Jump to content

Where to snorkel Bonaire


Recommended Posts

We are a family of 6 (kids ages 12, 10, 8, and 5). We would like to snorkel while we are in Bonaire, but we are wondering which spots would be the best for our family. We are looking for a shallow area with reef close to the beach. Not something we have to snorkel out aways to reach because of our young children. We also don't want a guided tour because that will be too expensive. We are renting a golf cart and plan to take the water taxi if we decide to go over to Klein Bonaire. Any suggestions on the best snorkeling spot for our family?

Link to post
Share on other sites

We went to Spice Beach Club and snorkeled off the dock. We saw tons of fish. No coral or plants there. They don’t have a nice beach to enter into the water but we weren’t looking for a beach. Water shoes would be a must of you don’t go into the water off the dock/ladder. Food and beverages are available. We took a taxi there but I don’t remember how much. There is a water taxi that goes back to the docks . . . $5.00 each. Hope this gives you an idea. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

In my opinion, Klien is not the best for younger children. There's no facilities, and the water can get deep quickly. I personally recommend Plaza Resort. Nice beach, sandy, easy entry, There's a dock with a picnic table at the end where you can keep an eye on the kids. Drinks, food, bathrooms all right there. The reef is right up to the shore. My daughter went in and was not even up to her knees and she was absolutely mezmerized by the hundreds of fish. And you can walk there from the pier.

 

Edited by wishing4wind
added additional information
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 12/31/2018 at 7:38 AM, wishing4wind said:

In my opinion, Klien is not the best for younger children. There's no facilities, and the water can get deep quickly. I personally recommend Plaza Resort. Nice beach, sandy, easy entry, There's a dock with a picnic table at the end where you can keep an eye on the kids. Drinks, food, bathrooms all right there. The reef is right up to the shore. My daughter went in and was not even up to her knees and she was absolutely mezmerized by the hundreds of fish. And you can walk there from the pier.

 

 

Is this the Van der Valk Plaza Beach Resort?  I googled it and it shows 1.1k and a 13minute walk south of the cruise port...is this the one you are referring to?

Thank you so much!

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Bonaire+Cruise+Port,+Kralendijk,+Caribbean+Netherlands/Van+der+Valk+Plaza+Beach+Resort+Bonaire,+80+Julio+A.+Abraham+Boulevard,+Kralendijk,+Caribbean+Netherlands/@12.1424178,-68.2850326,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x8e831bae5332f88f:0xc427d35786452a94!2m2!1d-68.2772989!2d12.1469639!1m5!1m1!1s0x8e831b07f244110f:0x758395601cb02e05!2m2!1d-68.27574!2d12.13783!3e2

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

We were just at Plaza Resort last week. 

Great place, walking distance from port. 

We made mistake of taking taxi, waited over 15 minutes for a 5 minute ride!  We walked back. 

There are several day pass options, least expensive is $10 for chair and includes 1 basic drink. Great deal, but they do have pool option also. 

If you are lucky can snag a day bed with canopy. 

 

https://www.plazaresortbonaire.com/en/visitors/day-pass

 

Here is video I took snorkeling on the shoreline. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Be aware that KB has absolutely NO amenities - no shade, no [or little] water, no chairs, etc.  You can drift snorkel there, which is nice and easy, but the entry can be tricky.  I've read that the taxi sometimes will drop you off at the "start" point of the drift snorkel, so you can enter from the boat rather than from shore.  It's an easy snorkel, IF you don't have a problem getting in.  [The reef at the beach where you "land" is very close to shore and has only a few - and tricky - entry points to the water.  Once you get in, it's great!]

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2018 at 5:12 PM, island284 said:

We went to Spice Beach Club and snorkeled off the dock. We saw tons of fish. No coral or plants there. They don’t have a nice beach to enter into the water but we weren’t looking for a beach. Water shoes would be a must of you don’t go into the water off the dock/ladder. Food and beverages are available. We took a taxi there but I don’t remember how much. There is a water taxi that goes back to the docks . . . $5.00 each. Hope this gives you an idea. 

Did you have to make a reservation or did you just show up? I can't seem to find a way to contact them

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We just showed up.  I believe a chair/lounger for the day was $10. I don’t remember the cost of the taxi. When you are ready to leave they will call a taxi but we saw the water taxi coming so we hopped on it.  It’s about a 10 minute walk from where the water taxi docks  back to the port. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, island284 said:

We just showed up.  I believe a chair/lounger for the day was $10. I don’t remember the cost of the taxi. When you are ready to leave they will call a taxi but we saw the water taxi coming so we hopped on it.  It’s about a 10 minute walk from where the water taxi docks  back to the port. 

Awesome thank you!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com - June 2021
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...