any good books?

cruise fairy

I love reading and wanted to get suggestions for a good book for our March cruise.

I've just finished James Patterson's '4th of July' and 'The Lifeguard'. Starting his 'Mary Mary', so I will have finished that by the end of the weekend.

Not really a romance novel type gal, but do like suspense, legal drama and medical drama type books.

Any suggestions?

I like that type of book too and especially love James Patterson. Have you read all his other books? I especially like the Alex Cross series. Other favorite authors with books along these lines are Patricia Cornwell (medical suspense), Jonathan Kellerman and Stephen White (medical/psychological/suspense).

Then of course there is Robin Cook and John Saul. Their books could also be classed as Medical/Psychololgical/Suspense but are a little bit more far out. I like them too. Iris Johansen is another author you might look into.

I like that type of book too and especially love James Patterson. Have you read all his other books? I especially like the Alex Cross series.Yes, really enjoy this series (Mary, Mary is the latest) Other favorite authors with books along these lines are Patricia Cornwell (medical suspense), Jonathan Kellerman and Stephen White Haven't read him yet(medical/psychological/suspense).

Then of course there is Robin Cook and John Saul another I have't read... does he have anything new?. Their books could also be classed as Medical/Psychololgical/Suspense but are a little bit more far out. I like them too. Iris Johansen is another author you might look into.I really like her too.[/quote]

Thanks!

I love James Patterson, Johnathan Kellerman, Stephen White, Iris Johansen, Patricia Cornwell, Sue Grafton and Kathy Reich.

Kathy Reich is a forensic anthropologist and mystery writer. (There is a TV series called Bones losely based on her character, I think the books are better)

Sue Grafton writes a series called the Alphabet Mysteries about an investigator named Kinsey Millhone. A is for Alibi, B is for Burgler.....

For this last cruise I read "Memoirs of a Geisha," "Fashionistas", and "Double Homicide." The second book is more of a chick lit book. The third is a colloboration of Jonathan and Faye Kellerman with two mini-police detective stories. I've read most of Faye's books -- her main character in most of them is a police lt. working out of the LAPD Devonshire division, the actual police station that serves our area.

I'm a big fan of Cornwall's and Grafton's books but I was pretty caught up with their books available in paperback and I'm not going to lug around a hardcover around with me.

I always find Grishams books to be great traveling companions. Easy reads. The Testament, The Last Juror, and his A Painted House ( not so much legal on the last one) were fabulous poolside and airplane books.

Right now I'm reading David Sedaris' essays. They are hilarious easy fun reads. They're a little edgy with language and such and not dramatic in the least but sidesplitting stories about his life. Great for a smile. :)

I enjoy Anne Perry - Victorian Mysteries

Diane Mott Davidson - Culinary Mysteries ( I enjoy the recipes that are part of the book, my family loves the Jarlsberg Quiche that I make from one of her books)

and currently a friend introduced our family to Clive Cussler - NUMA Files Dirk Pitt Adventures

My first Historical Epic novel that I still read every few years is The Far Pavilions by MM Kaye

Of course there are always The Lord of the Rings Series, The Chronicles of Narnia, Dune, anything from Grisham, Mary Higgins Clark

Enjoy

I LOVE James Patterson,but wasnt impressed with Mary Mary..on the other hand,Ive never been able to get into Dean Koontz myself..but I LOVED his Odd Thomas book..It was a fun a read,kinda different,about a guy that sees dead ppl.My hubby loved it too.I got a sequel to it for Christmas( that Im saving for my cruise) called Forever Odd.It probably wont be as good,but am taking it anyway.Also,Nicholas Sparks At First Sight.

Also, I just finished Northern LIghts by J.D.Robb/Nora Roberts,and it was interesting since I had just been to Alaska in May.

Another fun read was Double Whammy by Carl Hiaasen.About murder,fishing tournments and a quirkly hermit that lives on road kill! Very entertaining book.

I also have Greg Iles Blood Memory,The Rising by Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins,Split Second by David Baldacci and Divided in Death by J.D. Robb/Nora Roberts.

So,I have a lot to read,but refuse to take more than one of my cruise.Enjoy your reads!

Dot

I read "Mary, Mary" on the Grand in December, it was very good but a quick read. Mysteries are my favorite -- love Tami Hoag, Sandra Brown, John Sandford's "Prey" series. For something to last, check out "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kosovo. A modern twist on the Dracula tale.

Here are a few that I would recommend:

State of Fear by Michael Critchton

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

The Broker by John Grisham

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

The Alienist by Caleb Carr

The Italian Secretary by Caleb Carr

For anyone sailing the Caribbean:

Caribbean by James Michener

For anyone going through the Panama Canal

Path Between The Seas : The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914 by David McCullough

I had a writing teacher that was so impressed by Connelly's The Poet (it was in hardcover then) that he has us read it for Intro to Fiction class. He invited Michael to speak to our class but unfortunately, I was having a major hay fever attack. Then a few months later, I spotted one of our sales staff (where I was working at the time) reading it. I told him that I was too sick to attend class and meet him. The salesguy said, "he's one of our clients and was in the other day."

Here's a suggestion if you want a good cry: "PS I Love You," by Cecilia Ahern, the daughter of the Irish Prime Minister.

I also a fan of James Patterson, but my favorite author is Nelson DeMille

He has so many incredible books and I just finished "Night Watch" a story about TWA flight 800. A must read!!

He too is my very favorite author!!!!!! I just can never wait until his next book comes out. If anyone is not familiar with him....go find a copy of "The Charm School", I guarantee you'll be hooked after the first page!!!

I always find Grishams books to be great traveling companions. Easy reads. The Testament, The Last Juror, and his A Painted House ( not so much legal on the last one) were fabulous poolside and airplane books.

Right now I'm reading David Sedaris' essays. They are hilarious easy fun reads. They're a little edgy with language and such and not dramatic in the least but sidesplitting stories about his life. Great for a smile. :)

I like Grisham also, read all of his books to date, hope he has a new one out by March, but haven't heard.

DH is currently reading Dedaris' essays as well, I hear him cracking up all the time.

Thanks for the input. :)

Any of David Baldacci books are great reads! Can't seem to put them down. Have read all of Dan Brown's books as well. Both are excellent authors and the suspense of their books will keep you riveted!

I love David Baldacci and plan to buy his new book today to read tomorrow on my day off. I haven't heard of Dan Brown - will need to look him up.

Archived