Amenities in Cabins

cruisequeen10

My sister cruised on HAL a few years ago and one of the amenities left in bathroom staterooms was the BEST ginseng body lotion … it was a light peachy colour, a very light spicy fragrance, wasn't greasy on the skin and came in a tiny plastic bottle. Does HAL still provide this lotion in staterooms or is it even available for purchase in the gift shops?

In all my travels I don't recall seeing a lotion such as you describe.

HAL has been using a lotion called "Royal Dutch"; it's a creamy white, and very nice. There have been reports on this board that HAL is changing to a different brand, but in either case it's not what you are asking about.

Cruisequeen10,

I know exactly the lotion you describe, and no, unfortunately, they don't provide that one anymore...but it was too wonderful for words. I think my first HAL cruise was on the Veendam around 9 years ago and the 2nd one was the Zaandam around 6 years ago and they had that wonderful lotion then, but no more. Too bad. I brought a couple of the small lotions home and anytime I was really low, I'd open one up and re-live the wonderful cruise experience. As RuthC said, it is now the "Royal Dutch" which is nice, but I still miss the ginsing/ginger lotion you refer to. Nice sensory memory...

Guest Celestia

HAL has been using a lotion called "Royal Dutch"; it's a creamy white, and very nice.

I wish they'd sell larger bottles of the RD lotion....I'd happily purchase it.

I've yet to find a lotion 'on land' that I liked as much, and am carefully rationing the two extra little bottles our last stateroom attendant slipped me the last night of our cruise!

FW&FS,

Celestia

I still have my bottle of the peach colored ginseng lotion. I think I got it on my 2003 Alaskan cruise on the Maasdam. Last 2 cruises the cabin has been stocked with the white Royal Dutch lotion.

Roz

• 2 weeks later...
Do they supply shampoo, soap etc in the lowest inside cabins.

Steerage ain't what it used to be way back when---

There's plain and bath soap, combination shampoo/conditioner, and lotion even in the lowest category cabins. There's also a shower cap.

• 2 weeks later...

There's refrigerators in every cabin of the Vista-class ships; in the PH, S, A, B cabins of the S- and R-class. (I haven't a clue about Prinsendam.) If you are in a cabin without a fridge, and want/need one, have your TA put in a request to rent one.

Canvas bags are still left the night before the first port. Once upon a time it was one per person; lately it's one per couple, one for each lady not traveling together (share). I don't know if it's one or two when it's two women traveling together in the same cabin, or if there's more than two in the cabin.

Archived