New to NCL

debgreg

Hi,

we usually cruise on RCI the larger ships, Ovation, Symphony, Indy etc but we want to try something different in the Caribbean  in March . I have been looking at NCL as it seems similar, lots to do, flexible dining etc, although at the minute it is coming up quite a bit higher. We always get the drinks package on RCI but I’ve read on here something about charges for NCL AI ( service charge) does this apply to UK packages? Which ship has the most to do, I’m not really too bothered about the itinerary as we have only cruised the Caribbean once before, but obviously we will need to be able to fly from Manchester in the UK and this is a problem for Miami as we would have to go via London or Dublin. 

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Would it be easier for you to fly from the UK into New York City? NCL Escape has a 7-day to Florida/Nassau and NCL Gem has a 10-day southern Caribbean, both out of NYC, during March. Never been on the Gem, but was on the Escape (a mega ship) twice and love it. Beautiful ship and great entertainment.

Also, if you can wait until April/May, the Escape has a 7-day cruise out of NYC to Bermuda. You sail to Bermuda and dock there three days then return to NYC. It's nice being in Bermuda three days because you don't have to rush back to the ship each day to go to another port. We did this last June and enjoyed it so much that we're doing it again this year.

On 1/6/2019 at 10:44 AM, debgreg said:

We always get the drinks package on RCI but I’ve read on here something about charges for NCL AI ( service charge) does this apply to UK packages?

To be clear on this point, there is no other gratuity or service charge to pay if you book all inclusive in the U.K. All you may get charged for is if you get a drink more than $15 then you pay the difference (plus gratuity on that difference) and when in port you may be charged tax on the value of the drink.

The talk on these boards of having to pay a service charge on the drinks package doesn’t apply to us. Neither do we have to pay the service charge which gets added to the onboard account each day (the DSC).

Hi debgreg and everyone else.

The NCL AlI Inclusive package purchased by UK cruisers includes the drinks package and associated gratuities, it also includes the Daily Service Charge (DSC) additionally you get 1 litre of bottled water per day per passenger, an hour of free wifi per person and speciality coffees when you eat in the restaurants (not the buffet). In theory you coul purchase the All Inclusive package and not have to spend anything else. So while it seems more expensive there are a lot of factors to be taken into consideration.

You can fly to New York (JFK) from Manchester and sail from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal. You would need to get to New York at least one day early because it would be a struggle to get through immigration etc. and travel to the cruise terminal from JFK and arrive 2 hours before sailing. Its a great chance to get a couple of extra days to see New York. We've been fortunate enough to sail from New York on both the Escape and the Gem and they are both great ships although the Gem may be a bit small if you prefer the RCI mega boats.

6 hours ago, zuzka61 said:

NCL has a cruise departing out of Boston on March 29.

We are on this cruise, but I think they are looking for a large ships (with NCL I prefer Gem sized ship).

Also if they are flying anyway I would fly directly to Miami so there is no 3 days each way.