Wedding in port

OCVTSGIRL

Has anybody gotten married at a US port?  My daughter is engaged and we want to take her and her fiance on a cruise and suggested to them perhaps getting married at one of the US ports.  Just wondering if anybody had done this or attended somebody else's wedding.  How do you arrange for this to happen and would you recommend it?  It seems like getting married on the ship is very expensive.  We are thinking of Anthem since we live in NJ.  Not sure when Anthem is leaving Bayonne for dry dock.

I had friends who got married in Port Canaveral before the cruise, then cruised right after the wedding (along with 3/4 of those who attended the wedding).  We had cake and champagne at the wedding site after, then the "reception dinner" was in Chops that first night.

It all depends on what all the couple is looking for in a wedding... big shin-dig with lots of people, or something small and intimate. 

It will be very variable since states set their own laws.  Many states allow anyone to marry someone so you could get the license in your state, fill out the paperwork and you could marry your daughter yourself or anyone else.

Do you want a marriage certificate from the state you will be visiting or the state they live?

Our younger daughter was married on a Carnival ship at the Port of Tampa. Wonderful experience and it was quite affordable, even considering the cost of the cruise for our family. If the couple is willing to hand over the reins, it is a great way to go. There is, or was, a board dedicated to cruise ship weddings here on CC. 

Thanks everybody.  My daughter and her fiance haven't set a date yet or decided on any plans.  They have both been married before so this doesn't need to be a big wedding.  I know I had seen pictures someplace of a couple that got married I think in Bar Harbor so it got me thinking about going on a cruise, which we had already suggested to them, and getting married at one of the U.S. ports.  I didn't know if they would need to get a license in that state or they could get one in ours...NJ.  My husband has already discussed marrying them so that will probably be what will happen.  I will check again On RCCL's website to check the cost of getting married on the ship.

I would definitely get married BEFORE boarding....just remember the bride's name must match her ID's so DO NOT book under here new, married name!

You can never be 100% certain about making ANY port....get married beforehand...and then have a nice honeymoon cruise!

here are the rules for Maine:

Requirements

To obtain a marriage license:

• Photo ID such as a driver's license may be required.
  • If this is not the first marriage for one of you, bring a certified copy (raised seal) of the divorce from or death certificate of the last spouse.
  • Applicants must be over 18 years old. Written parental consent is required for an applicant under 18. Written parental consent and written consent of a judge are required for an applicant under 16.
  • No blood test is required.
  • You may want to check with the municipal clerk where you are filing before-hand to find out what that municipality's policies are.

Officiants

The following individuals are authorized to perform marriages in Maine:

• Ordained ministers of the gospel
  • A person licensed to preach by an association of ministers, religious seminary or ecclesiastical body
  • Judges or justices (residents of Maine only)
  • Lawyers admitted to the Maine Bar (residents of Maine only)
  • Maine Notaries - Search for Maine Notaries by Location or Name

Maine does not have Justices of the Peace. Out-of-state Notaries and Justices of the Peace cannot officiate weddings in Maine.