Shipboard Credit Question

llarosa

Hi all.  I'm new to NCL and we just booked a cruise for less than a month from now.  I'm looking at a shore excursion and wonder if I should book in advance.  I will have shipboard credit to use as well as the "free at sea" perk that gives us $50 per port for excursions.  When I look at reserving the excursion, I am about to check out and it looks like I am going to be charged full price.  Will the perk ($50) be applied later or is that only good for excursions that are booked at sea?  And what about my shipboard credit - can I use it on this?

Thanks so much for your help.

Lynne

You need to call NCL to reserve the excursions and let them know you want to use your excursion credit for it.  They will put in the reservation and hold it for settlement once you are onboard.  (We are in this situation right now, too.)  Not sure about the onboard credit question.

Peace!

• Like 1

We're also new to NCL and have only traveled on Celebrity so far. Am I understanding the the $50 credit will only be applied after you take an excursion? So we may be credited $50 after every excursion but it won't be credited to the excursion? We'll have to use it for some other on board charge?

Just now, TrustMeI'mANurse said:

We're also new to NCL and have only traveled on Celebrity so far. Am I understanding the the $50 credit will only be applied after you take an excursion? Yes So we may be credited $50 after every excursion but it won't be credited to the excursion? True We'll have to use it for some other on board charge? Yes.

Yes, that is true.

When you call the Excursion 800 number, they will take your reservation but not charge you. This is why you have to call and not do it online. Once you take the excursion, you are charged and the credit is applied. So, for example, you take a $125 excursion then the charge will be $125 and a credit of $50 thus a net $75.   You may also book on board and it's treated the same way.  It is $50 per cabin not per person, if you don't take the excursion you don't receive a $50 credit to your account (use it or lose it) and the excursion credit can only be used one per port (except Bermuda where it's one per day in port)....meaning you can't combine from a previous port  

32 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Yes, that is true.

You will be charged once on board for all of your excursions if you call and reserve them. As you take each excursion you will be credit $50 reducing the amount of the excursion. You don’t have to spend the credit on anything else. If you pre pay them you still will be issued a credit after each excursion and you can use that credit anyway you want including getting it refunded to you if you don’t have any other on board charges.

2 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

The $50 credit will be applied to your OBA only when you have taken the excursion. You'll be paying full price for the excursion initially - either via online, phone or when on board.

Incorrect.

1 hour ago, TrustMeI'mANurse said:

We're also new to NCL and have only traveled on Celebrity so far. Am I understanding the the $50 credit will only be applied after you take an excursion? Yes. So we may be credited $50 after every excursion but it won't be credited to the excursion? It pays for the shore excursion if you book it correctly (see below) We'll have to use it for some other on board charge? No, the $50 is used to pay for the shore excursion (see below)

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

Yes, that is true.

So let's fix the incorrect answers. 

The  instructions for the promotion directs that you call NCL and book your shore excursions. "Shore excursion credit can be redeemed by calling 1-866-625-1167 " If you call, they will book the excursion and NOT charge you anything for the excursion at time of booking. 

1) You book on the phone without getting charged (do NOT do-it-yourself online)

2) On board, all of your excursions will be charged to your on board account on embarkation day

3) As you complete each excursion, a $50 credit is placed on your account to help "pay for" the excursion. You spend the $50 to pay for the shore excursion. 

4) By booking on the phone without payment, you can also use other OBC you may have received as a promotion or gift from a TA to pay for your shore excursion. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

So let's fix the incorrect answers. 

The  instructions for the promotion directs that you call NCL and book your shore excursions. "Shore excursion credit can be redeemed by calling 1-866-625-1167 " If you call, they will book the excursion and NOT charge you anything for the excursion at time of booking. 

1) You book on the phone without getting charged (do NOT do-it-yourself online)

2) On board, all of your excursions will be charged to your on board account on embarkation day

3) As you complete each excursion, a $50 credit is placed on your account to help "pay for" the excursion. You spend the $50 to pay for the shore excursion. 

4) By booking on the phone without payment, you can also use other OBC you may have received as a promotion or gift from a TA to pay for your shore excursion. 

Do people actually read an entire thread before posting? Just curious, does using RED make it better? 

Edited by esm54687

Do people actually read an entire thread before posting? 

NO!!!   It is quite common for people to read the original question and then immediately use the "Reply to this topic" above the original.   Too often someone replies and virtually the same answer comes from someone else one or two posts later; usually a couple of hours later.

On the odd occasion that happens within a couple of minutes so the first response would have arrived while the second was being written.

1 hour ago, cmecruise1962 said:

I have a slightly different question...if we take a $35 excursion, will it be $20 for both of us?  I thought it was for one person per cabin, but if it's per cabin. that's awesome!

It's $50 per cabin per port.  You are correct in your estimate.

2 hours ago, cmecruise1962 said:

I have a slightly different question...if we take a $35 excursion, will it be $20 for both of us?  I thought it was for one person per cabin, but if it's per cabin. that's awesome!

Yes, as I mentioned it is $50 per cabin per port (except in Bermuda where you're docked for multiple days).    If the total excursion price being charged to the cabin is less than the $50.... you do NOT get the balance as OBC.

Provided that one of you has booked and is paying for both.  If you have two separate accounts then I doubt you would get "half" each