkel through NCL from Harvest Caye ? The other option looks like take the ferry and book a private excursion out of Placencia. Any information on either would be much appreciated. We sail in January and we are trying to figure out something else to do for our second time to the island.

We are intermediate snorkelers and were wondering if any one has done the Barrier reef snorkel through NCL from Harvest Caye ? The other option looks like take the ferry and book a private excursion out of Placencia. Any information on either would be much appreciated. We sail in January and we are trying to figure out something else to do for our second time to the island.

Trying to decide on the same thing, we are also going in January. The reviews for the NCL snorkle excursion at the reef are not good. So I think we will probably take the ferry and book a private one out of Placencia.

Will be doing the barrier reef snorkel offered by NCL next week when I am on the Sun. Can post a response after that letting you know what DH and I think about it!

Thanks! I'm sure both the OP and I would both appreciate that very much! I wasn't able to find out much via search.

Trying to decide on the same thing, we are also going in January. The reviews for the NCL snorkle excursion at the reef are not good. So I think we will probably take the ferry and book a private one out of Placencia.
The only thing I worry about doing the private excursion is coordinating taking the ferry and getting back to the ferry. Evidently they give you a return time. Not any information on anyone doing that also.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Where can I find out more about the ferry to Placencia? Is it an excursion? Is it included?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

Where can I find out more about the ferry to Placencia? Is it an excursion? Is it included?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

You can book it once you get on board. I believe you go to the shore excursion desk. It shuttles you to and from Placencia.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I will be doing the barrier reef snorkel in late Nov/early Dec on the Breakaway.

I did a private make your own tour the last time I was there during New Years cruise. Took the ferry as an excursion, and they gave you a time to return. However, you could take a later ferry, but you had to get in line after those people originally assigned that ferry time.

That private make your tour was by happenstance. I showed up at palencia pier after the tours left and guys on the pier were asking what I wanted to do. Snorkel. He tried to see if there was anyone around to take me out. He thought it would be tough with just me. Another guy showed up wanting to scuba. When it was apparent that he could not scuba alone, he decided to snorkel. Lucky for me.

So, we now had two people and they would take us out. We got a boat captain and a private snorkel guide. It was kind of choppy, so we were limited on where we could go. Was a little worried about the success of this private tour.

Until we saw a nurse shark he located in a lobster hideout. We saw huge crabs. Huge starfish. Various fish. The snorkel guide went all out. We got to see two lobsters up close and personal.

Took us back to the pier to a restaurant right near, and we were served a fresh lobster each for lunch.

That was a great snorkel trip that just kind of happened. I don’t have that captains name. Just go to the Palencia pier and see if you can get lucky.

Not the best snorkel tour I have ever had, that would be sharks and rays Belize city. That is hands down the best snorkel trip. Sharks, stingrays, mana rays, turtles

• 2 weeks later...

So we did the barrier reef snorkel on 9/27. It was just okay. First, they cram you on a boat, not a catamaran. Did not have much room to move around and we had over 30 participants. The staff was very friendly and funny. There were 10 crew plus the captain. Once at the site, you are placed in groups of 8 and you were assigned to a crew member. They did not allow you to snorkel the area on your own, you had to stay with the crew member you were assigned to. The visibility and colors were not the best but it did rain just prior to us arriving in Harvest Caye, and the sun was not out full force, so that may have contributed to this. The crew member that DH and I were assigned to was very informative. He would point out fish, shells, coral, etc and then explain about those things. On the ride back to Harvest Caye, water, juice or rum punch was served. However, the juice and rum punches tasted watered down. Overall, we had a good time but not a great time. If we return to Harvest Caye, we have decided we would not do the snorkeling there.

Edited by Weluv2cruise2gether
typos

So we did the barrier reef snorkel on 9/27. It was just okay. First, they cram you on a boat, not a catamaran. Did not have much room to move around and we had over 30 participants. The staff was very friendly and funny. There were 10 crew plus the captain. Once at the site, you are placed in groups of 8 and you were assigned to a crew member. They did not allow you to snorkel the area on your own, you had to stay with the crew member you were assigned to. The visibility and colors were not the best but it did rain just prior to us arriving in Harvest Caye, and the sun was not out full force, so that may have contributed to this. The crew member that DH and I were assigned to was very informative. He would point out fish, shells, coral, etc and then explain about those things. On the ride back to Harvest Caye, water, juice or rum punch was served. However, the juice and rum punches tasted watered down. Overall, we had a good time but not a great time. If we return to Harvest Caye, we have decided we would not do the snorkeling there.
Thank you for this update! We're there in November and needed info. We are experienced snorkelers and have snorkeled there twice before through NCL, but we will now pass. Looks like a day of being lazy on the ship and not rushing around. We will take a dip in the pool, a dip in the ocean, walk around a bit and then back to The Haven for food, drinks, sun and naps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

• 4 months later...