Amex Offer + Taking Carnival Insurance VS paying on 2 bookings

LMaxwell

Hi - I have a $150 off $750 on Amex I would like to use. Looking at some last minute weekend getaways and they come out to around $600 with taxes and fees. If I add carnivals travel protection does it get billed in a similar manner as the booking so as to count towards triggering the Amex refund?

My other alternative is to make the new booking for arounf $600 and pay $150 more on an additional booking; would that trigger the Amex reward? I've made multiple payments over time on a SINGLE booking to trigger rewards, but not across multiple bookings.

Don't know how the insurance is billed because I find it worthless compared to 3rd party insurance and don't get it. But if you have spread it across one booking with multiple transactions, I don't see whey it wouldn't work across 2. It's not like any booking number is associated with it so I'm thinking it will be fine to do it like that.

Excludes if not booked at time of reservation: airfare booked through cruise line, excursions, Prepaid food/beverage programs, prepaid gratuities, prepaid wi-fi packages, spa packages, photo & video packages, onboard celebrations, luggage valet services, Travel Insurance, Vacation Protection, motorcoach program, charters, meetings and incentive bookings.

So definite maybe. Gratuities also. Maybe Cheers if you can pay for with the booking. Splitting between cruises would be two transactions. I don't see anything that says yes or no.

I just researched this because I booked a cheap cruise. The only thing that could be added at time of reservation was gratuities. Shore excursion, fun shops, anything else, gets invoiced separately and Amex won't accept it.

I used a previous amex offer of $100 on $500 Carnival purchase. I added gratuities and travel protection to the balance due on our cruise which just squeeked the total due over $500. I paid it off and got the $100 promptly. I don't know about the multiple cruise issue.