St. Thomas & Getting Around

sh2738

Hi there. I am cruising on the Symphony which I am thinking might be going into Crown Bay, but please correct me if I'm wrong. We've been here before so just thinking about wandering about Charlotte Amallie and shopping/dining, etc. But the port appears to be a good distance away from the main town. 

So I am looking for advice on the best and safest way to get to the main town and back to the ship. I know that there are taxis but I am very wary of doing this in a strange town as we are two young women traveling alone. 

Does anyone know if RCL runs their own bus or something? Or what way do you think is the absolute safest way to get from port to town? Or should we just stick an excursion or staying close to the dock?

Thanks for the help 🙂

9 minutes ago, sh2738 said:

Hi there. I am cruising on the Symphony which I am thinking might be going into Crown Bay, but please correct me if I'm wrong. We've been here before so just thinking about wandering about Charlotte Amallie and shopping/dining, etc. But the port appears to be a good distance away from the main town. 

So I am looking for advice on the best and safest way to get to the main town and back to the ship. I know that there are taxis but I am very wary of doing this in a strange town as we are two young women traveling alone. 

Does anyone know if RCL runs their own bus or something? Or what way do you think is the absolute safest way to get from port to town? Or should we just stick an excursion or staying close to the dock?

Thanks for the help 🙂

You will be docking at Crown Bay. RC does not have a shuttle service. Local taxis and shuttles are safe, plentiful and reasonably priced to Charlotte Amalie.  

Edited by davekathy

St.Thomas is a US Territory. As always, during travel, if you feel unsafe, don't do it. But St. Thomas is an extension of the United  States, and a territory with a livelihood that depends on mainland tourism, the cabs and buses are generally safe. It would be like taking a cab or bus anywhere else. 

Edited by Coralc

Lived on St Thomas for a couple of years and have visited by ship many times since.  The 'Safari Taxi' is a shared taxi service.  Pickup truck with bench seating in the back.  You'll be sharing it with many guests from the ship so it's a cheap and easy way to get around including to Megans Bay Beach if you so choose.  They'll be lined up near the ship, just ask any of the drivers standing around trying to fill their taxi if they go to where you want to go.  

If you take one to Megans Bay ask the driver to stop at Drake's seat for a nice view overlooking Megans Bay before heading down the hill into the beach.  

There are dedicated taxis as well but those cost more.  Safari taxis are easy and cheap.

From Crown Bay Charlotte Amalie is roughly two miles.  It's walkable if you are into long walks.  

Edited by twangster