Teeming River Cruises

Umbria lover

Hello! My husband and I love transatlantic cruises, but are now considering a European river cruise for 2019. My daughter is leaving for a cruise with Teeming, so I'll have personal feedback from her, but I can't find any information on them here - am I missing something? I like the idea of sightseeing on our own, and saving money, so this line seemed to be a good fit. Any feedback welcome!

It'll be interesting to see how Teeming handles the low water for their upcoming cruises. Their Mainz to Amsterdam cruise is due to start tomorrow on the Johann Strauss and then the ship is scheduled to sail to Budapest on November 4 with a return cruise to Amsterdam on November 19. . They lease the ship, so they won't have the option of ship swaps. 

We'll be sailing with them on March 28 for a cruise around the Netherlands. Lots of time for rain between now and then, and since most of the waterways in the Netherlands are canals, we shouldn't have any problem.

Teeming River cruises is going a different way, with not offering the all-inclusive type of rive cruise holiday that most international lines do now. On my cruise I also bought a package on top of the base fare, with drinks purchased and added onto the grand bill that I received at the end of the cruise. Which consisted of sundries, drinks, mini bar contents consumed, added excursions bought onboard, etc. Germans lines did it like this, some still do to some extent.

fuelscience,

I will track the Johann Strauss tomorrow. Her former name before renovation is The Sound of Music. She is 110m long, so has a chance of getting through the Rhine gorge sooner than others.

notamermaid

• Like 1

On 10/28/2018 at 9:30 PM, Coral said:

I have never heard of them either. Please ask your daughter to write a review when she returns.

Unfortunately no one can review Teeming on CC because they're not one of the listed cruise lines! Kind of a catch-22!

Outfits like Teeming make it hard for Cruise Critic. They lease ships, so the three ships they currently use, the MS Johann Strauss, the Royal Crown, and the Royal Emerald, are all sailed by other companies as well. CC could create review pages for the ships, but the reviews would be mixed with review for the same ships being operated by other lines.

They do occasionally do this. For example, you can review the Douro Serenity, which is owned and operated by Douro Azul, but hosts cruises sold by Vantage and Riviera.

On 10/29/2018 at 9:51 AM, notamermaid said:

fuelscience,

I will track the Johann Strauss tomorrow. Her former name before renovation is The Sound of Music. She is 110m long, so has a chance of getting through the Rhine gorge sooner than others.

notamermaid

Mermaid, it looks like the Johann Strauss made it from Mainz to Boppard. They should be leaving Boppard for Koblenz any minute now (14:00).

50 minutes ago, FuelScience said:

Mermaid, it looks like the Johann Strauss made it from Mainz to Boppard. They should be leaving Boppard for Koblenz any minute now (14:00).

Thank you FuelScience,

I have spotted here in Boppard through some "sideways" tracking on marinetraffic. Boppard is bad with the signal but I found here as being in the vicinity of another ship and she popped up as being docked at Boppard. It is nice to read that she is on schedule, a stressful time I am sure it is for a small company even more so than for a large corporation.

41 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

The 110m ships are still making it through the gorge today, I've not seen any of the 135m cruise ships passing through yet today though...

That is exactly the problem is figured we have with the sketchy signal that we can miss some boats. I am not saying it is necessarily the 135m ships but them all disappearing between Eltville (just before Rüdesheim) and not reappearing before Spay the picture gets a bit skewed. I saw this especially with the S.S.Antoinette which I found in the docking plan for Rüdesheim today. She was due to leave at 1.30pm so has docked overnight there. Boppard was on the itinerary and if she is sticking to what I remember she will dock there for a few hours. Will need to see if turns out to be true.

I have done a little digging and found the Johann Strauss to be owned by a Basel-based investment company: http://www.debinnenvaart.nl/schip_detail/8399/

Although here the new ownership is marked with a question mark, in Rüdesheim she is registered under that said owner while docking. Teeming's other ship the MS Royal Emerald is listed on their website as being owned by that Swiss company as well. The Royal Crown, a most splendid ship if she still looks similar to what she did when I saw her five years ago, has been through an unhappy insolvency of her former owner and is now looked after by a Dutch company.

notamermaid

4 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

I saw this especially with the S.S.Antoinette which I found in the docking plan for Rüdesheim today. She was due to leave at 1.30pm so has docked overnight there. Boppard was on the itinerary and if she is sticking to what I remember she will dock there for a few hours. Will need to see if turns out to be true.

Good to know and yes it is difficult to track them if they pause mid-gorge, but so far today, she is the only larger cruise ship that has entered the gorge from either end as far as I can see.

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

I have done a little digging and found the Johann Strauss to be owned by a Basel-based investment company: http://www.debinnenvaart.nl/schip_detail/8399/

Although here the new ownership is marked with a question mark, in Rüdesheim she is registered under that said owner while docking. Teeming's other ship the MS Royal Emerald is listed on their website as being owned by that Swiss company as well. The Royal Crown, a most splendid ship if she still looks similar to what she did when I saw her five years ago, has been through an unhappy insolvency of her former owner and is now looked after by a Dutch company.

notamermaid

I think that all three of the ships Teeming uses are owned by De Binnenvaart. The Royal Crown used to be the River Cloud. The Johann Strauss was the Sound of Music,. The Royal Emerald was the Scenic Emerald.

It's interesting that the former Panorama Suites on the Scenic Emerald are no longer there, or if they are, they've been significantly altered. They suffered from severe vibration problems, and Noble Caledonia no longer lists them on their web site. The photos below from Marine Traffic show the suites with balconies before the alterations and how they look now.

Emerald Old 4.jpg

New Emerald 3.jpg

Sorry, my post was not clear. The link is to the binnenvart database. The ship owner's website I did not look up. Interesting that they have blocked the suite balconies. Difficult to make out, but they former suites seem to contain furniture. I wonder if they have been given over for use by the crew.

I like their itineraries. Being used to the idea of base cruise and additional packages I am enclined to give the company a try. Alas, two big things always get in the way: lack of money and time.

notamermaid

22 hours ago, FuelScience said:

Outfits like Teeming make it hard for Cruise Critic. They lease ships, so the three ships they currently use, the MS Johann Strauss, the Royal Crown, and the Royal Emerald, are all sailed by other companies as well. CC could create review pages for the ships, but the reviews would be mixed with review for the same ships being operated by other lines.

They do occasionally do this. For example, you can review the Douro Serenity, which is owned and operated by Douro Azul, but hosts cruises sold by Vantage and Riviera.

Though - this is similar to what some lines do in Russia. The ship I was on was used by multiple lines through out the years.