Question on Specialty Dining

TAD2005

As a 4-star mariner, we get a 50% discount on Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind, Rudi's, or Canaletto and their fixed price fees. On the menus, for example, Pinnacle Grill, there are extra cost items, like the 12 oz lobster tail and the President's cut steak, which costs an extra $59, on top of the $35.

My question is if the 50% discount applies to the whole check, including any extra items, or only the $35 fee.

Would my total cost for Pinnacle Grill be $17.50 + $29.50 for the President's cut steak, or would my cost be $17.50 + $59.00 for the same steak. Do they discount the whole check or just the base entry fee ?

You will also get 50% discount on Sel de Mer (a la carte) and Culinary Arts Center (a la carte) as well as 50% on speciality coffees in Exploration cafe and in MDR after dinner coffees, liquers etc. So it makes no sense for them not to be giving the 50% discount on the extra cost items in Pinnacle grill etc.

Well, that's my logic!

50% discount on specialty restaurant surcharges

This is what is stated on the HAL website. I just wonder which part of the 'extra charge' for lobster etc is not a surcharge.

It doesn't make any sense, but its their party and their rules.

I agree with Jacqui and KK, and also, just in case you have the extra cost items in the MDR (as we did in Alaska), they are not discounted either.

Hal charges extra for some items in the main dining room? Never heard of such a thing. What would be so special that's worth an extra charge?

Update: I just read on the

New to Holland, would appreciate input

thread that some items on the room service menus are an extra charge too (?)

Edited by KruisingKaren

Hal charges extra for some items in the main dining room? Never heard of such a thing. What would be so special that's worth an extra charge?

It was evidently something that was being tried on Alaska cruises this year. Crew News mentioned it in his blog from Zaandam, and we had the same thing on MDR menus when we were on Zaandam. For an extra $25, you could have a special Alaska menu, a special soup (bisque?), crab cakes, and King crab legs, I think it was. It was in the dinner menu every day except gala nights, but our steward said we could order it those nights, too, if we wanted. We never found the need for it! :eek:

Update: I just read on the

New to Holland, would appreciate input

thread that some items on the room service menus are an extra charge too (?)

I was referencing the surcharge items in the specialty dining, not the MDR.

To date I haven't experienced surcharge items in the MDR but others have reported it. It's optional, not required and sounds very similar to a PG menu to me.