Why do you cruise?

dcruiser50

I maybe described as a "lazy" traveler. I like having my hotel move with me and meals available where I just have to show up and enjoy.

I like being at sea and disconnected from my daily routine. Regardless of how interesting a port of call maybe, it is comforting to reboard

the ship which is home away from home.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/18/2018 at 2:54 PM, SoCalTraveler said:

1.  Bring Euros with you for incidentals between landing at the airport and the cruise.   (Taxis, snacks, etc.)  The best rates here will be at big banks, but those rates are still not great.  We bring $100-$200 in Euros.  I use B of A, which has comparable rates to Wells Fargo.  I have easy access to a money changer who will, reluctantly, match B of A.  Check on line with B of A for the exchange rate.  You can also go to a number of sites such as XE.Com for the rate if you are buying $100,000 worth of Euros.  That's the approximate rate, plus a conversion fee, your credit card company will use plus a conversion fee.  Our experience is the $100,000 rate, plus the conversion fee, is still a better deal than buying Euros here.

2.  Charge everything you can to a no-foreign-transaction-fee card.  If presented with a choice by the merchant choose the local currency as your bank's conversion rate will be the best.  Make sure you have notified your credit and debit card issuer.  If at all possible, use a different card from the one your cruise charges post to.  Princess will tell your credit card issuer that you are in Santa Clarita, CA.  RCCL will tell them you are in Miami.  It confuses the computers and generates warnings.  If your credit card company calls you, you won't get back to them fast enough.

3.  If you need Euros in Europe, get them from an ATM.  Make sure you have a 4 digit PIN; some European ATM's will not accept a longer PIN.  Some banks (and perhaps Schwab) will rebate fees.  Bank of America has a no-fee network.  See this link:  https://locators.bankofamerica.com/international.html   We have found that B of A, even where the list geographically limits the bank, there were no fees regardless of the country for participating banks.   So, for example, we got Euros at a BNP Paribas branch in Venice without fee.

Here's what B of A says:  (And I believe First Republic is affiliated with B of A.)

Traveling Internationally?

Use your Bank of America ATM or debit card at one of our International partner ATMs and avoid the non-Bank of America ATM $5 usage fee for each withdrawal, transfer or balance inquiryFootnote1 as well as the ATM operator access fee.

• Barclays United Kingdom (England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Jersey, Guernsey and the Channel Islands)
  • BNP Paribas (France)
  • BNL D'Italia (Italy)
  • Deutsche Bank (Germany and Spain)
  • UkrSibbank (Ukraine)
  • TEB (Turkey)
  • Scotiabank (Canada, Mexico, Peru, Chile, and the Caribbean countries: Anguilla, Antigua & Barbuda, The Bahamas, Barbados, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Grenada, Jamaica, St. Maarten, Puerto Rico, Saint Kitts & Nevis, Saint Lucia, St. Vincent & The Grenadines, Trinidad & Tobago, Turks & Caicos Islands, and US Virgin Islands)
  • Westpac Bank (Australia and New Zealand)
  • China Construction Bank (Mainland China, excluding Hong Kong)

Bank of America will assess an international transaction fee of 3% of the converted US dollar amount.Footnote2 Foreign ATM operators may offer to do your currency conversion for you, but they may charge a higher fee for conversion. To insure that your currency conversion does not incur a fee higher than 3%, you may refuse the ATM operator's offer to convert the amount of the transaction.

Note: Participation in this program is subject to change, please review participating Financial Institutions prior to traveling internationally and using International Partner ATMs.

On 9/22/2018 at 6:37 PM, beautifullady said:

For me, walking up that good ole ramp to start my vaca! Looking at and hearing the ocean. Looking at the sky and water(day and night)thinking about genesis when GOD began forming the world!! Meeting friendly passengers and crew from different cultures. Not having to clean cook or work. People watching, entertainment, being in the thermal spa while sailing at the same time, and MOST OF ALL, being on a vacation PERIOD!!

On 9/23/2018 at 6:44 AM, momofmab said:

As a mom, and the vacation planner for my family, it is the easiest vacation option for me. As others have said, planning a land vacation is stressful - having to find a place (or places) to stay that make everyone happy, researching restaurants and activities...by the time I'm finished, it's hard for me to enjoy the vacation and completely relax. On a cruise everything is there - you unpack once and pick from a list of pre-determined activities and existing dining options. There's something for everyone.

That said, we don't cruise every year - we do alternate with land vacations (here in the U.S. because I want my children to see their own country, outside of our state), but cruising is the most relaxing for ME.

I will say that I am awesome at planning our land vacations - my favorite to date was a leisurely jaunt from Seattle to San Francisco along the PCH (breathtakingly beautiful scenery - especially along the Oregon coast!)

Land vacations are too stressful for us.  Getting to the resort, taxis, weather issues. What do you do at a resort when it rains?  Watch General Hospital in your room?   On a cruise ship, whether at sea or at a port, there are tons of stuff to do. Our next cruise is in four days.   It was a free cruise so can’t complain but it only has two sea days out of twelve.   Would perfer two port days and 10 sea days.  

At age 70, getting to and from resorts is a hassle.  We are fortunately in a position to do two 12 night + cruises a year.  More than most, less than many. 

Edited by PoppyandNana
  • Like 1