What's The Problem With the Meraviglia

April42749

So happy to find this thread as we are also considering the Meraviglia, although for our first European cruise.  Although I am coming up on 50 cruises on a number of different lines, I have only one MSC cruise on my resume.  Well, I absolutely loved the Seaside, in spite of the lousy reviews prior to our sailing.  We were actually Bella, and still had a great experience.  

Probably my favorite part was the Spa.  Can anyone compare the Spa on Meraviglia to the one on Seaside?   If they are similar, I will probably pull the trigger on the Meraviglia tomorrow.  

Edited by dznymom
repeatedly spelled Meraviglia incorrectly- duh

3 hours ago, HLR said:

I totally intend to book the thermal spa! But still waiting a response on this "$5 more for a massage" mentioned in message #18 here.

I can't say what April42749 was referencing.  What I have seen is in the past on ships like Divina, with a quite smaller spa, it was common for the cruise length thermal pass to be only about five dollars cheaper than the basic Balinese massage which also included a thermal pass for the cruise.  That hasn't existed for over a year now.  I've never seen anything like it on the newer ships with the large thermal areas.  Most massages now only come with a day pass to the thermal area, some with nothing else.  The only exception I know of being the "Relaxing Touch" 30 min Bali massage package which usually comes with the full cruise thermal pass, but it usually costs about $60 more than the thermal pass alone.

On 10/19/2018 at 2:41 AM, HLR said:

Hi Shane And Macon!

Where are you seeing this add a massage for $5 more deal? I see the Thermal Spa Pass for $195 for the 10 day cruise Cct 8 2019...but nothing adding to it...hmmm...

HLR

HLR,

I am also a bit confused about the comment from April about the $5 more deal for a massage. I wish I could elaborate to appease an answer for you. Should you have any further questions please feel free to ask away! 

As for $195 for a 10 day cruise, that is a fabulous price and you most definitely will not be disappointed in the relaxing atmosphere that the Thermal Spa will provide you in your travels.

-Shane and Macon

7 hours ago, stp_mmh5 said:

HLR,

I am also a bit confused about the comment from April about the $5 more deal for a massage. I wish I could elaborate to appease an answer for you. Should you have any further questions please feel free to ask away! 

As for $195 for a 10 day cruise, that is a fabulous price and you most definitely will not be disappointed in the relaxing atmosphere that the Thermal Spa will provide you in your travels.

-Shane and Macon

Sorry! I was quoting the wrong person! Thanks for replying!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi my brother and I will cruising in March and yes I read some terrible reviews on food, just about anything, but I have since read that MSC is aware of that they have dropped the ball in a lot of areas and apparently have addressed the numerous areas of complaints, especially the food.

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning! My husband and I are the 10/08/19 cruise.  We are so looking forward to it.  We have never been on MSC and have lots of questions and would like to ask a few now.  Are reservations required for Cirque shows and is there a charge for the show? What about other shows?

Does anyone have any menus to post?  I have searched and couldn't find any.

Are there formal nights and does anyone know dress code? ( For men is dress shirt and tie OK) 

We have been to Quebec City (beautiful) but not any of the other ports.  I'm sure I will have other questions later :classic_smile:.  Thanks!

32 minutes ago, jimbri said:

Good morning! My husband and I are the 10/08/19 cruise.  We are so looking forward to it.  We have never been on MSC and have lots of questions and would like to ask a few now.  Are reservations required for Cirque shows and is there a charge for the show? What about other shows?

Are there formal nights and does anyone know dress code? ( For men is dress shirt and tie OK) 

We have been to Quebec City (beautiful) but not any of the other ports.  I'm sure I will have other questions later :classic_smile:.  Thanks!

Cirque is chargeable, either for a cocktail and the show or a meal and the show. Its cheaper to book online in advance. When you get on board you need to go to the cirque box office as soon as it opens to get allocated a day and time for the show. The other shows in the theatre are free

47 minutes ago, jimbri said:

Shirt and tie will be more than enough.  We had one formal night on our last cruise (there may be 3 on yours as a 10 night cruise).  A lot of men wore jackets on formal night; there were only one or two tuxes to be seen.

The menus will more than likely be different once Meraviglia starts sailing from New York.  I'd check out menus from Miami-based ships for an idea of what to expect.

Hello!

I too am on the October 8th 2019 cruise. When reading the "bad" reviews....it is mostly people complaining about two things: The other passengers and small portions in the dinning room.

Obviously the demographic leaving out of NYC is going to be closer to that of your regular sailing out of NYC demographic...right? And certainly not like an Italian cruise line sailing out of Italy...right? I do hope there will be more Europeans aboard!

One reviewer complained that there were only about 1% Americans on their European sailing...then complained that there were announcements in many other languages. Do American lines in America make announcements for the European guests? Or ANY other foreign guests? Not usually.

Americans think the food portions are smaller...well what a surprise! You go to a diner in the US and order a meal and you are given an exorbitant amount of food on your plate and a lot goes in the trash. If you are still hungry order more. This is not rocket science.

I find many of the negative reviews [but not all mind you] are not only off base, but hastily put together and not proof read to boot.

HLR

2 hours ago, SquishTheWhale said:

Cirque is chargeable, either for a cocktail and the show or a meal and the show. Its cheaper to book online in advance. When you get on board you need to go to the cirque box office as soon as it opens to get allocated a day and time for the show. The other shows in the theatre are free

In other posts it has been suggested to get the Cocktail and Show ticket....as you've already paid for your meals in your cruise ticket BUT the seating is better and closer to the stage.

3 minutes ago, HLR said:

Obviously the demographic leaving out of NYC is going to be closer to that of your regular sailing out of NYC demographic...right? And certainly not like an Italian cruise line sailing out of Italy...right? I do hope there will be more Europeans aboard!

Bear in mind that a lot of Europeans who are regular MSC cruisers are looking forward to a new itinerary in this region so will be just as eager to book as Americans looking for an MSC cruise out of New York.

I wrote one of the first reviews on here of the ship as we sailed her first Med sailing from Barcelona at the tail-end of the inaugural.  We're booked to sail on 18th October and doing the 23 nights, ending in Miami.  Really looking forward to sailing on her again.

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

Bear in mind that a lot of Europeans who are regular MSC cruisers are looking forward to a new itinerary in this region so will be just as eager to book as Americans looking for an MSC cruise out of New York.

That's good! The mix should be great!

• Like 1