stamping passports

serene56

Serene: If you are a US citizen, and since the USVI is part of the US, I don't think you can get a stamp. Kinda like getting a stamp for going to Kansas. 😉 Even if you take an excursion to the BVI (where they WILL stamp your passport), US C&I only scan them coming back to St Thomas. 

Here’’s an odd story on passport stamping: last summer, our Alaska cruise stopped in Haines.  We drove all the way to Canada just to get our passports stamped.  When we got to the border, the Canadian border patrol didn’t want to stamp them because we are US citizens, but we pleaded and begged.  Drove about 15 more minutes, then turned around and headed back.  At the US crossing, the US agent checked our passports.  He saw the Canadian stamps and got really agitated.  Wanted to know how we got them and demanded the name of the Canadian agent.  We got quite flustered.  He “let us go” but intimated that somehow we had broken the law and not  do that again.

So next time we drive to Canada (never) we shan’t get our passports stamped.  😂

Edited by 1964IceCreamLady
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I've heard that if you look for (and can find) the customs office that most locations are happy to amuse the tourists with a stamp even if it's not required!  I hope so and since I've had the passport for 7 years now with ZERO stamps, I'm gonna ask at every port in which we  stop (yes, even San Juan and St Thomas!)  So now that I'm stopping in a few small countries in quick succession hopefully I can remedy that. =D 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/30/2019 at 9:12 PM, Coolcruise02 said:

Did you get your passport stamped?

Passport stamps are my favorite souvenir!!

I'll share a couple pics of the ones I got this month.

enhance (13) - Copy.jpg

enhance (14).jpg

YAY!! I love this!  only 7 more months till our cruise and I'm just itching to go!

On 1/6/2019 at 4:29 AM, Angeltyker26 said:

I've heard that if you look for (and can find) the customs office that most locations are happy to amuse the tourists with a stamp even if it's not required!  I hope so and since I've had the passport for 7 years now with ZERO stamps, I'm gonna ask at every port in which we  stop (yes, even San Juan and St Thomas!)  So now that I'm stopping in a few small countries in quick succession hopefully I can remedy that. =D 

I had the opposite problem on my first cruise, as I came from Ireland I had to get a US stamp on arrival.. all ok, but every time my passport was checked afterwards the poor border agent was stuck trying to find the right stamp for that particular trip. I used to travel to the states once or twice a year for my old job so there were a lot of US stamps all identical except for the date. Eventually I took pity on them and told them the stamp was on the same page as a (red ink) Costa Rica one. I renewed my passport last year so it’s much easier now. I’ve had stamps or full-on visas from about 12 different countries over the years, some from countries now in the EU but weren’t when I went to them.