zitsky

Mediterranean Odyssey - Rome excursion

This seems to be the only port with an all day excursion.  I suppose because of distance to Rome?  What time does the Rome excursion leave and return?  I suppose there are several different times?  I am debating whether to do this location on my own with a private tour guide.

Yes, the ship actually docks in Civitavecchia, not Rome.  According to our shore excursion offerings for our March cruise, the HIghlights of Rome tour leaves at 7:45am and returns at 6:15pm.  Only one time is offered.  We are choosing to do the Rome tour with ItalyTours instead.  It also leaves at 7:45am and is an 8 hour tour, but a smaller group, more sights included and less $$.  Is that the tour group you were looking at?  They also offer private tours at a higher cost, but we are doing one with others from the ship (8).

Have not booked anything.  Saw recommendation for Rome Cab and Italy Tours.

44 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Have not booked anything.  Saw recommendation for Rome Cab and Italy Tours.

I did the same as above for the same reasons and I give you a little info in some of my posts.  That excursion started at 7:30 for our cruise.

4 hours ago, K9pal said:

Yes, the ship actually docks in Civitavecchia, not Rome.  According to our shore excursion offerings for our March cruise, the HIghlights of Rome tour leaves at 7:45am and returns at 6:15pm.  Only one time is offered.  We are choosing to do the Rome tour with ItalyTours instead.  It also leaves at 7:45am and is an 8 hour tour, but a smaller group, more sights included and less $$.  Is that the tour group you were looking at?  They also offer private tours at a higher cost, but we are doing one with others from the ship (8).

K9pal, are they picking you up at the ship?  What is your itinerary?

3 minutes ago, zitsky said:

K9pal, are they picking you up at the ship?  What is your itinerary?

Check it out on Italytours.eu.  They pick you up and deliver you.  They get you skip the line tickets for both Colosseum and Vatican and can provide guides at both locations or not, your decision.  They cover the sights in between with the driver.  from our ship there were 12 of us that they kept in 2 groups of 6 until we met the guide at the Vatican and after the tour they divided us again for transport back to the ship.  They start at around 99 Euros and then with each add on the price inflates but I believe our cost was around 179 Euros but the site can give you exact price.  It covers both these big sites and the ships excursions covered one or the other and if the full day cover both it was way over this price.  You could do it on your own but it is so much easier, under the time constraints if you don't have to think about the logistics and can concentrate on just seeing what there is to see.  Especially if you have never been there.  Also, if you get it set up now, it gets it in front of the people and the passengers that are looking for a bargain or can't get on the ships excursions then have a ready made option.  You still have time to cancel if they don't make without a cost to you.  We used the company in 4 ports and we added to the tours that were already started once we saw what we were able to get through the ship.  I should have used them in Marseilles as well since they had the excursion I wanted but didn't think I could make it work since we only had two in our group.  We tried through Viking in putting 2 excursions together but the connections didn't work .out

The included tour in Rome is called Snapshots of Rome and is 5.5 hours long (not to be confused with Highlights of Rome & the Colliseum, which is a full-day paid tour). It leaves between 8am and 9am and is back on board during the lunch hours. We did it because we knew we would still be fighting jetlag and I did indeed sleep most of the way too and from the ship. We have been to Rome before and seen all the highlights upclose and personal, so this was just a nice drive around the city.

Snapshot is a drive-by tour of Rome ending at the Vatican with time to use the bathrooms, shop and maybe get into the Basilica if the line isn't too long. We lucked out. We were there on Monday, New Year's Eve. Offices were closed and traffic was light, so we did not spend much time waiting in traffic. However, tourists were out in droves at the Vatican and we chose not stand in line. Instead we walked along the Tiber.  The tour makes one other stop for pictures at the Circus Maximus; it is the only time (other than the pitstop at a service station) that you get off the bus.

Please don't ask me what we saw exactly because the only answer you will get is that we saw a lot of Roman ruins and marble buildings. I think we hit the highlights: most of the 7 major churches (like St. John in Lateran, Saint Paul outside the wall, St. Mary Major, etc.), Circus Maximum, Colliseum, Victor Emmanuel Monument, Via Veneto, etc.

Thank you for that detailed review.  We might do a private tour to get off the bus.

6 hours ago, zitsky said:

Thank you for that detailed review.  We might do a private tour to get off the bus.

Dauntless gave you the same info on the ItalyTours that I have.  On the day we are there the Vatican is closed, so we have been told they will fill the extra time in however we want.  They will meet us at the ship with an 8 person tour van.  The cost is $99 euros plus the Colosseum tour which is an add'l $24 Euros (skip the line tickets).  The ship tour for the full day is $199 USD, so we are still saving $$, and have a much smaller group (no more than 16 people per guide).  We can cancel with a full refund right up to 24 hrs in advance I believe, and they are VERY responsive to all questions.  While I haven't been on any tours with them yet, I can say that so far I am very impressed.  They also get high ratings on Tripadvisor.