Christchurch (NZ) sightseeing

V_icki_e

Morning everyone!  I will be cruising to NZ in January and am seeking some honest feedback about the current state of Christchurch.  We've done this cruise before and while we love the port of Akaroa, we are considering getting the Princess shuttle into Christchurch for the day.   I've heard mixed reviews on other forums about the city, specifically about the amount of 'emptiness' there after their devastating earthquakes.  What do you think?   Thank you everyone!  

P.S. - how on earth I haven't discovered Cruise Critic before now is unbelievable!  This place is an absolute goldmine of information ... I could be getting a little addicted 😉 Vickie.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We were in Christchurch this past February.  We did take the shuttle and brought the hop on hop off bus tour with a tour of their Botanical Garden. It was a wonderful day!  The gardens were beautiful!  And the tour was a highlight of our trip. Right next to the gardens is a museum that was interesting and free. We walked back to where the shuttle dropped us off from the garden and stopped for ice cream along the way. If I had a chance to go again I would do this tour again. I really like Christchurch.

• Thanks 1

• 10 months later...

This is an older thread but almost the same question, though this will be our first (probably only) time in NZ.

We'll be in Akaora 8am-6pm in Jan and wonder if we should venture into Christchurch or entertain ourselves closer to the port.  Akaora sounds like a picturesque area with several options of things to see and do. I've searched the board, already have some suggestions, and am seeking some up-to-date opinions on going into Christchurch vs staying in/around Akaora.