Dover cruise port

theavonb

Sorry I can't really help theavonb but I just wanted to say that you're in the right place to ask this question and I'm sure someone will be able to help. This is the board for questions about Britain. 

I used to live in the South East and in those days, you had to go from Dover to London Victoria and onwards to Gatwick. Things may have improved  but anyway  it would be a good idea to see if your cruise line has a coach transfer as they often do. 

Edited by tartanexile81
  • Like 1

If you are just going straight to LGW, this is one of the few times the cruise line transfer might be the best option. A car service would be at least (guessing) £150, as it is not a regular route for any of the south coast taxi firms. Train and coach would involve travelling into and back out of London. However, of the two, train would be quickest. About £26 for a 2 1/2 hr journey via London St. Pancras. Go to http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk and use DVP(Dover Priory) to GTW(Gatwick) as you departure and arrival points. Tickets can be booked 12 weeks out. It also depends on what your flight time will be. You will also need a cab from the cruise terminal to the station; about £7.

Simon

• Thanks 1

With cruise luggage to handle, a private hire car would be my choice. The cost will be North of £100 but maybe not as far up as £150. If you could find someone to share, the cost would be cut by a half. By car you should allow 1½ hours; by train, an hour more.

You should email a local Dover taxi operator for a price. Here are a couple, picked at random.

info@dovertaxis.com

dealcars@hotmail.co.uk

Edited by Bob++
  • Thanks 1

Most journeys in the UK (and in Europe generally) can be done waaaay cheaper than ship's transfer, by public transport or private transfer.

But like Simon I'd consider ship's coach transfer for this journey because trains & Nat Express coaches go via a change in central London.

To Bob's private transfer suggestions add 

http://www.folkestonetaxi.com/

http://www.dovertaxis.com/

Both are experienced in LGW transfers for locals, for X-channel ferry passengers & for cruise passengers.

For two, prices will probably be comparable to ship's coach transfer and cheaper pp for 3 or more 

JB :classic_smile:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, theavonb said:

Wow almost $200.00 Canadian to go by taxi from Dover to Gatwick? I will keep searching I think.  Keep the ideas coming please.

What does  the cruise line charge for their shuttle?

what time is your flight ?

46 minutes ago, theavonb said:

Wow almost $200.00 Canadian to go by taxi from Dover to Gatwick? I will keep searching I think.  Keep the ideas coming please.

It is about 80 miles and will take at least one and a half hours to drive, hence the cost.

i would just go with the cruise line transfer coach.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theavonb said:

200 CAD is about £110.

And that's about the rate.

For instance Folkestone Taxis quote £90 from Folkestone, and Dover is just a little further.

Ships' bus transfers seem to be quite variable - last I heard Princess was reasonable at around 65 USD pp, but RCI was over 100 USD.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, PhilbeachTraveller said:

Also try Premier Taxis: https://www.premiertaxisfolkestone.co.uk/

They are used a lot for transfers to Gatwick. 

Yes, I'd forgotten about them.

Their quoted rate of £75 is from Folkestone , so again with a Dover start you'd have to add a little.

But still cheaper than others that I've seen

btw, Phil is the local guy for Dover - more-informed about the local scene than the rest of us.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, theavonb said:

Don't know yet, my PVP is on vacation right now. Flights not booked at this time.

maybe ask on the cruiseline forum 

people have probably done the shuttle trip  before so can give you an idea of price  PP

• Like 1