Magic to Sensation

akmom1heck

In 2017 my family took a spring break cruise on the Magic for my son's senior year of high school. Well, 2020 is my daughter's senior year and we are looking to go again. The only cruises I can find that fit our spring break timeline are on the Elation and the Sensation. The Sensation is to places we haven't been yet. My question is, will my family be disappointed by an older ship since their first experience was on a newer one?

There won't be as many activities for you to do on sea days but you can still find things to do.  It all depends on what appeals to your family?  On the Magic, what did they do with free time.  Review the ship info on Carnival site so see what options you will have.  I'm happy on either ship, whether new or old, but I'm easy to appease. Any cruise is better than no cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

They will notice the smaller scale and older décor of the ship, but many activities, services, and dining options are similar across the Carnival line. Depends what they liked about the Magic in particular and you can check whether those favorites are on the other ships.  We did Triumph and then Sensation.  Triumph was, admittedly, in rather well worn condition, so she did not really spoil us for Sensation.  My husband said the overall experience was exactly the same.  I would note that the staterooms on Sensation were smaller than Triumph, and what they call suites are pretty modest. Upgrading to a balcony room might make sense for a bit more space, or even better, 2 connecting cabins.

Also, it's early for spring break 2020.  It's possible another line will have something available at a similar price point. By booking an inside guarantee cabin we were able to get on Oasis of the Seas for this past spring break at a price we could live with.  Norwegian is often in a similar price range as well (have not personally sailed them).

We also have to cruise based on a tight school schedule and so we are not strictly loyal to any one line.  Also having travelled extensively my whole life, mostly in budget accommodations but occasionally 5*, I simply don't put my vacations in competition with each other.  Each trip I figure out the options within a reasonable budget, and then present myself and travelling companions with the deal:  We can do this vacation, which will offer these amenities.  Or, we can stay home. Which do you want?  If they accept they are not allowed to be disappointed. :classic_wink: They actually do decline sometimes and then I either take the feedback and return to the drawing board or I defer and we use the time to rest at the house instead.

If your family expects Sensation to be anything like Magic you will be disappointed.  If you believe any day at sea is a good day like I do, you will be happy on any ship.  As stated previously, I would review what you did on Magic and then check Carnival’s website to see if those activities are available on Sensation.  

We are somewhat in the same boat- We did Allure of the seas this year at spring break for my kids first cruise, and they loved all the activities and how much was going on, and now we have magic booked for spring break 2020.  Just setting their expectations ahead of time helps (both them and my wife, as she much preferred the Allure over the smaller ship Jewel of the Seas we did the year before without the kids).

For us, the ports are the big draw on this cruise, as they are all new, and supposed to be incredible, and for myself and my older son, we are pumped to scuba dive in Grand turks and maybe aruba or curacao.