Christmas on Fantasty

bcirish

Have friends who will be on Fantasy for Christmas and are wondering if there will be a service or Christmas Carols or anything special - anyone have an idea how to find out? Also Any tips for first timers with teen and tween? to do or avoid. Are all of the eating places open or are they limited to Lido when they board. Is Open table worth the upcahrge - that is if they have it on Fantasy. Someone

said kids eat free in upscale with upcharge- which ones would that be on Fantasy. Again - thanks. 

THanks 

Typically the ships have theming and music for holidays but have never seen anyone mention a faith-based holiday service, though it seems feasible. Someone else may know, or they can call Carnival in advance, and of course the Fun Times or other in-room paperwork will advertise it, if applicable.

For teens and tweens, the big tip is to send them to the first evening meet and greet type event at the respective kid clubs for their age groups - Camp Ocean (up to 11) Circle C (12-14) or O2 (15-17).  Kids tend to find their tribe at that first event, bond and hang out with the same group of friends throughout the cruise. 

Avoid letting the kids have unlimited money on their Sail and Sign accounts as they can blow hundreds or more in the arcade which has these terrible games to try to win electronics - like Claw games or similar supposedly skill-based games that you are not going to win but drop a few bucks each time you try.

On boarding day you will have Guy's Burger Joint and Blue Iguana Cantina Taco and Burrito bar open - right by the pool area - as well as the buffet.  There is not a ton of seating and you may see lines but they move pretty quickly.

The only upcharge dining on Fantasy is a nightly group of 4 upgraded entrees in the main dining room, such as surf and turf, Seuss breakfast, and a very small Chef's table event, which is close to $100 per person.  Kids do not get these free; if they want them the charge is the same.  I have never done these upcharges, but have seen many reviews from people who did the Chef's table who said it was worth it.  For me there is already too much good food free on any cruise and I won't get more enjoyment from the fancier food. I guess I am not tuned in to the "finer things."  The Seuss breakfast is full of little kids, but is a cute character event on one of the sea days for a small upcharge (was $5 last time I was on Carnival) with themed entrees like a stack of pancakes striped like the Cat in the Hat's hat.  If their teens like that sort of thing it's probably worth looking into. If they are cool and jaded and through with little kid stuff. . . . maybe not. :)

My favorite Carnival food upgrade hack is that on the Seaday Brunch in the dining room, they have steak and eggs which includes a small filet mignon with no upcharge and has been excellent in my experience. 

This ship is Carnival's oldest and smallest and was built before the era of specialty restaurants (and lots of extra fees for dining).   It's a great choice for a first cruise.  This is the ship that ushered in the era of modern cruising. So successful that 7 more were built just like it, and all are still in service having carried many millions of happy cruisers, and then the newer Carnival ships were basically enlarged versions of the same basic design.  

Most important tip? Find out what you love most about cruising and have a fabulous vacation!

Edited by KmomChicago

When I sailed at Christmas time, they had special Christmas shows in the main theater, caroling and snow in the atrium, an ugly sweater contest and all sorts of fun activities.  They will have a blast.  The Fun Times that they get every day will announce any special events for each day of the cruise.