Wheelchairs on Oceania

katz

Please tell me if O ships are wheelchair accessible.  Their website is down for repairs right now.  My friend is interested in cruising with his husband who is in a wheelchair.  He uses the chair most of the time, but is not confined to it.  

We cruise on the smaller O ships, and I haven't really noticed wheelchairs.  

Thank you for your help.

The O class ship  might  be  if  they can get an h/c cabin

Is it  a folding chair ?

The doorways on the R ships  will probably not be suitable  unless a folding one

JMO

https://oceaniacruises.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360005294554-Am-I-allowed-to-bring-a-wheel-chair-or-scooter-onboard-

They could always  call  Oceania   & ask

I've seen walkers and scooters on all the ships, but perhaps the only wheelchair I saw was the one I used when I tore my meniscus in November '05!   That was provided to me by the waiters in the GDR ...

We were lucky because we were in an Owner's Suite on that cruise (the only time we've ever been in such fine digs).  I don't remember a problem with the doorway in that suite but I do suspect that Lyn is correct about other cabins.  I was able to get out of the chair in order to enter or leave the room but I don't remember if we needed to fold the chair up to get IT into the room.  I don't think so, however.

The OS was mostly valuable in that I could use it getting around the room ... I couldn't have done that in PH and lower cabins.  (This was an OS on Regatta.)

Most rooms DO have a step UP into the bathroom ...

Mura

Getting around most of the public areas of an 'R' class ship will not be a problem but the doors on the pool deck going from outside to inside are heavy and would be difficult for anyone in a wheelchair to open by themselves.   Deck 11 is not accessible for wheelchairs but the main things there are mini golf and shuffleboard.  There are no special spots in the main lounge for wheelchairs but if someone gets there early enough a good spot usually can be found by moving a regular chair.

If necessary staff will help with getting up and down the gangway. 

Regular cabins are a bit tight for turning around in a wheelchair and the washroom are not accessible - if someone is mobile enough to walk around in a cabin they will be fine.   

Not Oceania specific, but as you are likely aware, in many ports ships dock in industrial ports and passengers are required to take a shuttle to the port gate - this means you need to be able climb a few steps to get on the shuttle.  Also, the free shuttles Oceania offers in many cities from the port to some point in the city - these very rarely would be accessible - again you need to be able to climb the bus steps.

Thank you, everyone, for the information.  I have passed the info on to our friends and referred them to the disabled cruising board.

We travel with a BIL, on Princess, who uses a wheelchair most of the time..  He uses a smaller chair while on board, but still has to walk into the cabin.  Princess has been very good helping him to get on and off tenders and shuttles.

Thank you for your help.