Spain, Portugal and France in late October?

ThursdayNext10

We took our first cruise this summer with our two children (9 and 14) to the Norwegian Fjords on Britannia. We had such a wonderful time that we are thinking of trying another trip. We would have liked to book for next summer but none of us are keen on the heat of the med. So, instead we are looking at October half term.

The Spain, Portugal and France trip (N930) looks perfect but I wonder if we are likely to have a very bad crossing at this time? 

Our eldest is quite travel sick (fine on our July Norway cruise) and don't want to book if we are highly likely to encounter very rough seas. We are not too worried what the weather is like when we get to each port, although, of course, sunshine would be nice :classic_biggrin:

Does anyone have any stories (good or bad) or cruise travel at this time?

Thank you 😊

Thursday

Yes, have crossed the Bay of Biscay and been in the Med at this time of year many times.  How long is a piece of string.  a few times it was like a millpond, another time we had a Force 10 in the Med itself .  It's not possible to be sure at any time of year.

We sailed the Med last month. As mentioned above, the weather and sea conditions can change considerably from one day to the next. Some times we had absolutely perfect weather days with calm seas, clear skies and mild temperatures, and the next we had choppy seas, with rainy and cold conditions. But overall, we didn’t encounter anything worse than what we’ve experienced on other cruises, in other parts of the world, or at any other time of the year. 

Before I took this cruise, I obsessed about what the weather would be like, not only on the cruise, but also flying across the Atlantic at that time of year. Turns out that I worried for nothing. We had mostly turbulence-free flights going and returning, and while we had a few gloomy days, in the most part we had great weather to explore the various ports of call around the Mediterranean. 

We travelled down to Vigo and Lisbon on Azura in mid April this year and leaving Southampton it was nice spring weather unfortunately not long after we got into open seas it was rough all the way down to Vigo 36 hours later, my partner does get motion/travel sick and despite taking max dose stugeron and wearing motion sickness seabands she struggled and very nearly disembarked at Vigo to fly home, it wasn't much better on the way down to Lisbon or for that matter on the way back. 

It was my 6th cruise and I'd not experienced seas like them as had many of our fellow passengers so it may have been rare but you should definitely be prepared to experience all sorts of weather and conditions outside of the summer season. 

Not trying to dissuade you but sharing our experience with you.

Thanks Anne141 - unfortunately Oceano is not scheduled for the school hols otherwise it would have been perfect. We did also look at a TUI fly cruise to the med, which I quite liked the look of, but my husband was less keen on the ports and we were very happy with P and O for our Norway cruse.