SINGAPORE HOTELS

We will be in Singa for 10 nights between cruises, perhaps there is a vacant cell at Singapore Central Police Stn for Uncle Les and his other half.😂  But to be serious booking direct with the hotel's own website is often a better deal.

4 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Just a reminder to all on privacy and who is watching what we do. I checked trivago for the going rates of Singapore Hotels and am now getting Singapore Hotel ads on my home page .

Big Brother is watching.

It's really weird when you google something at work and then ads for it come up on your home computer.

As for Singapore, we stayed at Novotel Clarke Quay a few years ago.  Clarke Quay is a great area and handy to everything.  Discovered food was real cheap (and tasty) in the foodcourts which were everywhere.  I think we were paying about $3 - $5 a plate.

35 minutes ago, Mr&MrsCookie said:

It's really weird when you google something at work and then ads for it come up on your home computer.

As for Singapore, we stayed at Novotel Clarke Quay a few years ago.  Clarke Quay is a great area and handy to everything.  Discovered food was real cheap (and tasty) in the foodcourts which were everywhere.  I think we were paying about $3 - $5 a plate.

Way to go, washed down with a Tiger Beer - ice cold. Wine is too expensive in Singapore - heavily taxed.

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

We are staying at the M hotel when we are in Singapore next year. It is pretty handy to Clarke Quay and the cruise terminal.

I will keep that in mind, thanks Mic.  Now I wonder if Garlos pies have expanded to Singapore? Must find out from Sean Garlick.

Edited by NSWP

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

We will be in Singa for 10 nights between cruises, perhaps there is a vacant cell at Singapore Central Police Stn for Uncle Les and his other half.😂  But to be serious booking direct with the hotel's own website is often a better deal.

If  you are staying for 10 days , have you checked out the serviced apartment scene . May be a better option. .?

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Way to go, washed down with a Tiger Beer - ice cold. Wine is too expensive in Singapore - heavily taxed.

A few years ago I wandered into the markets under the residential towers in China Town.

Woman running the drinks stand looked at me and said “You an Australian. You need beer.”

it it went down really well.

Back to the Pan Pacific, I was staying there as part of the Australian Veterans Fencing Team. One of my team mates said we should go for a drink, and there was a good bar next door.

It turned out to be a German brewery bar. It also turned out to be Oktoberfest. 

Great experience drinking German beer, with German food in Singapore — being entertained by a real oompah band.

6 hours ago, Mr&MrsCookie said:

That's because you're logged in on the same account, often facebook, but it can also be google or other services for example.

16 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

If  you are staying for 10 days , have you checked out the serviced apartment scene . May be a better option. .?

I am thanks David.  Bit of space and kitchenette goes well for 10 days.

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

You would need a cooktop for those.

Indeed Mic and the Ascott Raffles Place is looking good for a cook up, MTR to the Cruise Terminal and Airport right there. Short walk to the Marina Bay area.

Studio Apartments @ AU$245 a night if you join their 'advantage club' which I have.  No deposit, just CC guarantee.

Marina Bay Sands is the only hotel I would look at to stay at in Singapore now. Probably out of the previous people who posted price range, but the hotel is outstanding and is now probably the most iconic in Singapore and more famous than Raffles.

As you say, a high price. 

There's a much better sweet spot for value, but MBS trades on it being the top end and prices accordingly. Nothing wrong with it, but for me the premium isn't worth it. i.e. you pay about 3 times as much as elsewhere, but you don't get 3x as much value.

Edited by The_Big_M

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

I have a place booked near Marina bay and transport for $160 AUD with breakfast.

But we are in Singa 10 nights between Majestic and Sapphire, need a bit of space for a cook up, hence the apartment.

Marina Bay Sands looks good, but $500 per night is over the top for us, especially for 10 nights.  $250 a night for a 4.5 star apartment is ok with us.

Edited by NSWP

54 minutes ago, NSWP said:

But we are in Singa 10 nights between Majestic and Sapphire, need a bit of space for a cook up, hence the apartment.

Marina Bay Sands looks good, but $500 per night is over the top for us, especially for 10 nights.  $250 a night for a 4.5 star apartment is ok with us.

Heres a clip on the construction of that hotel

If you get the chance , watch Amazing Hotels- Life beyond the Lobby  - Episode 1- Marina Bay Sands -its a BBC doco.