Not going?

dolphin lady

I am cruising this Sunday with family and my husband is now to sick to join us...Do I notify NCL before the cruise or do it when we arrive? I prepaid gratiuity, so do I still pay for his even though he's not on the ship? It would of been just the two of us in the cabin.

First of all, I hope your husband is not too ill and has a speedy recovery. It must be so disappointing for the both of you.  Do you have anyone else who can accompany you on the trip, to fill the cabin? Close friend? Relative? Me?

Edited by jpcdds6

You should be refunded for his gratuities also.

If you have insurance, you have to officially cancel.  If not, he can be a no-show.

Not to open a can of worms....if you officially cancel....they might charge you the single fare supplement.  If he's a "no show" they won't...and you'll still get his portion of taxes/port fees and gratuities back.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, April42749 said:

You should be refunded for his gratuities also.

If you have insurance, you have to officially cancel.  If not, he can be a no-show.

Not to open a can of worms....if you officially cancel....they might charge you the single fare supplement.  If he's a "no show" they won't...and you'll still get his portion of taxes/port fees and gratuities back.

The OP is already paying the single supplement fare by paying for her husband, they are not going to charge her anything more.

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

The OP is already paying the single supplement fare by paying for her husband, they are not going to charge her anything more.

Hmmm....I must have been having a "senior moment"...lol.

I was confusing this OP with OPs wanting a refund for the his entire 50%.  My mistake.

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

That may not stop some cruise lines from recalculating the fare and charging the single supplement along with keeping the original fare of the cancelled passenger. It's in most cruise contracts.

10 hours ago, broberts said:

That may not stop some cruise lines from recalculating the fare and charging the single supplement along with keeping the original fare of the cancelled passenger. It's in most cruise contracts.

If I cancel I have a chance of getting a reimbursement from my insurance, but your saying I might have to pay a additional supplement to the cruise line if I do, so now I'm confused on to cancel or a no show. Perhaps my travel agent will no the right answer.

Most people on CC , agree it's just better to do a no show! Whatever fees you have coming from the no show will be reimbursed.

its highly unlikely you will be charged single supplement, you've already paid for 2 people.

1 hour ago, beerman2 said:

Most people on CC , agree it's just better to do a no show! Whatever fees you have coming from the no show will be reimbursed.

its highly unlikely you will be charged single supplement, you've already paid for 2 people.

My insurance says you have to notify the cruise line..I contacted NCL and they could only put him as a no show, I would have to contact my travel agent which I am waiting for a return call. Thank you all for your responses.

1 hour ago, dolphin lady said:

My insurance says you have to notify the cruise line..I contacted NCL and they could only put him as a no show, I would have to contact my travel agent which I am waiting for a return call. Thank you all for your responses.

I notified my travel agent...They contacted NCL and cancelled my husband. She said if I did a no show the insurance would not pay...NCL is going to reimburse the taxes and fees. Now all I have to do is hope my husband has a speedy recovery & the insurance comes through.

As long as he has a letter from a doctor stating that he was not fit to make this trip insurance shouldn't be a problem.  He needs to visit the doctor before the sail date, so if you are leaving tomorrow, go to one today.

Edited by April42749

Oh and since it’s the weekend, you might want to see if your health insurance covers telemedicine. If not, it’s only 50 a visit to dr on demand throgh the camera on your computer.  They can’t help you if it’s anything serious, but they write my kids notes allowing them to go to school and give them medication for pinkeye.  I don’t know if travel insurance would question therir note, but it’s better than nothing.  

Edited by kitkat343

6 hours ago, dolphin lady said:

I notified my travel agent...They contacted NCL and cancelled my husband. She said if I did a no show the insurance would not pay...NCL is going to reimburse the taxes and fees. Now all I have to do is hope my husband has a speedy recovery & the insurance comes through.

I hope he is OK too! As a husband myself, I'm glad you put that first :)