Ruby princess tips and advice

new2cruise

Cabo— Canada south. It may look a bit like Mexico, but Canada and US residents own the place. 

Mazatlan — not our cup of tea. When I was in college Mazatlan was the party place we went for spring break. Not for us now. Others might differ on this subject. 

PV — first timer... take the trip to downtown, enjoy the Malecon and the rest. 

Ruby is one of the Princess triplets... Emerald and Crown. Very much the same ships. A few differences.   Try the pub lunch, hit the early shows at least 20 minutes prior to show time, if you want seats, Explorers lounge shows are usually the best, but again get there early. 

Unless they have changed the set up for Mazatlan, you tram a short distance from the ship to the "cruise center". The port IS IN THE BAD PART OF TOWN your parents told you to stay away from. DO NOT LEAVE BY FOOT. Taxis drivers may or may not know where you want to go, but will claim they do. Of the three ports, I would suggest organized excursions only.

We are on the Oct 17th Ruby sailing to these ports. Have been to these ports many times.

Cabo....nice beaches to spend the day at. The port area offers restaurants and bars and decent shopping. Later in the year great whale watching.

Mazatlan....Stone Island has nice beach and restaurants and is a good way to spend a relaxing day.  horseback riding is available there too. For a unique cultural experience, walk outside the port area and take a pulmania (open air taxi) to the cathedral (free to visit).  There is a park there also. One block up from the cathedral is the central market. It occupies an entire city block. It was designed by Gustave Eiffel of Eiffel Tower fame. It has great shopping with vendors willing to bargain. It also sells meat, fruits, vegetables, seafood etc. While you might not be interested in buying any, you can see how the locals shop for food.  A block away is the Panama restaurant and bakery. It is clean and modern and a great place for lunch.

Puerto Vallarta....A great place to go to the beach or snorkel.  Walk out of the port area to the main drag and hail a cab. It will be much cheaper than at the port area. Tell the driver what you would like to do and he will know where to take you.  For instance if you want to snorkel, tell him so and he will offer suggestions. Agree on a price before you get in the car. You can  also strange with him for the return trip.  You can stop on the return trip at the Malecon for shopping, lunch, adult beverages.

the above suggestions are safe and a fraction of ship tour prices. 

I strongly disagree with JLP as to Mazatlán.  This is not what your mother warned you about!!

The dock in Mazatlan is in the middle of an industrial port.  You need to take a tram (free) to the cruise terminal, which is filled with tourist stores.  When you fight your way out of the cruise terminal, there is a blue line painted on the sidewalk and streets.  If you follow the blue line, it will take you to downtown.  There are volunteer Tourist Aides (American and Canadian expats and/or snowbirds) who can direct you and answer questions.  I have taken this walk for exercise several times, when I am up early and my wife is sleeping in.  I have never felt uneasy about walking it.  

However, unless you need the exercise, take a golf-cart cab.  In Mazatlán, take the cab to the Cathedral downtown.  Wander around -- see the Church and the Mercado. 

Then, take another golf cart to Zona Dorado -- this is the resort area, with shopping, clubs and restaurants and the beach.  Wander around, have some adult beverages, visit the jewelry stores, ….

Then, take another golf cart back to the ship, with a brief stop to watch the cliff divers.

The cabs are very easy to get -- you have to fight them off!!  Agree upon the price beforehand.  US dollars are accepted.

On 10/18/2018 at 11:37 AM, Mike45LC said:

I strongly disagree with JLP as to Mazatlán.  This is not what your mother warned you about!!

The dock in Mazatlan is in the middle of an industrial port.  You need to take a tram (free) to the cruise terminal, which is filled with tourist stores.  When you fight your way out of the cruise terminal, there is a blue line painted on the sidewalk and streets.  If you follow the blue line, it will take you to downtown.  There are volunteer Tourist Aides (American and Canadian expats and/or snowbirds) who can direct you and answer questions.  I have taken this walk for exercise several times, when I am up early and my wife is sleeping in.  I have never felt uneasy about walking it.  

However, unless you need the exercise, take a golf-cart cab.  In Mazatlán, take the cab to the Cathedral downtown.  Wander around -- see the Church and the Mercado. 

Then, take another golf cart to Zona Dorado -- this is the resort area, with shopping, clubs and restaurants and the beach.  Wander around, have some adult beverages, visit the jewelry stores, ….

Then, take another golf cart back to the ship, with a brief stop to watch the cliff divers.

The cabs are very easy to get -- you have to fight them off!!  Agree upon the price beforehand.  US dollars are accepted.

Totally agree about Matzatlan-Walk the blue line. Absolutely no problem I’ve done it quite a few times all girls. The snowbirds are there to answer any questions you may have .

Julie