July 2019 - what ship is the best for us?

Understandable. We’ve sailed Oasis-class 3 times and Anthem once so going back to the “smaller” Liberty might seem a bit underwhelming. (No park café or dog house or Solarium Bistro for breakfast? And fewer bars/clubs?) At least we will have access to the Viking Crown lounge! :D

But we are taking my DD who lives in Texas and it’ll be her first cruise. So it’ll be perfect for her. Plus it’s a sentimental favorite for the DW and I. We took our first cruise on LOS

Having said that, is anyone in your group cruising for the first time? Or never cruised on Oasis class? Allure might fit the bill.

Nope. All 4 have cruised several times and on all the Oasis Class. Allure was fantastic. I just worry that I will miss the slides and a few of SY's new eateries.

Once you’ve sailed the newest and best, it’s going to be tough.

I know you said you’re not a fan of Anthem. But what about her did you not like? I only took one cruise on Anthem and for the first few days also felt a bit of a let-down. I think it had to do with the fact that we just thought each new class of ships would build upon the prior class, i.e. Voyager to Freedom to Oasis and the Quantum class is so different. When we first got on Anthem with the mini-Royal Promenade, no cantilevered whirlpools, no Central Park nor Rising Tide bar or no dedicated comedy club we were a bit bummed.

But by the end, she kind of grew on us. The 270-lounge is amazing (weird shows tho), spent more time in the Seaplex than anticipated, pool tables in the Music Hall and you can buy food in the English Pub!

Might be worth another shot on her or one of the sister ships.

Once you’ve sailed the newest and best, it’s going to be tough.

I know you said you’re not a fan of Anthem. But what about her did you not like? I only took one cruise on Anthem and for the first few days also felt a bit of a let-down. I think it had to do with the fact that we just thought each new class of ships would build upon the prior class, i.e. Voyager to Freedom to Oasis and the Quantum class is so different. When we first got on Anthem with the mini-Royal Promenade, no cantilevered whirlpools, no Central Park nor Rising Tide bar or no dedicated comedy club we were a bit bummed.

But by the end, she kind of grew on us. The 270-lounge is amazing (weird shows tho), spent more time in the Seaplex than anticipated, pool tables in the Music Hall and you can buy food in the English Pub!

Might be worth another shot on her or one of the sister ships.

I'm the opposite. I knew what to expect when I boarded Anthem and actually really enjoyed her for the first couple of days getting to see the new features.

Once the honeymoon of that cruise was over though, I became a bit frustrated with the layout (that Esplanade is awful) and I felt bored with many of the activities being reservation only and the SeaPlex being multi-use. Just didn't like the layout. Also a lot of creaking. In addition, Anthem's crew was not very friendly in comparison to Allure the year before.

With that being said, Anthem will probably be back in Southampton in 2020 and if she offers a short cruise compatible with my availability, then I may give her another shot then.

Who's graduation are you celebrating? Make them decide.

Or, to really go outside the box, go on a smaller ship. Like you, we favor the bigger ships and 7 of 8 cruises have been Liberty or bigger. However, we did a cruise on Serenade that ranks among our favorites. The reason was the people we met. We were seated with 4 other couples (traditional dining) and the 10 of us hit it off like we had been best friends since childhood.

Of course, we had 5 island days in a row and only 1 at sea day so the ship itself didn't matter as much. And its' always a crap-shoot as to who you'll be sitting with. But if you find a port-intensive itinerary you like, give it a shot.

I'd have no issues doing a Radiance-class again.

Who's graduation are you celebrating? Make them decide.

Or, to really go outside the box, go on a smaller ship. Like you, we favor the bigger ships and 7 of 8 cruises have been Liberty or bigger. However, we did a cruise on Serenade that ranks among our favorites. The reason was the people we met. We were seated with 4 other couples (traditional dining) and the 10 of us hit it off like we had been best friends since childhood.

Of course, we had 5 island days in a row and only 1 at sea day so the ship itself didn't matter as much. And its' always a crap-shoot as to who you'll be sitting with. But if you find a port-intensive itinerary you like, give it a shot.

I'd have no issues doing a Radiance-class again.

It is me who is graduating. That's why I am asking. The last few years, we've been able to coast along by just picking all of the Oasis Class and giving Quantum Class a try. This is the first time in a while that I have had to be creative in choosing something.

Sailed Serenade in 2013 but that was a very boring cruise. Nothing to do on her. Radiance Class have the worst pool decks as well. Would secretly like to sail a Vision Class again before they get sold off, but would rather do that solo than with a group as they need things to do.

I'm the opposite. I knew what to expect when I boarded Anthem and actually really enjoyed her for the first couple of days getting to see the new features.

Once the honeymoon of that cruise was over though, I became a bit frustrated with the layout (that Esplanade is awful) and I felt bored with many of the activities being reservation only and the SeaPlex being multi-use.

I've never sailed Oasis class but I thought many activities had to be reserved - am I incorrect?

Once the honeymoon of that cruise was over though, I became a bit frustrated with the layout (that Esplanade is awful) and I felt bored with many of the activities being reservation only and the SeaPlex being multi-use.

I've never sailed Oasis class but I thought many activities had to be reserved - am I incorrect?

Not really. Usually spaces at shows. Less so with North Star.

I got the perfect cruise for you – Alaska.

Ok, so It’s on the Radiance BUT every day is a port day so there will be something to keep the group entertained. At that point, it’s more about the itinerary and the ship becomes nothing more than a hotel/restaurant. It was refurbished 2 years ago including the pool deck, although not sure how much you’ll be using the pool in Alaska.

And bonus: You are already on the left coast of USA.

There is also an Ovation should you want to try Q-class again and prefer round-trip. It hits on most of the check-marks.

Heck – I might book myself an Alaskan cruise now.

I got the perfect cruise for you – Alaska.

Ok, so It’s on the Radiance BUT every day is a port day so there will be something to keep the group entertained. At that point, it’s more about the itinerary and the ship becomes nothing more than a hotel/restaurant. It was refurbished 2 years ago including the pool deck, although not sure how much you’ll be using the pool in Alaska.

And bonus: You are already on the left coast of USA.

There is also an Ovation should you want to try Q-class again and prefer round-trip. It hits on most of the check-marks.

Heck – I might book myself an Alaskan cruise now.

I've just checked the prices and Alaska is too expensive. Can get on SY for less than Ovation.

I wouldn't worry about being gay and going out of Texas. It is a conservative state, but we've sailed on the Liberty this past January and noticed nothing different culture wise. People come from far and wide to fill the ship.

Having said that, and we loved the Liberty, I just don't care for the itineraries but I'm much more of an Eastern or Southern Caribbean cruiser.

The Freedom class is our favorite, especially now with some of the great prices you can get with that class. Still tons to do and it's easier to get around the ship and less crowded feeling IMO.

I would say it is worth checking out the Equinox. It is modern, not stuffy or quiet. Food and service was a small tick up from RCI. They have some great summer itineraries and the ship is very nice. I will say though, by day 6 and 7 I was looking for something new to do (without success) to spend my time on that ship. Never had that on Freedom, Voyager, or Oasis class.

Dan

I've just checked the prices and Alaska is too expensive. Can get on SY for less than Ovation.

As a recent graduate, won't you have plenty of bank to spend? ;)

In all seriousness, since we all have access to the same information, I don't think anyone is going to find something that you haven't already thought of. Knowing your preferences but not know the dynamics of your group, I would say pick a port intensive itinerary with plenty to do and where the ship won't matter as much. Pick an area of the world you haven't been to. Also, depending on how you feel about cruising with children, I would think the Caribbean cruises in late June/July would have plenty of kids. Not sure if that is a deterrent of not.

Let us know what you eventually decide on. Good luck! (yn)

From what i'm sensing, you seem to enjoy the more "modern" Royal Caribbean ships. The one issue I have with the Oasis Class, is their itineraries are very stock and ordinary. They seem to have 2 routes, and alternate. Its why I have not gotten to cruise on an Oasis class but we've broken down and have one booked next year on the Allure.

That being said, I think you would also enjoy the Voyager class. They are smaller, but still have the bells and whistles of the newer ships. A promenade through the center of the ship, flowriders and such.

Also, I would aim towards Florida as a departure port. I have found that Florida has the most diverse passenger base out of the US ports we've embarked out of. I suspect the reason is that more people fly to Florida to cruise vs. the other ports where you would have a larger local population sailing.

You also mentioned a LGBT angle, and well, personal bias, I found Baltimore to be very accommodating. One cruise, we have a large LGBT group onboard. During one of the formal nights, they decided to up the game further and make it a formal masquerade theme for themselves. So in addition to the formal wear, they were decked out additionally with cloaks and masks. It was amazing. The Grandeur is currently in Baltimore now, but that's one of the oldest ships in the fleet but stands as one of the best cruises out of my 19 cruises. Actually, #1 and #2 are both out of Baltimore (yes, both ships that call Baltimore home have hit the top spots as best cruise for me).

From what i'm sensing, you seem to enjoy the more "modern" Royal Caribbean ships. The one issue I have with the Oasis Class, is their itineraries are very stock and ordinary. They seem to have 2 routes, and alternate. Its why I have not gotten to cruise on an Oasis class but we've broken down and have one booked next year on the Allure.

That being said, I think you would also enjoy the Voyager class. They are smaller, but still have the bells and whistles of the newer ships. A promenade through the center of the ship, flowriders and such.

Also, I would aim towards Florida as a departure port. I have found that Florida has the most diverse passenger base out of the US ports we've embarked out of. I suspect the reason is that more people fly to Florida to cruise vs. the other ports where you would have a larger local population sailing.

You also mentioned a LGBT angle, and well, personal bias, I found Baltimore to be very accommodating. One cruise, we have a large LGBT group onboard. During one of the formal nights, they decided to up the game further and make it a formal masquerade theme for themselves. So in addition to the formal wear, they were decked out additionally with cloaks and masks. It was amazing. The Grandeur is currently in Baltimore now, but that's one of the oldest ships in the fleet but stands as one of the best cruises out of my 19 cruises. Actually, #1 and #2 are both out of Baltimore (yes, both ships that call Baltimore home have hit the top spots as best cruise for me).

I sailed out of Baltimore way back when the Enchantment was homeported there. I think that the area and people are nice, however as it is Vision Class and usually longer cruises, it seems that GR (and EN before that) attract an older clientele and the younger folks from the area head up to Bayonne for the Anthem (and AD now as well).

For Voyager Class, I sailed Explorer of the Seas back in her Bayonne day and had a blast. However, stepping down from Oasis Class, going to the Freedom Class would be better as it is still a longer ship and will just feel that bit bigger.

I love the Oasis class, but also like the Radiance class :). A little smaller, but lots of things to do!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I couldn't agree less. I had absolutely nothing to do on Serenade during the day other than sit at the crowded pool (it was insane, even EN had a less crowded pool deck) or wander aimlessly around the ship, which got dull quickly. Lack of evening entertainment as there wasn't an Ice Rink and the Cruise Director was weak.

Admittedly I was underage for many things then and didn't participate in the organised Teen activities.

Should I do Oasis Class again? By the end of each sailing on them, I say I am ready for a change of class, and I suppose I have seen all 4 of them, but they are the ships that excite me the most. Jury is still out on Liberty.

If only a new ship was being launched between now and 2021.

Should I do Oasis Class again? By the end of each sailing on them, I say I am ready for a change of class, and I suppose I have seen all 4 of them, but they are the ships that excite me the most. Jury is still out on Liberty.

If only a new ship was being launched between now and 2021.

It sounds to me like you will be disappointed on a non-Oasis class ship.

It sounds to me like you will be disappointed on a non-Oasis class ship.

Sadly, I do think you might be right. Unless it is Independence as that has been revamped. Her sisters will probably feel old and a lack of WOW factor in comparison to my last 5 ships.

Just frustrating as that would limit me to 4 or maybe 5 ships.