any good books?

cruise fairy

I love David Baldacci and plan to buy his new book today to read tomorrow on my day off. I haven't heard of Dan Brown - will need to look him up.

You must be one of the few people not to have hear of Dan Brown. He wrote The Da Vinci Code and 4 others. They are all good reads. If you are going to read them read Angels and Demons before Da Vinci

You must be one of the few people not to have hear of Dan Brown. He wrote The Da Vinci Code and 4 others. They are all good reads. If you are going to read them read Angels and Demons before Da Vinci

Ok - I feel stupid! Yea, I have heard of these books - I just never paid attention to who the author was. After a long trip to Italy a few years ago, I got "Renaissanced out" and have purposely avoided these novels for that reason.

Coral - Digital Fortress by Dan Brown is an awesome read and not at all "renassaincy". IMHO, I think it is right up there with the DaVinci Code!

I am reading the Poet right now by Michael Connelly. It got great reviews, but for some reason I'm having a hard time getting into it. I should finish the Poet today and will start reading the Narrows (looks like it is kind of a sequel) tomorrow.

My next book after the Narrows is The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly. Heard that this is a very good book.

My favorite books by James Patterson were Roses are red & Violets are blue. They are both part of the Alex Cross collection.

Also like Dan Brown & John Grisham.

Another book that I really liked is A million little pieces by James Frey.

For a no-brainer, I like to read Danielle Steel as well.

I read a lot of fantasy/scifi--Anne McCaffrey and Mercedes Lackey are 2 of my favorite authors. I don't like the one McCaffrey has written with her son as much, or the one her son recently released by himself. I also like Regency/historical romance. I've been reading a lot of Stephanie Laurens lately, and have read books by Mary Balogh, Julia Quinn, and other Regency/historical authors. I also read a lot of kids' books because, well, I've just never grown up in some ways! :o I've read Christopher Paolini's (I think that's his name--I don't have one of his books in front of me) Inheritance trilogy (at least, the first 2 books that have been published--am waiting for the third that's coming this summer), and discovered Cornelia Funke (Dragon Rider, Inkheart, Inkspell) last year.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of audio books--I got a pocket PC/phone this summer partly for that purpose--and also have been reading e-books. For my CB cruise in May, I will probably download several e-books as they will fit on a memory card and I won't have to pack bulky paperbacks. I read very quickly, and books would otherwise take up a great deal of room in my suitcase. Though I'm wondering if I'll be able to see the screen adequately on my balcony. We're on the Emerald Deck so the balcony will be covered, but I don't know if that will be sufficient in the glare of the Caribbean sun! I like the audio books because I sometimes listen to books that I've already read, and it's neat to hear them--sometimes you pick up things that you missed in reading the book.

I love most of the authors mentioned...but I have a book to recommend...although I cannot remember who wrote it. Try "Devils of the Deep Blue Sea". It is the history of the cruise industry. A little heavy in places but very interesting if you are a cruiseaholic like me...

Chris

If anyone is interested in a 'fun' easy read for your cruise (such as the Stephani Plum novels)... I highly recommend the "Undead" series... 'Undead & Unwed'... 'Undead & Unemployed'... 'Undead & Unappreciated'...

They are hilarious and extremely entertaining!

I always find Grishams books to be great traveling companions. Easy reads. The Testament, The Last Juror, and his A Painted House ( not so much legal on the last one) were fabulous poolside and airplane books.

Right now I'm reading David Sedaris' essays. They are hilarious easy fun reads. They're a little edgy with language and such and not dramatic in the least but sidesplitting stories about his life. Great for a smile. :)

Recommend Augusten Burroughs-Dry, Running with Scissors, and

Sellevision

John Kennedy O'Tolle (I think_-Confederacy of Dunces-my all

time favorite!

Someone else mentioned Michener's Caribbean. If doing the western Caribbean, you might want to try Mexico by Michener. Then, to plan for future cruising, read Michener's Alaska. Reading about Alaska and then going there will give you a good perspective of life up there.

Jim

If you like well-written historical novels, I recently read "The Other Boleyn Girl" by Phillipa Gregory. Incredible book and great author. I went out and bought several other books by her to read.

Another of my favorite authors is Rosamund Pilcher. Some of her books are just romance but others are thought-provoking and an insight into life in England during WWII.

I agree with most of the above, the others, I just haven't read. Only one person mentioned Kite Runner, so I will second that. It was truly excellent and I never would have expected it to be. I used to read alot of Robert Ludlum, and they are still good thrillers to read. Gold Coast is about my neighborhood, so I enjoyed that, especially when he referred to the garden center that they never would have gone to if they were really living where they did.

Also like Nora Roberts. She had a trilogy "In the Garden". Also, although I am not an Oprah fan, she just endorsed the book "Night", by Elie Weisel. It is very short, and a story that people should really read. When I read it, I had a greater understanding of what my mother-in-law went through. She is about his age, and although she speaks very little about her experiences in the concentration camps, what he had to say tied alot of little things together.

If you like well-written historical novels, I recently read "The Other Boleyn Girl" by Phillipa Gregory. Incredible book and great author. I went out and bought several other books by her to read.

Excellent recommendation!! I'm not even a fan of historical fiction, but I would highly recommend this book!!!

(I did the same thing... after I read it, I read several more of her books!)

Some lesser known authors you might like to try are Charles Martin and Steve Berry. Two completely different story tellers, but both are worth the time. I like Doreatha Franklin(at least I think that is her Name, wrote Shem Creek), Jan Karon(The Mitford Series), and Barbara Taylor Bradford.

Try Harlan Coben's Tell No One, Gone for Good, Just One Look, No Second Chance, The Innocent. I couldn't put those stories down! I also like Carl Hiaasen (too many to list), and Elmore Leonard's, Out of Sight, Get Shorty, and Be Cool. I just read Agatha Christie's Caribbean Mystery (short but good Caribbean atmosphere). I am trying to find a couple of good titles to set aside for my next trip ;) .

Renee

I agree with most of the above, the others, I just haven't read. Only one person mentioned Kite Runner, so I will second that. It was truly excellent and I never would have expected it to be. Also like Nora Roberts. She had a trilogy "In the Garden".
I second (or is that "third"?) the suggestion for The Kite Runner and the In the Garden trilogy by Nora Roberts. Actually, I like anything by Nora Roberts.

<<I love David Baldacci and plan to buy his new book today to read tomorrow on my day off. I haven't heard of Dan Brown - will need to look him up.>>

Coral,

Dan Brown's book, the Da Vinci Code, has been on the NY Times Bestseller list for something like two years! I didn't think I'd like it at all, but with all the hoopla, I decided to try it and it was fantastic!

I think my favorite author of books similar to what the original poster said she liked, is Stephen White. Psychological suspense, I guess it would be called. He has written a series of books with the same characters like James Patterson. I'm taking ones of his books with me on my February cruise.

For fun, fast-read, funny mysteries, I really enjoy Tamar Myers. Her "Den of Antiquity" antique related mysteries which are based in Charlotte, NC and Charleston, SC. She has an Amish culinary mystery series that is also very funny and are fast-reads.

I am a big Tony Hillerman fan and like Native American mysteries. If there is a writer of this genre that I like better than Hillerman, it is Kirk Mitchell. He incorporates a bit more of the N.A. myths and ceremonies in his writing. If you read Mitchell, start with his first mystery "Cry Dance" as it sets up the relationship between his 2 investigators. You don't have to read it to understand the rest of the series but it will provide the foundation to fully enjoy the nuances in the other books.

Archived