Pre/Post Cruise Hotel

BTCRUISES

On 10/2/2018 at 9:14 AM, JimandStan said:

And a superior price if you do not have points.

True, but considering the plummeting value of Airline Miles, the Starwood Points option (which never expire and have no blackout periods) is a superior product.
Knowledge is power.

Except, the merger of programs with Marriott has resulted in some devaluation upon redemption.  At least they converted at 3 to 1. 

My accounts with both look to have combined (I had cleaned them out prior to devaluation with bookings), but some have had issues.  Might be worth a trip to Flyertalk to investigate issues people have been having.  In fact, this reminds me to check that my recent Starwood Amex miles have been credited correctly. 

2 hours ago, buggins0402 said:

Except, the merger of programs with Marriott has resulted in some devaluation upon redemption.  At least they converted at 3 to 1. 

My accounts with both look to have combined (I had cleaned them out prior to devaluation with bookings), but some have had issues.  Might be worth a trip to Flyertalk to investigate issues people have been having.  In fact, this reminds me to check that my recent Starwood Amex miles have been credited correctly. 

Agree. I have used up my few SPG/Marriott points and will cancel both cards. This program no longer has value for me. The last use was the best - I booked Westin Venice for 25K points but as it will be closed during my stay they moved me to Gritti Palace at no extra charge. Better to be lucky than good.

Staying with IHG & Hyatt programs for number of reasons.

As always, YMMV

Edited by Paulchili

When traveling abroard I stay at boutique hotels or B&B's which are not part of chain hotels. Since I prefer these small hotels and forego the points associated with chains.  I am also retired and no longer accrue Marriott points through my company. The only program I am now part of is IHG since I will stay at their hotels when I drive to and from Florida.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Agree. I have used up my few SPG/Marriott points and will cancel both cards. This program no longer has value for me. The last use was the best - I booked Westin Venice for 25K points but as it will be closed during my stay they moved me to Gritti Palace at no extra charge. Better to be lucky than good.

Staying with IHG & Hyatt programs for number of reasons.

As always, YMMV

Used mine for a club room at the Ritz in Santiago.  Very few miles left, but I’m giving the Starwood Amex one more year. They did a kicker for bonus miles for a certain spend through November, so I started dragging it out of my wallet for things that would typically go unbonused on other cards. 

Back to Barcelona, we enjoyed a stay at Circa 1905 in L’Eixample.  It’s a B&B. Love L’Eixample area, it’s close to the tourists sites, but away from the hoards of tourists and upscale. Restaurant choices are geared to the local community and more authentic. 

On 9/18/2018 at 2:29 AM, BTCRUISES said:

I've searched and scanned and seem to be having trouble finding things. Frustrating for a usually resourceful chick! I hope my questions aren't too frustrating for you - I'm certain I can't be the only brand new cruiser trying to figure it all out.

We fly into Barcelona the day before we sail. We arrive early in the morning and are looking for a hotel for the night. We were surprised that Oceania can't help with finding accommodations but we understand we are last minute bookers and that service is only offered when at least 60 days out. So I'm looking (and a little frantic.)

My first question is this... once I find/book a hotel, do we just take a taxi from the airport and leave our luggage with the hotel until check-in while we check out the city? And then in the morning do we just take a taxi to the pier? And if so, which pier is it? Do drivers know which one to take us to for the Oceania Riviera?

Same thing in Athens 10 days later... I'm looking for a hotel. Assume we get off the ship then taxi to the hotel (I will find one!) drop our luggage and see the city... Taxi to the airport in the morning for 6am flight!!?

Is there a better transportation option to/from airport or hotel or pier?

Hotel recommendations would be really appreciated too.

Thanks so much. We are looking soooooooooooo forward to this getaway!!

Taxis are plentiful outside the terminal.

you could pre book a private car transfer.

my recommendation is the aerobus which is right outside the terminal which takes you to Pl Catalunya which is at the the top of Las Ramblas, for approx €5.10 single journey. Your suitcases will be loaded onto the bus. The buses are frequent and clean. If you book a hotel on Las Ramblas or near Pl Catalunya you can just walk to your hotel. 

We’ve stayed in Arc la Rambla which I can recommend but book a Las Ramblas view room for atmosphere. There are loads of places to eat nearby from tapas bars to Italian to Chinese restaurants. It’s nearer the bottom end of Las Ramblas so if your fit you can push your suitcases to the port bus. I know someone who’s stayed in Oriente Atiram hotel and liked it. It’s also on Las Ramblas.

if you book a hotel at the top of Las Ramblas or Pl Catalunya you can hop on the metro for one or two stops to the bottom of Las Ramblas the walk to catch the port bus. 

Sorry i I cannot help with Athens as we just disembarked ship onto ships bus to airport. 

Hope this helps. 

Edited by Issyalex